[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chiefs want 1st, 2nd, & 3rd rounders for LJ

kingfish247

I typically don't have much love for players holding out for better contracts, but given what LJ went through last year, his age, and what they're paying him, I'm 100% behind him if he holds out. If he's going to be limping around like Earl Campbell when he's 50, he deserves the tens of millions that he's asking for.

Well written Bill. I wholeheartedly agree.

Well written Bill. I wholeheartedly agree.

416 carries last season and just plain lighting up the league the season before deserves a lot more than the Chiefs are putting on the table. The Chiefs are being dumb on this one, they should pay the guy franchise back money or at least really sweeten his take for this season.

It's been well-documented at how much the Chiefs loved Proest Holmes' attitude and professionalism...and how they do not like LJ's "chip on his shoulder." Is it possible that this is all a ploy to get him fired up to continue to produce at a high level? Make him mad so he goes out and runs hard? If so, I think it is a bad strategy; don't ever piss off your best player like that. He just may not even show up for work or, if he does, when the time comes that he can walk, he will do just that.

Why are you calling him boy?

You and PD in some kind of club? :D:tup:

Because he's not a girl? :D

And I think LJ has every right to not honor his contract. After all, he signed it with his agents help, I assume. Who would have thought he would later become worth more?! Be a man, LJ. Honor your word first. Which of us would put up with the horrible job of being a millionaire to play a game?! Ship his ass to Iraq.

Maybe all the soldiers should just hold out, too.

It's been well-documented at how much the Chiefs loved Proest Holmes' attitude and professionalism...and how they do not like LJ's "chip on his shoulder." Is it possible that this is all a ploy to get him fired up to continue to produce at a high level? Make him mad so he goes out and runs hard? If so, I think it is a bad strategy; don't ever piss off your best player like that. He just may not even show up for work or, if he does, when the time comes that he can walk, he will do just that.

i don't think it's a ploy but my guess is that their personal feelings towards LJ are impacting what they want to pay him

I thought it was quite funny myself at the time, now way you're going to get all those picks and especially from Thompson who appeared to be the only interested suitor. They never planned to trade him thus the reason they had such high demands.

I thought of this after watching a bit of Sportscenter this morning...

Now I know Thompson plays close to the vest when it comes to draft picks but look at it this way... if almost any NFC team with lackluster RB situations were able to pull off a trade for LJ, that team would immediately be a frontrunner for the NFC title and maybe even a contender.

Carolina... yes they have DeAngelo but to add LJ to an offense with Steve Smith would be ridiculous. The defense is pretty good too.

Packers... their D is pretty solid. They get after the QB and their LBs are nice. What better way to keep Favre's mistakes in check than to hand off to LJ.

Giants... no better way to replace Tiki. Takes a load off of Eli as well.

Bucs... veteran QB, Caddy is inconsistent, the D is aging but still has it in them to make another run.

Lions... some of the hype about them being an outstanding offense would finally be deserved. They would go from an at best 7-9 team to definitely in the hunt for the NFC North.

Falcons... maybe not immediate NFC contenders (as I said above) but what better way to say good riddance to Vick than to sign a superstar RB. It would make Petrino's offense look good right away. Might make the Falcons forget that Joey Harrington is their QB.

I thought of this after watching a bit of Sportscenter this morning...

Now I know Thompson plays close to the vest when it comes to draft picks but look at it this way... if almost any NFC team with lackluster RB situations were able to pull off a trade for LJ, that team would immediately be a frontrunner for the NFC title and maybe even a contender.

Carolina... yes they have DeAngelo but to add LJ to an offense with Steve Smith would be ridiculous. The defense is pretty good too.

Packers... their D is pretty solid. They get after the QB and their LBs are nice. What better way to keep Favre's mistakes in check than to hand off to LJ.

Giants... no better way to replace Tiki. Takes a load off of Eli as well.

Bucs... veteran QB, Caddy is inconsistent, the D is aging but still has it in them to make another run.

Lions... some of the hype about them being an outstanding offense would finally be deserved. They would go from an at best 7-9 team to definitely in the hunt for the NFC North.

Falcons... maybe not immediate NFC contenders (as I said above) but what better way to say good riddance to Vick than to sign a superstar RB. It would make Petrino's offense look good right away. Might make the Falcons forget that Joey Harrington is their QB.

I see no way that Carolina would trade for him. That is crazy.

I see no way that Carolina would trade for him. That is crazy.

It's all unlikely, and sounds crazy, b/c the sticker shock of giving up a 1/2/3 but there's no guarantee next year's 1/2/3 will even make difference in the next 3-4 years.

LJ absolutley would for all of those teams starting THIS year, especially in a weak NFC.

It's all unlikely, and sounds crazy, b/c the sticker shock of giving up a 1/2/3 but there's no guarantee next year's 1/2/3 will even make difference in the next 3-4 years.

LJ absolutley would for all of those teams starting THIS year, especially in a weak NFC.

But like you said, Carolina has DeAngelo. They have installed a new running style that is tailored to him. Why would they give that up now?

But like you said, Carolina has DeAngelo. They have installed a new running style that is tailored to him. Why would they give that up now?

Good insurance to have for LJ and would be an outstanding complement.

Their 2003 SB seems like a long time ago especially with how the team struggled on O last year.

They're also going to have to keep pace with Brees, Bush, McCallister, Colston, Henderon etc.

Adding LJ, NO suddenly has the second best RB tandem in the division and that's saying a lot.

It's all conjecture but it just illustrates the impact that LJ would have on any team... especially in the muddled middle of the NFC.

If you are a contender, you'd have to look at it right now. The window's not open forever for those top tier teams and LJ is a franchise player. Get him, make your run and go with your vets for two years. Let the youthquake come in two years.

NYG would be a perfect place for him, IMO, since Jacobs is untested and Droughs is a plugger. Big stage, good team that needs a star... :D

Good insurance to have for LJ and would be an outstanding complement.

Their 2003 SB seems like a long time ago especially with how the team struggled on O last year.

They're also going to have to keep pace with Brees, Bush, McCallister, Colston, Henderon etc.

Adding LJ, NO suddenly has the second best RB tandem in the division and that's saying a lot.

It's all conjecture but it just illustrates the impact that LJ would have on any team... especially in the muddled middle of the NFC.

If I am the Carolina GM, there is no way I trade my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd draft picks for LJ and to think of him as a "complement" or "insurance." Not even a question in my mind. If I am any of those other teams, I would definitely consider it.

My whole attitude about players holding out changed dramatically after 2005. Javon Walker reported to camp without a new contract at the start of the season and then blew out his knee Week 1. Drew Brees was given the franchise tag and then busted up his shoulder in a meaningless game in Week 17. Fortunately, it worked out for both of them in the end, but I now have a much greater appreciation for where these guys are coming from as players. Yeah, a lot of these guys are taking home more money than most of us will ever see, but you can't blame a guy in any profession for not wanting to leave money on the table when he's at the top of his game.

Edited by tomfin2000

My whole attitude about players holding out changed dramatically after 2005. Javon Walker reported to camp without a new contract at the start of the season and then blew out his knee Week 1. Drew Brees was given the franchise tag and then busted up his shoulder in a meaningless game in Week 17. Fortunately, it worked out for both of them in the end, but I now have a much greater appreciation for where these guys are coming from as players. Yeah, a lot of these guys are taking home more money than most of us will ever see, but you can't blame a guy in any profession for not wanting to leave money on the table when he's at the top of his game.

I agree with all your points but then you have guys like Owens. Philly tears up his old contract and signs him to a new contract. Then after one year he wanted the Eagles to re-work the deal.