[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Treated lumber

H8tank

It wasn't a year but it was a good 9-10 months before I stained mine. Its lasted 12 years now without replaced any planks. I reseal every two years.

Sain with some color acts like an ultravioler filter. Itr's in shade 100% of the time?

Don't use Thompsons. I like Cabots in a cedar color or Sikkens. You can spray with a good pump(garden) sprayer but I prefer a good bristle brush(Purdy). And I would also put another coat on in 2-3 years.

Sain with some color acts like an ultravioler filter. Itr's in shade 100% of the time?

Don't use Thompsons. I like Cabots in a cedar color or Sikkens. You can spray with a good pump(garden) sprayer but I prefer a good bristle brush(Purdy). And I would also put another coat on in 2-3 years.

I use Flood CWF-UV Cedar stain. My stairs and deck get about 50-50 shade/direct sunlight.

I understand it's too late for H8M8 (well that's a true statement if there ever was one...). Honestly though, it is freaking poison. Regardless of where you fall in the "love the planet" debate, what about "love your freaking backyard"?

In my opinion, this stuff is just plain nasty but I suppose you could make an argument for using it under the house, etc. But your freaking deck? I understand that most natural options are rather expensive (but very attractive), there are so many composites available now.

Edited by detlef

I used Behr (i think), Home Depot had it for $18 per gallon plus a $6 rebate.

Just out of curiosity, what is wrong with Thompsons? I know the original thompsons isnt the greatest quality but they do have a thompsons plus or something like that.

I just used Cabot Clear Solutions on mine. Cedar tinted. Looks awesome. I only had to do the railings though. We used a synthetic for the actual decking.

I thought of using the synthetic. How did it turn out and how did it hold up to the weather? Did it retain its color or did it fade after a year or two. I ended up using pressure treated when i did mine this summer ... I did the deck and made some built in benches.

Before you stain/seal (which you must do) you need to use a deck wash on it to remove the mill glaze that is on the wood. I would use a garden sprayer to apply the deck wash, let it work for whatever time the directions say and use a SMALL powerwasher to take it off.......let it dry for a day or two (or how ever long it takes) then stain/seal it. I like the cedar tone stains as well.

Remember never use a high powered pressure washer on wood, it WILL damage it. I've used 1100 psi or less and even then watch what you're doing.

You will need to restain the decking boards every couple years...just repeat the steps above....the rails probably will last a lot longer.