[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Arthur Blank to speak at 4 PM EST

DMD

I'd like a link to that. Since he took over steroids went nuts, the strike crippled the game, steroids got WORSE and interleague ball has lost its luster and has the game in a competitive imbalance most seasons. Wild Card? That's about it that's positive.

He's been accused of collusion three times: twice by Fay Vincent - one for pushing him out, and the other that resulted in MLB paying $280mil to the players after Selig and others kept the FA market down one off-season. The 3rd time was settled out of court for an undisclosed amount after racketeering charges were brought against him and Loria by Expos minority owners. He tied the All Star game.

Finally, in front of congressional hearings on steroids (during the Sosa/McGuire/Palmeiro love fest), he was stopped in mid answer by a senator because the answer was becoming so wildly unbelievable that the senator took he time IN THE MIDDLE OF THE HEARINGS to remind Selig what the definition of perjury was. :D

In short, I'd like to see any 'true' baseball historian who thinks he's one of the best. He's one of the most corrupt to be sure.

Not to mention Selig's expansion teams, one of which is a complete failure and another is looking to bolt for Las Vegas. And let's not forget Bud Lite's brilliant idea of an exhibition game with fan-voted lineups determining home-field advantage in the World Series. :D

Selig wasn't responsible for the steroid problem and I understand that the strike that he inherited tied his hands somewhat. But the way that he cowered in front of an out-of-control player's union made the steroid situation and the economic disparity between teams even worse. The only real positive that I'll remember from the Selig era is watching my Pale Hose win a World Series.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like a link to that. Since he took over steroids went nuts, the strike crippled the game, steroids got WORSE and interleague ball has lost its luster and has the game in a competitive imbalance most seasons. Wild Card? That's about it that's positive.

He's been accused of collusion three times: twice by Fay Vincent - one for pushing him out, and the other that resulted in MLB paying $280mil to the players after Selig and others kept the FA market down one off-season. The 3rd time was settled out of court for an undisclosed amount after racketeering charges were brought against him and Loria by Expos minority owners. He tied the All Star game.

Finally, in front of congressional hearings on steroids (during the Sosa/McGuire/Palmeiro love fest), he was stopped in mid answer by a senator because the answer was becoming so wildly unbelievable that the senator took he time IN THE MIDDLE OF THE HEARINGS to remind Selig what the definition of perjury was. :D

In short, I'd like to see any 'true' baseball historian who thinks he's one of the best. He's one of the most corrupt to be sure.

I for one agree with all you have said. Many broadcasters though have praised him though, including Pat Hughes, the radio play-by-play guy for the Cubs. I respect his opinion very much so, one of the best in the business. Ron Santo has also said that along with that many of his former teammates say the same thing. The guys on Baseball Tonight have said that too. As fans, many, if not most, dislike Selig. But among others, there is a strong backing for Selig.

I for one agree with all you have said. Many broadcasters though have praised him though, including Pat Hughes, the radio play-by-play guy for the Cubs. I respect his opinion very much so, one of the best in the business. Ron Santo has also said that along with that many of his former teammates say the same thing. The guys on Baseball Tonight have said that too. As fans, many, if not most, dislike Selig. But among others, there is a strong backing for Selig.

There's probably no incentive to make sure they continue to have good access to the Commissioner's office...right?

I'm as big a Cubs fan as the nex guy, and acknowledge Pat as a great announcer, and what Ron lacks in radio talent more than makes up for with his passion for the game. That being said, Selig is king of the midwest Old Boys Network that will, for instance, block Mark Cuban's attempted acquisition of the Cubs in favor of a guys name I cannot recall, but is a minority owner -currently- of the Brewers and who is an old friend of Selig's. He'll pay less than the Cuban offer and still get the team. Mark my words.

Pat has to acknowledge that. He recently had Selig in the booth and it was softball after softball. I won't get worked up about that though, baseball on radio is meant for my enertainment pretty much, as it's a perfeect marriage of medium and sport.

I can honestly say I never expected to read so much about Bud Selig in a thread announcing that Arthur Blank will speak today at 4pm EST. I guess the commissioner of baseball has a lot in common with an owner of an NFL team.

:D

They are talking but nothing really that new. They wanted to suspend him but Goodell said no.

Ah, didn't realize that was part of what he already said. Thanks.

Wow, that's pretty harsh when your boss comes out and says, "I really wanted to suspend him, but was overruled by a higher power." Looks like Blank is definitely no longer in this guy's corner.

They are talking but nothing really that new. They wanted to suspend him but Goodell said no.

What??? :D Goodell said no? That means that he will wait to see what's presented, how Vick pleads and decide on mo appropriate (ie, LONGER) punishment.

Ah, didn't realize that was part of what he already said. Thanks.

Wow, that's pretty harsh when your boss comes out and says, "I really wanted to suspend him, but was overruled by a higher power." Looks like Blank is definitely no longer in this guy's corner.

Along those lines, he said that when he saw the indictment, he didn't think this was the Michael Vick he knew.

Arthur Blank looks very distraught up there.

I think it's likely this is a posturing move. As a business man, it is smart to say you would have come down hard on Vick but were overruled. Blank would look like the good guy. Had Blank said: "He's our guy until the evidence convicts him", he would have looked like he was siding with Vick, which is clearly not what the public/media/activists want to hear, and in turn, Blank and the Falcons would have been chastised. This way, he steps away from Vick. The only thing lost for Blank is Vick's trust, but clearly Blank does not feel that is worth nearly as much as the public image of the 2007-08 Falcons.