[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Arthur Blank to speak at 4 PM EST

DMD

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's likely this is a posturing move. As a business man, it is smart to say you would have come down hard on Vick but were overruled. Blank would look like the good guy. Had Blank said: "He's our guy until the evidence convicts him", he would have looked like he was siding with Vick, which is clearly not what the public/media/activists want to hear, and in turn, Blank and the Falcons would have been chastised. This way, he steps away from Vick. The only thing lost for Blank is Vick's trust, but clearly Blank does not feel that is worth nearly as much as the public image of the 2007-08 Falcons.

I agree. But I imagine that Blank is also massively pissed about Vick betraying his trust.

ESPN feed is done. Another thing that is important is that Blank said he did not agree at all with the leave of absence.

Hmm...wonder how he meant that. Did not agree with it in that it should not have happened or he should have been suspended?

Hmm...wonder how he meant that. Did not agree with it in that it should not have happened or he should have been suspended?

He said he wanted to suspend him for four games. They started the paperwork but Goodell said no.

Couple of more interesting things the guys are saying on ESPN: Back near the draft, Goodell said that not knowing what is going on your property is not an excuse in his mind. It is Vick's responsibility. Vick led him to believe that it was just his friends/cousins. Even if that is the case, and Vick had nothing to do with it, Chris Mortensen sees this heading towards a year suspension, if not longer, for that sole reason.

One of the charges in the indictment is "conspiracy crime" idea. There is no one on this forum that can tell me Mike Vick had no idea what was going on on his property. That is a crime, plain and simple.

They are saying that the reason Goodell did not allow the Falcons to suspend him is that if Vick got the four game suspension, he would have been allowed in training camp and file a grievance. Goodell did not want that at all; he wanted Vick out of public eye.

Edited by Goopster24

They are saying that the reason Goodell did not allow the Falcons to suspend him is that if Vick got the four game suspension, he would have been allowed in training camp and file a grievance. Goodell did not want that at all; he wanted Vick out of public eye.

Smart people...they know all of the consequences of each action and their "waiting" to make some sort of a decision was just them being really smart.

Smart people...they know all of the consequences of each action and their "waiting" to make some sort of a decision was just them being really smart.

Agreed, I applaud Goodell on this one. He is not stepping into this too fast and he is making sure he sets a good precedent.

Agreed, I applaud Goodell on this one. He is not stepping into this too fast and he is making sure he sets a good precedent.

This far, he is making all the right moves, Goop. He walked into a pretty tough situation, having to clean up someone's mess, and had handled it all with aplomb.

I would like to know what Blank's reasoning is for being against the Leave of Absence. :D

Possibly because it doesn't come down as hard on Vich as a suspension? Maybe because he has to pay Vick now and it revolts him to do so?

I would like to know what Blank's reasoning is for being against the Leave of Absence. :D

I don't see how they could have given him it. Someone mentioned it in another thread, but it would set an awful precedent. Anyone who is in a sticky situation would be able to ask for that and expect to get paid at the same time. That is a complete joke, especially considering the fact that Vick or whoever would be in that situation PUT THEMSELEVES IN IT!

Broncosn05...seriously, the poor kid must be devastated...

Was working tool. Some of us have jobs.

Correct. Knew that yesterday. Vick can't challenge Goodell's decisions.

edit- btw the most the Falcons could do is suspend him for 4 games for conduct detrimental to the team. Goodell plays as God.

Edited by broncosn05

Was working tool. Some of us have jobs.

Correct. Knew that yesterday. Vick can't challenge Goodell's decisions.

edit- btw the most the Falcons could do is suspend him for 4 games for conduct detrimental to the team. Goodell plays as God.

What are you talking about? Vick can challenge Goodell's decisions all he wants. It's called the NFL Players Association. Pacman was going to appeal but he dropped it. Who knows if the NFLPA would even defend Vick though.

Edited by Goopster24

What are you talking about? Vick can challenge Goodell's decisions all he wants. It's called the NFL Players Association. Pacman was going to appeal but he dropped it. Who knows if the NFLPA would even defend Vick though.

Goodell found that it was against the NFL Personal Conduct Policy. Goodell holds more cards than the Falcons do.