[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Arthur Blank to speak at 4 PM EST

DMD

i think some of you are letting your blind hatred of vick as a player -- something that was clearly evident among about 70% of huddlers long before we heard anything about dog-fighting, based in my opinion on people calling him a good QB when you see him as such a bad passer -- cloud your assessment of the facts here.

You've been guilty of saying some incredibly stupid things and defending indefensible positions before, but I think you've outdone yourself with this little gem of idiocy.

if he pleas, as i expect him to, and receives a short jail sentence, serves a year suspension, and so on...i think it is far more likely he comes back to the NFL as a falcon than playing for any other team. i could be wrong obviously, but i feel pretty strongly that is the case.

That you know the law well is undeniable. That you are out of touch with the business end of the NFL as well as the human element also seems undeniable.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't know how you can read the attempted 4-game suspension as anything BUT an attempt to take it out of the league's hands with a preemptive punishment, with an eye toward vick playing for the falcons THIS season. there is no way they push a 4-game suspension if there intention is getting him out of a falcons jersey for good.

This is about as stupid a statement as I have read on these boards. Preemptive punishment? An eye toward vick playing for the Falcons THIS season?

It is simply amazing to me how many people are wearing blinders. You simply refuse to see the reality of the situation. The Falcons are finished with Vick. How it comes down is simply a legal formality from this point forward.

The Falcons only concern is keeping as much of their money as they can, while distancing themselves from this thug as painlessly as possible. Vick is as done as a steak you forgot on the barbecue grill overnight.

Oh, and by the way I hate to break this to all you Vick freaks, but there is no Santa Claus either.

Edited by rattsass

Once again, they can't cut him now if they expect to get money back. Four game suspension would have been the band-aid from the Falcons standpoint, letting them do more later once they know even more details or the result. The TC ban is a band-aid from Goodell for the same thing. So say that the Falcons do in fact want to get rid of him. They would be very smart to wait because they can recoup money from the contract. Who knows if they have decided, but if they did, they are going to wait.

it would be easy for them to say something to the effect of "if these allegations are proven true in any way, michael vick's days as an atlanta falcon are over". such a statement would not expose them to the financial ramifications of cutting him right now, but would signal a clear intention to be rid of vick. given all the heat they are facing from the media, season ticket holders, etc., there is every incentive in the world for the falcons to make such a statement....IF their intention with regard to vick at this point was to be rid of him for good. everybody knows 4 games is on the extreme low end of what vick is likely to miss as a result of these charges. that the falcons tried to get the jump on the commish with what amounts to a lowball offer shows that, indeed, they want his banishment to be as short as possible. now, i don't by any stretch think it's a cinch that vick comes back with the falcons....i think they are very clearly trying to keep their options open as they watch how this shakes out. but it is obvious to me from yesterday's presser that the falcons organization is NOT 100% decided that vick will never play for their team again. if they were, they would have signalled as much, and they would not have tried to jump in with a 4-game suspension.

it would be easy for them to say something to the effect of "if these allegations are proven true in any way, michael vick's days as an atlanta falcon are over". such a statement would not expose them to the financial ramifications of cutting him right now, but would signal a clear intention to be rid of vick. given all the heat they are facing from the media, season ticket holders, etc., there is every incentive in the world for the falcons to make such a statement....IF their intention with regard to vick at this point was to be rid of him for good. everybody knows 4 games is on the extreme low end of what vick is likely to miss as a result of these charges. that the falcons tried to get the jump on the commish with what amounts to a lowball offer shows that, indeed, they want his banishment to be as short as possible. now, i don't by any stretch think it's a cinch that vick comes back with the falcons....i think they are very clearly trying to keep their options open as they watch how this shakes out. but it is obvious to me from yesterday's presser that the falcons organization is NOT 100% decided that vick will never play for their team again. if they were, they would have signalled as much, and they would not have tried to jump in with a 4-game suspension.

I respect your opinion but I couldn’t disagree with you any more. They have all the incentive to say that statement? Are you kidding me? How can they say that before anything has gone down? That would show already bad blood and set a black and white scenario which they don’t want. They want all options open still, like you said, and Goodell has allowed them that with his decision.

How can you say that them wanting a four game suspension shows that they want the banishment to be as short as possible? They had to do something, and I think you would agree with that. That was all they could do from their standpoint besides cutting him! Of course they aren’t 100% decided whether or not Vick will play again with them; they are waiting to see how all this plays out.

Here is a great read by Clayton:

Link

Falcons owner Arthur Blank and general manager Rich McKay spoke extensively Tuesday about quarterback Michael Vick, and the tone of the news conference was in past tense.

Though innocent until proven guilty, Vick, the face of the Falcons' franchise, is on the outside looking in. His days as a Falcon appear to be numbered. Blank, McKay and the Falcons are ready to move on while Vick fights his dogfighting case in a federal courtroom in Richmond, Va. Blank drafted the language of a four-game suspension but didn't serve it because commissioner Roger Goodell stepped in and put Vick's status on hold.

For years, Blank and entire Falcons organization stood behind Vick with zeal. Vick was exciting. He filled the Georgia Dome with fans. Blank rewarded him with a $130 million contract extension with a belief that Vick's magic legs and powerful arm could carry the organization to the Super Bowl.

That Blank was willing to suspend him for four games even before Vick registers a plea to his federal indictment was telling. The one-time leader of the Falcons' offense is no longer in a position to lead. He was the toast of Atlanta. Now, he's toast. To regain his standing with the organization, he'll have to fight and defeat these charges and then try to fight his way back on the roster.

Imagine the anger of the owner, flying back from an African vacation, when he learned the details of Vick's indictment. The crime of dogfighting is so disgusting and embarrassing that the front office spent days studying ways to separate itself from Vick instead of embracing him. Blank and McKay studied the concepts of just releasing him. They settled on suspending him.

Blank didn't want to give Vick a paid leave of absence. To potentially pay Vick $6 million and then learn he is guilty didn't work for an owner who has pride in the businesses he owns. If anything, the Falcons might look to reclaim some of the money he's been paid.

Understand that the decision by Goodell to order Vick out of camp was a compromise mutually worked out between the NFLPA, the league and the Falcons. The Falcons decided to keep him off the field as long as they could. Rules mandate team suspensions can't be longer than four games. Blank wanted the max.

The three parties worked all day Monday to come up with what everyone thought could be an acceptable solution. Credit Goodell with a save in some regards, but what he can't patch is the icy relationship Vick now has with the Falcons. It is likely Goodell will let a good portion of the training camp pass before he lets Vick return.

Anyone thinking Vick will be part of the Falcons this year is living in a fantasy world. It's possible, but odds are building against it. First, he has to clear his name from the dogfighting rap. It's Joey Harrington's team temporarily. Vick remains part of the team, but he's on his own for the time being. John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Besides being a tool (ESPN analyst) this little perv has probably never touched a football.

:D

What's your point? Because he said that Vick is essentially done, you are bashing on him? Real mature. Have you ever picked up a football besides in pee-wee flag?

Edited by Goopster24

I think I'm finding myself agreeing with Az and his opinion of Atlanta's motives towards Vick.

Let's speculate a little bit. IF the Falcons wanted Vick to get back on the field as soon as possible, but still have to deal with the PR nightmare, how would they do it? They would want to be the first to act by imposing a 4 game suspension. If they waited for teh league to suspend Vick first, then their team imposed suspension would be on top of what the league would hand down. By giving Vick a 4 game suspension first, it would be more likely that the league would jsut extend that suspension which would probably end up being less overall time than if the league acted first followed by a team suspension. Also, by wanting to give Vick a team imposed 4 game suspension, he would still have been available to work with everyone during Training Camp. That Blank is so obviously against the Leave of Absence suggests that he wants Vick to be at Training Camp. Doesn't it? :D

I think I'm finding myself agreeing with Az and his opinion of Atlanta's motives towards Vick.

Let's speculate a little bit. IF the Falcons wanted Vick to get back on the field as soon as possible, but still have to deal with the PR nightmare, how would they do it? They would want to be the first to act by imposing a 4 game suspension. If they waited for teh league to suspend Vick first, then their team imposed suspension would be on top of what the league would hand down. By giving Vick a 4 game suspension first, it would be more likely that the league would jsut extend that suspension which would probably end up being less overall time than if the league acted first followed by a team suspension. Also, by wanting to give Vick a team imposed 4 game suspension, he would still have been available to work with everyone during Training Camp. That Blank is so obviously against the Leave of Absence suggests that he wants Vick to be at Training Camp. Doesn't it? :D

He was against "paid" leave of absence.....not for a LOA. The 4 game suspension was the "max" the Falcs could do, I read it to say...."I'd give him more, but the NFL rules have to start with 4 game's and go from there."

Not necessarily. It’s obvious that Goodell wants Vick out of public sight. Look what Clayton said, and this makes perfect sense:

Blank didn't want to give Vick a paid leave of absence. To potentially pay Vick $6 million and then learn he is guilty didn't work for an owner who has pride in the businesses he owns. If anything, the Falcons might look to reclaim some of the money he's been paid.

We are obviously all guessing what we think Blank is thinking but I don’t see how people think that right now, Blank wants Vick on the field.

What's your point? Because he said that Vick is essentially done, you are bashing on him? Real mature. Have you ever picked up a football besides in pee-wee flag?

:D Real mature. I f'n love it. This is a topic in which everyone has an opinion of what is happening. Clayton, I'm sure, has no idea what is going on more than you or me. He has his opinion and so do I. And I've never been a big fan of Clayton. I switch the channel when he comes on because of it.

:D Real mature. I f'n love it. This is a topic in which everyone has an opinion of what is happening. Clayton, I'm sure, has no idea what is going on more than you or me. He has his opinion and so do I. And I've never been a big fan of Clayton. I switch the channel when he comes on because of it.

I respect your opinion but I couldn’t disagree with you any more. They have all the incentive to say that statement? Are you kidding me? How can they say that before anything has gone down? That would show already bad blood and set a black and white scenario which they don’t want. They want all options open still, like you said, and Goodell has allowed them that with his decision.

Of course they aren’t 100% decided whether or not Vick will play again with them; they are waiting to see how all this plays out.

exactly. thank you. they want to keep all their options open. which means they HAVEN'T conclusively chosen the option where he's played his last game as an atlanta falcon. if they HAVE chosen that option, yesterday's presser would have gone down a lot differently.

let me put it this way, if they HAD conclusively decided that they just want to be rid of vick for good, why wouldn't they have signalled as much yesterday with a statement like i suggested in my last post? they certainly could have done so without immediately cutting him and exposing themselves to cap ramifications. and ever more indicative, why on earth would they try and step in front of the commish with their attempted 4-game suspension (that would have vick IN camp, and done with his suspension a month into the season)? with the commish axe still looming, that one makes no sense whatsoever if their intention is to sever all ties.

exactly. thank you. they want to keep all their options open. which means they HAVEN'T conclusively chosen the option where he's played his last game as an atlanta falcon. if they HAVE chosen that option, yesterday's presser would have gone down a lot differently.

let me put it this way, if they HAD conclusively decided that they just want to be rid of vick for good, why wouldn't they have signalled as much yesterday with a statement like i suggested in my last post? they certainly could have done so without immediately cutting him and exposing themselves to cap ramifications. and ever more indicative, why on earth would they try and step in front of the commish with their attempted 4-game suspension (that would have vick IN camp, and done with his suspension a month into the season)? with the commish axe still looming, that one makes no sense whatsoever if their intention is to sever all ties.

Because that would be moronic to say something like that. Like you have said, they are waiting. They are obviously pissed off. There is no reason to say that at all, even if they know they want to release him. I personally think they would look bad for saying that. They would have put themselves in a corner if they did that.

And they weren’t stepping in front of him really, they were just taking the action in their own hands. They knew they had to do something to save some face.

Because that would be moronic to say something like that. Like you have said, they are waiting. They are obviously pissed off.

Agreed, agreed, and agreed.

Why come out and show your cards now when Vick is scheduled to enter his plea TOMORROW?

is the leave of absence goodell has placed vick on a paid one? i think the distinctions clayton/goop are trying to make between paid leave and unpaid leave are phony ones. the real difference between the falcons and the commish's office is the falcons wanted to jump in and impose the "maximum" sentence of 4 games (which we all know in this case is realistically the absolute minimum punishment vick can expect to be looking at), while goodell wants to defer judgment until he has the facts at hand to really lay down the hammer. clayton's argument seems to be that blank is mr. tough guy and goodell is mr. nice guy. reality is it's the exact opposite.

is the leave of absence goodell has placed vick on a paid one? i think the distinctions clayton/goop are trying to make between paid leave and unpaid leave are phony ones. the real difference between the falcons and the commish's office is the falcons wanted to jump in and impose the "maximum" sentence of 4 games (which we all know in this case is realistically the absolute minimum punishment vick can expect to be looking at), while goodell wants to defer judgment until he has the facts at hand to really lay down the hammer. clayton's argument seems to be that blank is mr. tough guy and goodell is mr. nice guy. reality is it's the exact opposite.

When did I make a distinction between paid and unpaid? He is being paid for training camp, which is like a grand a week.

Why would you want to pay a guy for a LOA that probably will be found guilty? That is stupid. Goodell stepped in because he wanted Vick out of the spotlight. He didn’t want him at training camp because it would be a circus.

I can’t see how you think Blank still is on Vick’s side. He is obviously distraught.