[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Stern is on now

DMD

This press conference is likely the toughest given by any commish in any professional sport.

I would not want to be a professional referee now with anything in my background because all sports are now going to really go back over their staff with a fine toothed comb. I half wonder if the FBI won't now be a part of security checks on referees for this reason - it is HUGE in so many ways for this to happen.

Man. Stern picked one bad time to get the NBA commish job. This press conference is likely the toughest given by any commish in any professional sport.

I would not want to be a professional referee now with anything in my background because all sports are now going to really go back over their staff with a fine toothed comb. I half wonder if the FBI won't now be a part of security checks on referees for this reason - it is HUGE in so many ways for this to happen.

What's going on???

found it.....ouch..

Donaghy

Edited by Big Dogs

:doh: what was so bad about February 1, 1984? :D

welll... this is why I do not write about basketball. :D

wonder what I was confusing him with? :tup:

So then this is ALL on him and his staff for letting this little gem go by unnoticed. Though the league evidently had investigated that ref a few years ago and found nothing.

This press conference is likely the toughest given by any commish in any professional sport.

I would not want to be a professional referee now with anything in my background because all sports are now going to really go back over their staff with a fine toothed comb. I half wonder if the FBI won't now be a part of security checks on referees for this reason - it is HUGH in so many ways for this to happen.

I agree. This has to be a very difficult issue for a commish to handle.

btw - I corrected a word in your final sentence. :D

Edited by max

The NFL has a committee that every Monday goes through and looks into games that were close to the point spread and had close calls. The NBA has never done anything like that.

In addition, the NFL looks at every single decision made in every game, going through a lengthy debrief with every ref. Too many bad decisions and you're quickly history as an NFL ref.

In addition, the NFL looks at every single decision made in every game, going through a lengthy debrief with every ref. Too many bad decisions and you're quickly history as an NFL ref.

How much do NFL refs make, compared to the NBA and MLB?

The NFL has a committee that every Monday goes through and looks into games that were close to the point spread and had close calls. The NBA has never done anything like that.

I have a friend who is an NFL ref and the commitee goes through all of the games not just the ones with a close to the point spread and close calls. Then you are graded by the commitee. The ref team with the highest grades at the end of the season get to call the playoff and SB which is where the real money is for the refs.

Edited by Sugar Magnolia

How much do NFL refs make, compared to the NBA and MLB?

:D

Major League Baseball (MLB) pays umpires anywhere from $100,000 to $280,000 US for the 162-game season, in addition to the tidy sum of over $50,000 per season for expenses. This does not include the cost of first-class air travel, which is provided. The lucky ones that get to call the games in the postseason make somewhere in the ballpark of $20,000, excluding expenses.

National Basketball Association (NBA) referees earn anywhere from $90,000 to $225,000 for their hard work.

Incidentally, while the National Hockey League's (NHL) athletes make less than their brethren in football, basketball and baseball, no other officials in any of the four major sports leagues make more than those in the NHL, where starters get a $115,000 salary. After a 15-year career, an NHL referee may be looking at an annual pay upwards of $220,000.

The National Football League (NFL) pays referees anywhere from $25,000 to $70,000 per season. When you consider that the league plays 16 games and referees are considered part-time employees, you get a better sense of the disparity. But do not feel so bad for them, not only are there only 16 games in the schedule, they also get one-week intervals.

And where are the women in all of this? Referees in the Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA) earn about $500 per game for a 32-game season, or a maximum of $16,000 annually.

Very interesting, I should pick up a NHL rulesbook.

Don't forget your skates.

I reckon the whole skating aspect of the NHL ref plays into their compensation. Skating is hard work and not everyone can do it well enough to ref NHL probably.

I still say the NFL should have full time refs that view film and review much the way the players do.