[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

trek decking

Missoula Griz

Considering replacing our existing decking with Trex. I dont plan on ever moving from my current home.

I have researched it somewhat on the net, but was wondering if any of you have had it installed and what your thoughts are?

Thanks.

Edited by Missoula Griz

Considering replacing our existing decking with Trek. I dont plan on ever moving from my current home.

I have researched it somewhat on the net, but was wondering if any of you have had it installed and what your thoughts are?

Thanks.

I did it last spring. I do most of everything around the house, I'm real handy. I did not install the Trex myself because the material cost is high, and if I f*cked something up, it would have been expensive. I absolutely love the deck. It came out awesome. It's very low maintenance as well, just needs a good mopping a few times a year.

The Trex decking is the best thing you can use when replacing/building a deck out there right now. Practically zero maintenance (which is hugh) but it is costly. My brother-in-law has a giant deck of that stuff and it's aweome.

Considering replacing our existing decking with Trek. I dont plan on ever moving from my current home.

Thanks.

trex or trek?

My bad. Trex.

i think there was a class action lawuit for that stuff... cant handle heat, cold very well, slippery as hell and gets hot if in the sun.... we used it at the lake( father in law wanted the stuff, i didnt) it sucks balls and we filed a compliant got some money back and all new decking which is just sitting there because i wont put it on again... probably use at the hunting shack but thats about it .

How much roughly would a 14X12 deck made of this cost?

i think there was a class action lawuit for that stuff... cant handle heat, cold very well, slippery as hell and gets hot if in the sun.... we used it at the lake( father in law wanted the stuff, i didnt) it sucks balls and we filed a compliant got some money back and all new decking which is just sitting there because i wont put it on again... probably use at the hunting shack but thats about it .

Copeman, I might know where you can get some for a case a beer and some new hunting shorts. :D

That was back in 2000. From what I have read most comments are very positive. They have improved the product since then.

it does get much hotter in the sun than wood. It will litearlly get to hot to stand on in the summer heat.

Good info here. We built a balcony using Trex in 2000. It is virtually indestructible and does get hot in the summer. It is easy to clean but over time the Trex has taken on a dingy appearance. Newer versions of Trex may wear better.

There are other options out there one that I've installed before is Weatherbest decking, it's also composite decking and is just as expensive as Trex. I haven't installed Trex before because we didin't like the look as much...the fake grain was less realistic looking than the Weatherbest.

I couldn't tell you how much it would cost because it would depend on a lot of factors. But one nice way to cut the cost down is if your doing railings use pressure treated lumber for the posts and rails and get the black hollow spindles made of aluminum(I think)....very easy to install and will save hundreds over composite railing systems.

Someone on here used the railing system I'm talkin about and posted some pictures....Oh yeah one more thing, if you do go composite decking look into the hidden fastener system, also easy to install and no screws to look at on the top.

I believe Czar had it installed and had a problem with a bizarre fading of it under door mats and flower pots.....correct? The distributor's explanation/solution was that those spots were actually wetter than the surrounding material and that she was to take a dryer/heat gun to the faded spots to bring them back to normal. :D Odd I thought. And sort of a PITA.

I've never installed one to date. I'm mostly FOR anything that is low maintenance, yet still looks good and performs well. Aren't there a couple other manufacturers of this type of decking other than Trex? Have they had similar problems/complaints?

:tup: Chuck beat me to it. Weatherbest.....ChoiceDek....Procell....TimberTech. :D

Edited by SteelBunz

I believe Czar had it installed and had a problem with a bizarre fading of it under door mats and flower pots.....correct? The distributor's explanation/solution was that those spots were actually wetter than the surrounding material and that she was to take a dryer/heat gun to the faded spots to bring them back to normal. :D Odd I thought. And sort of a PITA.

I've never installed one to date. I'm mostly FOR anything that is low maintenance, yet still looks good and performs well. Aren't there a couple other manufacturers of this type of decking other than Trex? Have they had similar problems/complaints?

The sun fades the decking and the spots under the pots and the mat's are the original unfaded color.

The sun fades the decking and the spots under the pots and the mat's are the original unfaded color.

That was our first thought......but no....that wasn't it. On traditional materials.....yes......that would be the reason.

The reps came out and heated those areas up....and I believe the color came back. :D

I only do Cedar Decks (w/ treated 2x10 joists,ledger & beam).........but did a Trex last year and it wasn't to bad to work with........ for a guy that doesn't trust new sh!t........when the load came out the owner noticed that some was faded (left over from another job) so i just ordered new and it matched.......haven't heard any complaints........

That was back in 2000. From what I have read most comments are very positive. They have improved the product since then.

My deck is two-tiered, with the one tier directly fit to the pool. It's wet all the time, not slippery at all. Just know that darker colors will be hot as balls to walk on if they're in the sun.

They told us not to put any mats or things of that nature down for the first few months. After that, no problem. We adhered to that, and have had no staining or discoloration issues at all.

:D

:D Good one and I actually went back and looked to see if I made a mistake, which made it funnier. :tup:

How much roughly would a 14X12 deck made of this cost?

You would be looking at approx $22.00 per 12' board. For a 14' width you would need 28 boards @ $22.00 = $616.00 + tax for the top boards. IThe railings will vary depending on what you want. If you are building the deck from scratch you wil need to buy the joists, posts, etc.