[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another deck question

Sugar Magnolia

How hard is it to sand and stain a deck? How many man hours to do a 1,000 sq. ft.?

We have about 1,000 sq. ft on our upper level which really needs it. Plus, about 750 sq. ft. below. The estimate for a pro was $2,500 just for the upper.

If we do it ourselves, what kind of stain and brand should we use?

rent a rotary power sander for a day(around $80). cuts time by mucho, get some good stain/sealer(I happen to like behr) and spray it on instead of brushing it on(this also saves time and dinero) for better coverage. Let it dry well before using again, enjoy. Now if your present decks have any "cupping" then all this is a moot point and replacement is needed.

rent a rotary power sander for a day(around $80). cuts time by mucho, get some good stain/sealer(I happen to like behr) and spray it on instead of brushing it on(this also saves time and dinero) for better coverage. Let it dry well before using again, enjoy. Now if your present decks have any "cupping" then all this is a moot point and replacement is needed.

And since it's the upper, make sure the lower one is covered so it isn't spotted from drippage while staining.

If it's treated lumber I would not sand it, but pressure wash it, let it dry and then stain it.

As I mentioned in H8's thread, use a deck wash and pressure wash it off (1100 or less psi and be careful), wait till it dries and stain it.

If it's pressure treated and it's so bad it needs to be sanded, I'd probably just replace the decking boards (expensive I know)....If they're twisting or cupping you have to replace them, and the replaced boards will not be exactly the same size and look.

Edited by ChuckB

As I mentioned in H8's thread, use a deck wash and pressure wash it off (1100 or less psi and be careful), wait till it dries and stain it.

If it's pressure treated and it's so bad it needs to be sanded, I'd probably just replace the decking boards (expensive I know)....If they're twisting or cupping you have to replace them, and the replaced boards will not be exactly the same size and look.

Matching the wood should not be a problem, as the decking was most likely trerated 2 x 6 or Radius edged decking boards.

Matching the wood should not be a problem, as the decking was most likely trerated 2 x 6 or Radius edged decking boards.

True, but the old boards have weatherd over the years and are slightly different, not much mind you but I have replaced old boards on a couple of decks and they're never exact.....No biggie though.