[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The SURGE

H8tank

The battalion I’m embedded with here in Baghdad hasn’t suffered a single casualty – not even one soldier wounded – since they arrived in the Red Zone in January. The surge in this part of the city could not possibly be going better than it already is. Most of Graya’at’s insurgents and terrorists who haven’t yet fled are either captured, dormant, or dead.

Spin this demonrats.

634 American soldiers have died in Iraq so far this year. But since Mr. Totten didn't see any of them, this is good news? Look H8, I would like nothing more then to hear good news from Iraq. Honest, good news. It would make me very happy if the tribes stopped fighting and the horde of terrorists that flocked there picked up and left. But you know what? It ain't happening. It's called reality. Take a dose and check back in here on Friday.

Very entertaining read. I will concede that we have been making gains the last few months. I think those gains have less to do with the number of troops but can be atributed more to the strategy of engagement. First off, the army unit they are detailing is the 82nd Airborn. I'm not surprised they have had no casualties in the last 2 months. They are also more closely entrenched in the neighborhoods on a daily basis.

Gasoline is more important to Iraqis than it is to even Americans. Baghdad is as much an automobile-based city as Los Angeles. They also need fuel for electric generators. Baghdad’s electrical grid only supplies one hour of electricity every day. It is ancient, overloaded, in severe disrepair, and is sabotaged by the insurgents. The outside temperature rarely drops below 100 degrees Fahrenheit in the summer, even at night. Air conditioners aren’t luxuries here. They are requirements. No gasoline? No air conditioner.

I think south Florida would be alot liek Iraq if they took away our AC. I think I would be in the market for an AK if they took my electricity. Have we even started building a power plant in Iraq yet? Wasnt one of our primary missions in Iraq to provide infrastructure to the Iraqi people in our care? Where is all thier oil money going? They are still one of the worlds largest oil exporters correct? ...actually wasnt that hard to find Link .