[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Drafting same team players?

I have the 2nd pick in my upcoming draft and I am going to select S. Jackson. At some point I may have the possibility to select T. Holt or Bulger in later rounds. Is this O.K. or sould I always go with a different player if their values are similar? ex. Bulger/McNabb T.Holt/R.Wayne etc.

I used to target really solid QB/WR tandems (i.e. Manning and Harrison), but I suppose it depends on the situation. I personally would have no problem going with Jackson and Bulger (and Holt if you had the opportunity!). Hell, if it doesn't work out, how hard would it be to find a home for any one of those guys??

I wouldn't blame someone for diversifying their portfolio by taking the likes of McNabb or Wayne instead of putting all their eggs in one basket as it were. I think you'd be hard pressed, though, to find anyone who would be unhappy about having any of STLs big three on their roster so why not all three. If you're targeting these guys because they're Rams then stay away but if each legitimately happen to be the best on the board when it's your pick then why not?

You pick the player who you think will score the most for you at a position. Bye week conflicts (which is what players on the same team create) should only be a consideration when you have two or more players that you feel will score very similarly.

You pick the player who you think will score the most for you at a position. Bye week conflicts (which is what players on the same team create) should only be a consideration when you have two or more players that you feel will score very similarly.

Even with bye week conflicts, there are those out there that believe tanking one week is better than weakening your squad for several as you're missing key components here and there. Depends on the rest of your roster but then again you won't know that until after you draft. I always say draft the best available players with the starting lineup in mind and then depth at the most important positions. Worry about bye weeks and players on the same team (especially if they're Top notch) issues minimally.

Edited by irish

If you feel they are the best available at that point in the draft, then you take them. If Holt is there at the end of the second in a 12 team league, I'm probably jumping all over him.

As irish stated, there is a legitimate strategy that many owners employ to stock up on players with the same by week, so that their team is at or near 100% strength for all but one week of the season. It could beat being down one or two regular starters for 3-4 weeks of the season. All depends on how you like to build your team.

Only time I don't see this as a legit option is if you are in a league with fixed roster limits, like say you have to start 2 RBs but can only carry 3 (I hate these leagues, but that is another topic), then you have no choice but to pick RBs with different bye weeks.

Been doing this since 1989, and I learned early, that there is only so many FF points that can come out of a single game. I will do a QB/WR combo, but I'd have to stop it there for my taste and experience. If you load up on a team because of the good FF depth it might have....well, like I said, only so many points can come out of one game. To have RB1, QB1 and WR1 would be a big gamble. When the Panthers shut out the Rams last year some momo in one of my leagues had the above scenario.....I think he scored 33 points total that week.

I have never, and will never "target" combos. I hear people all the time talking about getting the Manning-Harrison hookup or the Bulger-Holt hookup. Unless your league has very unique rules where you get extra points if you fantasy QB throws a TD to your fantasy WR, the hook up is nothing but a myth. There is no additional value to having a player from the same team. The TD and the yards Chad Johnson get score the same regardless if you have Carson Palmer or Rex Grossman as your fantasy QB.

Now, while I stated I will not target combos, that, as per my original response, does not mean I won't take players from the same team, if I feel that player is the best available for that spot.

I never take more than 2 players from one team ! and thats only from teams that put up good points every week like INDY, PATS , ETC..

Edited by soco

Use you projections to take BPA. Do not worry about what team they are on. Same team/bye week conflicts only need to be addressed when selecting your bench players, and even then take one with conflicts if they are far and away the best option. That's what trading and the waiver wire is for.