[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

PS3 or Xbox360?

Venus

Now that ps3 has been out for a while, how does it stack up vs the 360? My ps2 is on its last leg and you can't find much for the original xbox. Knowing what you know now (owners of either or both systems), what are your thoughts? I think the real litmus test will be how Madden08 plays on both this year. I could go either way because I've been saving up, but I don't know people who actually own the systems.

I don't own a PS3 so I can't compare but I love my 360. Great game selection and Gears of War is the best game I have ever played. I go all the way back to pong so I have some history. 360 online is also very accessible and entertaining.

Whichever one you go with make sure you have an HD TV to get the full effect.

the PS3 game lineup coming in the next year dwarfs the 360's list...

plus there's this

http://www.crn.com.au/story.aspx?CIID=8560...p;src=site-marq

I have played both and the PS3 is is by far the better machine and most of the top games coming out for the 360 are already coming out on the PS3 anyways except Halo 3 and a few others...

I don't own a PS3 so I can't compare but I love my 360. Great game selection and Gears of War is the best game I have ever played. I go all the way back to pong so I have some history. 360 online is also very accessible and entertaining.

Whichever one you go with make sure you have an HD TV to get the full effect.

yeah Gears of War is nasty....it looks better than Resistance on PS3...but the online battles can have up to 40 people in one battle...

Gears is better IMO...but Resistance is no slouch and Metal Gear Solid 4 is going to blow both of them away...

plus u get the blu-ray

yeah...the movies are stunning even if you only have a SDTV display...

plus it now upscales standard DVD's and plays Super-Audio CD's (SACD)....Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon sounds outstanding through this....

the PS3 gets updates via internet every month...and the online service "Home" is going to blow X-Box Live away when it comes around October...

Someone put it best this way, and this was before the hardware problems announced in the past weeks: Sony simply creates better HARDWARE because they've been in the consumer electronics business for so long. It makes sense and when put that way I decided that PS3 was what I'm getting eventually and that was before Microsoft did the 'your XBox will prolly break, sorry.'

Now that ps3 has been out for a while, how does it stack up vs the 360? My ps2 is on its last leg and you can't find much for the original xbox. Knowing what you know now (owners of either or both systems), what are your thoughts? I think the real litmus test will be how Madden08 plays on both this year. I could go either way because I've been saving up, but I don't know people who actually own the systems.

360 is cheaper, with a few exclusive games (halo), with a better online experience (mostly because it's been around longer)

ps3 is more robust, with blu-ray, and a more promising lineup exclusive games in the near future

i think the ps3 makes more sense, especially since it will allow you to continue to play all of your ps2 games (in progressive scan without a special cable) without keeping an extra console around clunking things up.

the PS3 gets updates via internet every month...and the online service "Home" is going to blow X-Box Live away when it comes around October...

How do you know this? Currently the PS3 online service really sucks compared to xbox live IMO.

Dont get me wrong I love both systems (and own both) but I would be surprised if PS3 blows away xbox live. Xbox live has been around alot longer and has more experience.

I will buy a PS3 because I know what Im getting with that. I had an original Xbox and really hated it. I had a PS1, PS2 now, and eventually will have a PS3. The future lineup is better IMO... Although from what I hear, the 360 has some pretty kick arse games right now.

i think you'll see from the comments that it really depends what you want from a system. what types of games do you like? do you plan to watch high-def DVDs? do you play online a lot? how many years are you looking to get from your system? i have had both systems since their respective launches, and in the time that both systems have been out, i've played my xbox 360 a lot more than my ps3, mainly due to the ps3's lack of quality games. yes, the ps3 does have some great-looking games coming out -- killzone 2 and metal gear solid 4 look amazing -- but exclusivity to one system is becoming rarer. games cost too much for publishers to limit them to one system anymore (the rumor is that MGS4 will be announced for the xbox 360 soon). i love xbox live, and despite sony's self-hype about "home," it looks to me like sony's version of "the sims" or "second life." however, blu-ray looks great, and sony has said it expects the ps3 to have a lifespan of 10 years (the ps2 is nearly 7 years old and still has tons of games coming out for it). it's true that microsoft has basically admitted that xbox 360s are faulty, and while mine has yet to fail, i feel like it's inevitable.

so, bottom line: if you like to watch HD movies, if you aren't picky about the games you play or your online environment, and if you want a system that's gonna be relevant for a long time, go with the ps3. if you prefer to have a larger library of good games right away, if you already subscribe to xbox live and like it, if you don't mind the prospect of needing to send your unit in for replacement, and if you don't have HDTV or care that much about HD movies, get an xbox 360 (but get the xbox 360 elite, which comes with the HDMI ports).

the PS3 game lineup coming in the next year dwarfs the 360's list...

plus there's this

http://www.crn.com.au/story.aspx?CIID=8560...p;src=site-marq

I have played both and the PS3 is is by far the better machine and most of the top games coming out for the 360 are already coming out on the PS3 anyways except Halo 3 and a few others...

While there's a lot of benefits to the PS3:

blu-ray

built in hard drive on all models

familiarity for most folks

Games is not one of the benefits right now. If

is what you're looking for, more power to you. I don't want to walk around a "virtual world" to find someone to play with. Sony is constantly talking about "next year". I'd rather play games right now. You've been saying that the games are coming out for the PS3 for a long time. Seems like gamers are still waiting... Here's a list of exclusive games for each console. It hardly looks like "most of the top games coming out for the 360 are already coming out on the PS3". Most of the EA sports games will be on Wii, PS3 and the 360. The multiplayer experience isn't even close between the two consoles.

You can also download movies and tv shows in HD on the 360 for a couple bucks each.

As far as the Microsoft warranty, what's wrong with that? They are now giving a three-year warranty. How long is Sony's warranty? I've had my 360 since launch with zero problems.

If you're looking for a blu-ray player that also plays games, PS3 is the way to go. If you want games now and want to play online, the 360 is the way to go.

If you really want to have fun with this, go read the home theater gaming forums at avsforum.com. Very entertaining. You will learn that Sony is apparently a mind-control cult of some kind. If anyone dares post anything in the PS forum that says something like, "Gee, they seem to be losing their exclusive titles," that evildoer will immediately be gangbanged by ribald fanbois who have channeled all of their sexual energy into loving the Sony Corporation. I'm not making this up. By comparison, the 360 fourm seems to have, I dunno, adults or something.

If you want a bluray player, get the PS3, and get it now while they are closing out the current 60gb units at $500 (they will be replaced by an 80 at $600 when the 60s run out). You can also get stuff like an extra controller and 5 free BD movies if you shop around.

360 has more games (currently) and the best online experience, if you want that (you can watch 14-year-old boys play with themselves during a game of Uno -- again, I'm not making this up). But I'd wait until they get the new units shipped with 65nm chipsets, improved heat sink, etc., which should be out by the end of the year. The failure rate on the current models is incredibly high, so much so that MS just took a billion-dollar writeoff to repair existing machines and extended the warranty to three years (it was originally three months). And the smaller chipsets will be cheaper to produce, so you should also see the price go down a little.

imho, both machines were rushed to production trying to get a foothold in being the "media center" machine that you can download HD movies to watch at $7 a pop (and, in Sony's case, to promote Bluray over hd-dvd), but since it takes like three days to download an HD movie, it's pretty much for the early adopter tech geek, hardcore gamer, and spoiled brats whose parents buy them everything to compensate for their lack of parenting skills. You'll get to download updates frequently for both machines trying to fix flaws, which is of course the kind of entertainment everyone wants when buying a $500 video game system. Which is one of the reason the low-tech Wii is outselling PS3 in Japan at about a 6-1 rate. In fact, I think even the PS2 is still outselling all the consoles except for the Wii.

The Misfit speaks the troof. I've been known to poke around the avsforums. Great source of info. All the HD movies I've downloaded have been $6. Some of the Disney ones are cheaper. That's the same price as HD movies on DirecTV. Standard def movies are usually $4. YMMV.

Here's the avsforum for XBOX.

Here's the avsforum for Playstation.

We also have a Wii. It's fun. In fact, for the casual gamer, it's the best deal. You'll get all of the EA Sports games, all the Mario games, and the fun wii-mote. It's not high-def, but for a lot of people that doesn't matter.

If you want a bluray player, get the PS3, and get it now while they are closing out the current 60gb units at $500 (they will be replaced by an 80 at $600 when the 60s run out). You can also get stuff like an extra controller and 5 free BD movies if you shop around.

Where did you hear this? I like to try to stay up to date on all kinds of games, at least somewhat, but have not heard anything about a price INCREASE. That would essentially kill all sony sales IMO. I would be SHOCKED if they jacked the price up for a measly 20gbs.

Where did you hear this? I like to try to stay up to date on all kinds of games, at least somewhat, but have not heard anything about a price INCREASE. That would essentially kill all sony sales IMO. I would be SHOCKED if they jacked the price up for a measly 20gbs.

probably a rumor spread by all those "adults" on the 360 avs forum. :D

It's the same thing they did with the 20gb model. :D

I have Xbox 360 PS3 and Wii

These are why I bought all three

Xbox 360 - All my online games will be here including Madden, Call of Duty (1st person shooters)

PS3 - Mainly for the blu ray player + I like alot of PS titles being Medal Gear Solid, God of War, Grand Turismo, Final Fantasy. So basically I will be getting games that are single player for the PS3 and using it for Blu Ray.

Wii - Althought I havnt had time to take it out of the box yet (currently moving), I bought this because it looks like a ton of fun when you have friends and family over. Plus I like Zelda and Mario Kart. but I purchased this more for a entertainment when I have many guests over and dont have to worry about the age.

You just have to find out what you want it for. I love all gaming systems but if I had to pick one right now I would pick xbox (knowing that PS3 has more potential) because online play is important to me.

it's not exactly a price increase. sony dropped the price of the 60gb PS3 to $500 while introducing the 80gb PS3 at the same $600 that the 60gb was priced at. while hyping the hell out of its decision, it neglected to tell people that the 60gb unit is no longer in production.

here's a link i found, from a reputable gaming blog:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/clustered-*****/k...tion-278414.php

(you have to replace the five asterisks with the word "eff ewe cee kay ess." it's safe for work, they just put that word in the URL)

there are obnoxious fanboys for all three platforms. in my opinion, sony is arrogant, microsoft is pie-in-the-sky and nintendo in just nintendo. but back to the original question: you could always satisfy your gaming needs now by getting the cheaper xbox 360, then wait a year for some good ps3-only games to come out and buy a ps3 for what will almost certainly be cheaper than what it costs right now.

Edited by montster

I have Xbox 360 PS3 and Wii

These are why I bought all three

Xbox 360 - All my online games will be here including Madden, Call of Duty (1st person shooters)

PS3 - Mainly for the blu ray player + I like alot of PS titles being Medal Gear Solid, God of War, Grand Turismo, Final Fantasy. So basically I will be getting games that are single player for the PS3 and using it for Blu Ray.

Wii - Althought I havnt had time to take it out of the box yet (currently moving), I bought this because it looks like a ton of fun when you have friends and family over. Plus I like Zelda and Mario Kart. but I purchased this more for a entertainment when I have many guests over and dont have to worry about the age.

You just have to find out what you want it for. I love all gaming systems but if I had to pick one right now I would pick xbox (knowing that PS3 has more potential) because online play is important to me.

i think this boils down the differences between the 3 right now perfectly. but if you're just buying one, i think you have to try and read the tea leaves and look into the future a bit, and that is where i suspect ps3 pulls ahead a bit compared to 360.

it's not exactly a price increase. sony dropped the price of the 60gb PS3 to $500 while introducing the 80gb PS3 at the same $600 that the 60gb was priced at. while hyping the hell out of its decision, it neglected to tell people that the 60gb unit is no longer in production.

here's a link i found, from a reputable gaming blog:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/clustered-*****/k...tion-278414.php

(you have to replace the five asterisks with the word "eff ewe cee kay ess." it's safe for work, they just put that word in the URL)

there are obnoxious fanboys for all three platforms. in my opinion, sony is arrogant, microsoft is pie-in-the-sky and nintendo in just nintendo. but back to the original question: you could always satisfy your gaming needs now by getting the cheaper xbox 360, then wait a year for some good ps3-only games to come out and buy a ps3 for what will almost certainly be cheaper than what it costs right now.

so when the 60gb models are gone, they'll come out with a 120gb model at $600 and bump the 80gb down to $500. the overall pressure is on the price to come down, not up.

While there's a lot of benefits to the PS3:

blu-ray

built in hard drive on all models

familiarity for most folks

Games is not one of the benefits right now. If

is what you're looking for, more power to you. I don't want to walk around a "virtual world" to find someone to play with. Sony is constantly talking about "next year". I'd rather play games right now. You've been saying that the games are coming out for the PS3 for a long time. Seems like gamers are still waiting... Here's a list of exclusive games for each console. It hardly looks like "most of the top games coming out for the 360 are already coming out on the PS3". Most of the EA sports games will be on Wii, PS3 and the 360. The multiplayer experience isn't even close between the two consoles.

You can also download movies and tv shows in HD on the 360 for a couple bucks each.

As far as the Microsoft warranty, what's wrong with that? They are now giving a three-year warranty. How long is Sony's warranty? I've had my 360 since launch with zero problems.

If you're looking for a blu-ray player that also plays games, PS3 is the way to go. If you want games now and want to play online, the 360 is the way to go.

games?...you must not have not seen the titles coming out for the PS3....plus it's just 8 months old compared to the 20 months the 360 has had...

I'll list...a couple (these are exclusive titles only)....these are games coming out within the next month and up until early next year..

Warhawk

heavenly Sword

Lair

Killzone 2

Metal Gear solid 4

Uncharted: Drakes Fortune

Gran Turismo HD 5

what are some of the exclusive 360 titles coming out

Halo 3 and ............

all the other top 360 titles coming out are already coming out on PS3 (resident evil 5, GTA IV and Devil May Cry 4)

How do you know this? Currently the PS3 online service really sucks compared to xbox live IMO.

Dont get me wrong I love both systems (and own both) but I would be surprised if PS3 blows away xbox live. Xbox live has been around alot longer and has more experience.

just from what I've seen of Home...I don't even know of any 360 groupies that bash Home...other than the fact that it's not out yet...

i think you'll see from the comments that it really depends what you want from a system. what types of games do you like? do you plan to watch high-def DVDs? do you play online a lot? how many years are you looking to get from your system? i have had both systems since their respective launches, and in the time that both systems have been out, i've played my xbox 360 a lot more than my ps3, mainly due to the ps3's lack of quality games. yes, the ps3 does have some great-looking games coming out -- killzone 2 and metal gear solid 4 look amazing -- but exclusivity to one system is becoming rarer. games cost too much for publishers to limit them to one system anymore (the rumor is that MGS4 will be announced for the xbox 360 soon). i love xbox live, and despite sony's self-hype about "home," it looks to me like sony's version of "the sims" or "second life." however, blu-ray looks great, and sony has said it expects the ps3 to have a lifespan of 10 years (the ps2 is nearly 7 years old and still has tons of games coming out for it). it's true that microsoft has basically admitted that xbox 360s are faulty, and while mine has yet to fail, i feel like it's inevitable.

so, bottom line: if you like to watch HD movies, if you aren't picky about the games you play or your online environment, and if you want a system that's gonna be relevant for a long time, go with the ps3. if you prefer to have a larger library of good games right away, if you already subscribe to xbox live and like it, if you don't mind the prospect of needing to send your unit in for replacement, and if you don't have HDTV or care that much about HD movies, get an xbox 360 (but get the xbox 360 elite, which comes with the HDMI ports).

Metal Gear Solid 4 going to 360 is ONLY a rumor......and if it did....you would have to exchange discs while playing because they only use DL DVD which is only 8.5 GB compared to the DL Blu-ray disc that is 50 GB....

I could provide a link if someone wants confirmation....this is the final MGS game and the 360 will not see it..

edit: here's a link

http://www.us.playstation.com/News/PressReleases/405

Edited by Avernus