[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Computer Question

whomper

For some reason my AOL (yes I know AOL sucks and you fart in my general direction) is shot..Every time I try and sign in my entire screen goes black. I know if I reload it I should be ok but the problem is I have some pretty important stuff in my saved to AOL mail file. I have a lot of passwords I need and payout information from a baseball league I run and I cant get to any of it. MY aol works fine on my laptop and that has all of my favorites but it doesnt have saved mail that I save to my file cabinet..Is there any way you can think of that I can retrieve this stuff ?

For some reason my AOL (yes I know AOL sucks and you fart in my general direction) is shot..Every time I try and sign in my entire screen goes black. I know if I reload it I should be ok but the problem is I have some pretty important stuff in my saved to AOL mail file. I have a lot of passwords I need and payout information from a baseball league I run and I cant get to any of it. MY aol works fine on my laptop and that has all of my favorites but it doesnt have saved mail that I save to my file cabinet..Is there any way you can think of that I can retrieve this stuff ?

If you know what day this began happening AND you're running Windows XP, then you can do a system restore to the day before. This may resolve the problem. If this does correct the problem then you MUST immediately do the following:

1. Back up ALL important data to DVD or CD. This includes all the crap you should have removed from AOL a long time ago, all your pr0n and the patterns for the curtains you wife has been saving but not telling you about.

2. Make a list of all the programs that you MUST have on the computer. It would be really nice and smart of you if AOL was NOT on this list.

3. Collect the installation disks/CDs/DVDs for these programs. Also make sure that you have written down any program specific information like mail servers for email programs and the like.

4. Get a list of ALL the peripherals attached to this computer including thier specific model number and manufacturer. This includes modems, hard drives, CD and DVD Drives, sound cards, Ethernet cards, wireless cards, printers, faxes, and anything attached by USB.

5. Go to the manufacturers site and download the latest drivers for each item on the list. Burn these items to a CD or DVD.

6. Get the MS Windows XP installation CD.

7. Take a deep breath.

8. Boot the machine from the XP CD and follow the instructions. When it asks if you'd like to repair the current installation, say no. When it asks what partition you'd like to put XP on, delete all teh current partitions, create 1 new one and then format the puppy.

9. Finish installing XP

10. Allow XP to connect and download at least SP 2 from the MS Web site.

11. Install all the device drivers.

12. Install and configure the other software.

13. Site back and enjoy a well earned adult beverage.

Oh man, that AOL stuff is readable in AOL only, very poor decision to use it to save anything important.

Burn your persona filing cabinets to CD and load them on another machine.

AND GET RID OF AOL and Windows!!!!!!! :D

werd

Oh man, that AOL stuff is readable in AOL only, very poor decision to use it to save anything important.

Burn your persona filing cabinets to CD and load them on another machine.

AND GET RID OF AOL!!!!!!! :D

werd

:D

you should be able to reinstall and move over your file cabinet files to the new install directory.

I reinstalled used the same disk that I originally used to install..My favorites came back but my address list and file cabinet mail was empty

I reinstalled used the same disk that I originally used to install..My favorites came back but my address list and file cabinet mail was empty

you may have to manually copy the files like in windows explorer. i haven't used aol for many, many versions, so i don't remember what the files are called or where they are stored, and it's probably not the same as it was back in the day anyway.

another possibility...you said it locks up when you sign on and connect. can't you access your PFC and address book BEFORE signing on? i know that used to be the case. if nothing else, you could do that, find all your vital chit and save it into some other format, etc.

you may have to manually copy the files like in windows explorer. i haven't used aol for many, many versions, so i don't remember what the files are called or where they are stored, and it's probably not the same as it was back in the day anyway.

another possibility...you said it locks up when you sign on and connect. can't you access your PFC and address book BEFORE signing on? i know that used to be the case. if nothing else, you could do that, find all your vital chit and save it into some other format, etc.

It goes black as soon as I click the icon ..If I right click the icon will it give me an option to do what you said ? Im at work now so I cant try it..I went on aol.com as Big John suggested but it only allowed me to check mail and did have my address book but no file cabinet things

It goes black as soon as I click the icon ..If I right click the icon will it give me an option to do what you said ? Im at work now so I cant try it..I went on aol.com as Big John suggested but it only allowed me to check mail and did have my address book but no file cabinet things

if it's as soon as you click the icon, you're out of luck, unless you figure out where pfc files are on your hard drive and then copy them over. you can't access the files online because they're not stored online, they're on the local hard drive.

which version of aol are you using?

you could try the google desktop gadget. I have found that it finds many things I thought unfindable.

Of course since I switched to Linux I no longer have issues like these.

Very strange stuff going on with my computer. All of a sudden my norton anti virus trial run ran out and it said it needed to be activated..When I went to activate it prompted me to put in a product key..I have no box and no key..Then my aol troubles started..I can get on the net using IE no problem..Its just the aol..I guess I will install again from a new disk tomorrow..

Very strange stuff going on with my computer. All of a sudden my norton anti virus trial run ran out and it said it needed to be activated..When I went to activate it prompted me to put in a product key..I have no box and no key..Then my aol troubles started..I can get on the net using IE no problem..Its just the aol..I guess I will install again from a new disk tomorrow..

If your Norton anti-virus trial ran out I would highly suggest uninstalling it and downloading one of the free ones out there. AVG (linky) is a pretty good one. H8 might be better able to direct you to a better free anti-virus software package, but I use AVG at home and have had no problems. Norton always sucked down roughly 15-20% of my comp's resources. Once I installed AVG it ran like a champ.

Now all we need to do is get you to uninstall AOL and all will be right as rain! :D

if there's a version out newer than your current one, when you install the newest version it should prompt you to point it to your old installation directory (the one you're having problems with) and it should move over and convert all the PFC files and the like. then you need to get chit out of aol.