[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Single best album rock ever produced

Kid Cid

I'm not going to taint these results by providing a list to choose from. There are an awful lot of just start to finish, oh my god, blow your mind albums. So in your opinion, what is the single best ever recorded? Include your reasoning if you're so inclined and we're not limiting it in any, way shape or form. I'm going to provide two that I think are the epitome of what they're trying to achieve and as the arguments begin, I'll weigh in with what I think are honorable mentions. You are not limited by these categroies though.

Are you Experienced? - The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Start to finish this is just one fracking fantastic album. There are no bummer cuts, the production quality is excellent and it stands tall in that regard even today. That and the sound was truly revolutionary.

12/31/95 - Phish

There is a distinct difference between being able to reherse the music, come into a studio like a professional and play the stuff you have to, then getting the hell out of the way while the producer makes all the final little tweaks and being able to stand up on stage and play something start to finish while keeping the energy level up. Phish takes this to another level with this particuar live recording. Playing live as a band is tough enough, playing pieces with this level of technical precision yet maintaining the electricity and excitement of jams is something else.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to taint these results by providing a list to choose from. There are an awful lot of just start to finish, oh my god, blow your mind albums. So in your opinion, what is the single best ever recorded? Include your reasoning if you're so inclined and we're not limiting it in any, way shape or form. I'm going to provide two that I think are the epitome of what they're trying to achieve and as the arguments begin, I'll weigh in with what I think are honorable mentions. You are not limited by these categroies though.

Are you Experienced? - The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Start to finish this is just one fracking fantastic album. There are no bummer cuts, the production quality is excellent and it stands tall in that regard even today. That and the sound was truly revolutionary.

12/31/95 - Phish

There is a distinct difference between being able to reherse the music, come into a studio like a professional and play the stuff you have to, then getting the hell out of the way while the producer makes all the final little tweaks and being able to stand up on stage and play something start to finish while keeping the energy level up. Phish takes this to another level with this particuar live recording. Playing live as a band is tough enough, playing pieces with this level of technical precision yet maintaining the electricity and excitement of jams is something else.

nothing to argue about there with either of them

i also really like litte feat "Waiting for Columbus" another live one

AC DC Back In Black....Kick ass Rock n Roll tunes from start to finish..No bad songs IMO

Certainly on my honorable mention list. This is always one of the CD's I take with me to audition audio gear.

If we're going on the criterion of "no bad songs start to finish", that is albums that I NEVER hit the fast forward button on, I'd like to vote for:

(And many are not rock. . .sorry)

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magic

Beck - Odelay

Bob Dylan - Bringing it All Back Home

Tom Waits - Bone Machine

Indigo Girls - Indigo Girls

Nirvana - Bleach

Joni Mitchell - Hejira

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

Alanis Morrisette - Jagged Little Pill

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

There are so many artists I want to list, but I can't come up with an album with no flaws. Albums with single flaws (and the flaw in parenthesis), IMO:

The Beatles - Abbey Road (I Want You/She's So Heavy)

Jimi Hendrix - Axis - Bold As Love (The stupid talk show intro piece)

Stevie Wonder - Innervisions (Jesus Children of America)

are you experienced? is a pretty good call.

some others off the top of my head...

blonde on blonde - dylan

murmur - REM

live at folsom and san quentin - johnny cash

talking book - stevie wonder

surfer rosa - pixies

sticky fingers - stones

nevermind - nirvana

transformer - lou reed

live at the regal - bb king

ritual de lo habitual - jane's addiction

really as i think about it, live album should be a different category entirely.

I'm going with Sheik's criteria:

If we're going on the criterion of "no bad songs start to finish", that is albums that I NEVER hit the fast forward button on, I'd like to vote for:

Pearl Jam - Ten, Vs., Yield

Beatles - Revolver, Sgt Pepper, Abbey Road

Liz Phair - Exile in Guyville

Beastie Boys - Check Your Head

Guns N Roses - Appetite

Oasis - What's the Story Morning Glory?

U2 - The Joshua Tree

Out of those, I probably listen to Liz Phair or Pearl Jam most often. Tough to pick just one album.

Rock is questionable.

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. :D

That was the first album (cassette) I ever had, along with the portable tape player/recorder I got for Xmas when I was 10, back in 1976. Yikes, I'm old.

'You can't keep me in your penthouse, I'm goin back to my plow......'

That was the first album (cassette) I ever had, along with the portable tape player/recorder I got for Xmas when I was 10, back in 1976. Yikes, I'm old.

'You can't keep me in your penthouse, I'm goin back to my plow......'

I remember getting my first walkman, along with the first (album) cassette I ever owned....

Huey Lewis and the News - Sports

:iwannanewdrug:

:D

Paul Simon's Graceland deserves mention.

Side 2 of Tattoo You is great, but side 1 is meh.

Not sure what the objection is to I Want You/She's So Heavy, Abbey Road is a great album from start to finish in my book.

Guess you can't really have the discussion without at least mentioning Dark Side of the Moon - personally I like Wish You Were Here better though.

I could listen to The Last Waltz all day.

Not sure what the objection is to I Want You/She's So Heavy, Abbey Road is a great album from start to finish in my book.

Yeah, everyone says that to me. . . I Want You and Revolution #9 on the White Album are the only 2 Beatles songs I just plain don't like. I don't know what my deal is. . .

Zappa ..............Joe's Garage

Track Listings

1. Central Scrutinizer

2. Joe's Garage

3. Catholic Girls

4. Crew Slut

5. Wet T-Shirt Night

6. Toad O Line

7. Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?

8. Lucille Has Messed My Mind Up

:D .......played Frank...........Back n Black......and the Doors none stop