[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Man vs Wild vs Survivorman

cliaz

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...c3edbd23e2717ac

Take that!

Discovery's 'Wild' storm: Authenticity questioned

Discovery's 'Wild' storm: Authenticity questioned

By Andrew Wallenstein

July 24, 2007

Discovery Channel is re-evaluating one of its most popular series, "Man vs. Wild," after allegations surfaced that its survival-expert host was bunking in motels when he was supposed to be braving the great outdoors.

The network issued a statement Monday in response to an investigation launched by British television network Channel 4, which carries the program under the title "Born Survivor: Bear Grylls." Channel 4 confirmed that host Bear Grylls had partaken of indoor accommodations on at least two occasions when his series had depicted him spending the night in the wild.

"Discovery Communications has learned that isolated elements of the 'Man vs. Wild' show in some episodes were not natural to the environment, and that for health and safety concerns the crew and host received some survival assistance while in the field," the network said in a statement.

The production company behind the series, Diverse Television, is cooperating with the Channel 4 investigation, which likely will address a range of allegations that called into question "Wild's" authenticity.

In each episode of the series, Grylls is airlifted into the wilderness with only a few tools to aid in his survival, such as a flint or water bottle. A former British special forces soldier, Grylls is typically depicted as subsisting for several days without intervention or interruption while cameramen follow him offscreen. He has been stranded all over the globe, including Utah's Moab desert and the Costa Rican rain forest.

But among the charges made against Grylls is that a raft he is depicted as having built himself actually was constructed and then disassembled by consultants to the show in order for the host to put it together. In another episode, Grylls happens upon what are referred to as wild horses that were said to be brought in from a trekking station.

The brouhaha could become a PR nightmare for the channel, which in recent years has abandoned contrived unscripted formats in favor of the scientific explorations that first made the Discovery brand famous. "Wild" in particular has emerged as one of its main attractions during the past two seasons.

But the company gave no indication about parting ways with the series, only making certain unspecified alterations.

"Moving forward, the program will be 100% transparent and all elements of the filming will be explained upfront to our viewers," Discovery said. "In addition, shows that are to be repeated will be edited appropriately. Bear Grylls is a world-class adventurer and a terrific talent."

A spokeswoman for Discovery declined to elaborate on what exact measures will be taken to address the concerns raised about "Wild."

Among the likely possibilities: a disclaimer that will precede each episode explaining that some of the events being depicted are dramatized.

On July 13, Grylls spoke at the Television Critics Assn. summer press tour about production of the series but gave little hint of any shenanigans behind the scenes. At one point, he described what it was like to bed down in the wild.

"Often at nighttime, they will get helicoptered out, and they might have to recharge camera batteries and hand in footage, and then they leave me a little minicamera for the night stuff, and they come and rejoin me in the morning," he said.

New Survivor Man starts in August!!!!!!!!!!!

Heck, I'll watch either of them. Les Stroud definitely gives the impression that he is truly doing it alone in a survival mode. You already know that Bear Grylls id talking to a guy holding a camera and who knows how many other people are behind that guy. Man vs. Wild is more of a "how-to" for survival whereas Survivorman is "here is a guy surviving".

I always wondered if the camera people stayed with him. It makes sense that they go sleep somewhere comfy.

Regardless, I do enjoy the show and if someone learns something from it and survives an event like his it is good.

I always wondered if the camera people stayed with him. It makes sense that they go sleep somewhere comfy.

Regardless, I do enjoy the show and if someone learns something from it and survives an event like his it is good.

I enjoy both shows as well but it's pretty obvious that Man vs Wild contains staged & stupid actions that would get most people killed. Reports have come out that he wore a life vest under his clothes in one episode, was helicoptered out one night during a show, got drunk and couldn't continue filming the episode until a couple days later etc. This show has a lot more entertainment value that dictate some of the Bear's actions.

Les Stroud has knowledge (or has good advisors) but I get annoyed with his whining and sitting still during a lot of episodes.

Put the cameras away and which would you rather be stuck with in a survival situation?

Bear was British SAS until he broke his back. After rehab, he climbed Everest (breaking another bone on the way up and still finishing) and Ama Dablam. He enjoys his whiskey so maybe he'd have some along.

Stroud was a ....music and tv producer.

I enjoy both shows as well but it's pretty obvious that Man vs Wild contains staged & stupid actions that would get most people killed. Reports have come out that he wore a life vest under his clothes in one episode, was helicoptered out one night during a show, got drunk and couldn't continue filming the episode until a couple days later etc. This show has a lot more entertainment value that dictate some of the Bear's actions.

Les Stroud has knowledge (or has good advisors) but I get annoyed with his whining and sitting still during a lot of episodes.

Put the cameras away and which would you rather be stuck with in a survival situation?

Bear was British SAS until he broke his back. After rehab, he climbed Everest (breaking another bone on the way up and still finishing) and Ama Dablam. He enjoys his whiskey so maybe he'd have some along.

Stroud was a ....music and tv producer.

I totally agree. I prefer M.v.W over Survivorman. I dont think this tarnishes Bear's image whatsoever. The knowledge you get from M.v.W is awesome and I like Bear's personality better than that Survivorman.

I totally agree. I prefer M.v.W over Survivorman. I dont think this tarnishes Bear's image whatsoever. The knowledge you get from M.v.W is awesome and I like Bear's personality better than that Survivorman.

+1...that Dude is awesome...screw the boring guy on the other show...

=anyone that eats spiders and drinks his own piss can stay in a motel every once in awhile.

Reminds me of my college days.....good times.

Anyways all of you who say MvW is better than Survivorman are lame. In fact, stop posting right now. You have all been banished from the huddle.

MvW is a stupid fool. "Here let me run across this red lava field so you can see how to melt your feet in a survivor situation." Yeah real smart, how about just not walking on red hot lava???

Les maybe just a music producer but he and his wife have a movie out there [forget what it is called] where they just walk out into the woods and live off the land in northern canada for a year.

He knows more about real survival situations then MvW.

Lets see, build a funnel trap to catch fish using sticks [real]

Or

Jump off a 500 ft cliff using a booger as a hang glider to swoop in like an eagle and scoop fish out of the water with your bare teeth.

:D

MvW is bubble gum survival show

Anyways all of you who say MvW is better than Survivorman are lame. In fact, stop posting right now. You have all been banished from the huddle.

This movie is [iMHO] one of the strongest movies to come out in the last 10 years. Hands down.

:D

I love Man vs. Wild. Bear Grylls is awesome!

I've never seen Survivorman. As a matter of fact I've just started seeing some commercials for it and thought what a hokey rip off of Man vs. Wild.

Other way around. Survivorman has been out since 2004

Like Man Vs Wild also...........but have always thought that Bear seemed alittle to comfortable when it came to sleepin at night.......like when he hit that rabbit with the club......... frisbee style............ and cooked it in Bear country and commented about Bears smellin it up to 25 miles......."Wow this tastes great........ goodnight".........basically not a big deal...............right then i thought they better get the hell outta there........ :D

I've never seen Survivorman. As a matter of fact I've just started seeing some commercials for it and thought what a hokey rip off of Man vs. Wild.

I watched all of them last year. I was into it. But, lately he is getting on my nerves. Its always the same, "Last year 3 people died in these woods after they got lost because of bad weather".

Shut the fck up Bear and just show me how to find food, build fires, and other usefull shiiit.

i tink SM stated before the boring MW

if any of u have been out in the bush u will know that this is a lot of sitting buy the fire and u cant get a candy bar from the camera man :D

i tink SM stated before the boring MW

if any of u have been out in the bush u will know that this is a lot of sitting buy the fire and u cant get a candy bar from the camera man :D

Does Survivor Man eat animal eyeballs and rotting zebra flesh?