[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Man vs Wild vs Survivorman

cliaz

I also like both and agree with DMD as to MvsW is more of a "how to". One thing I know for sure is that if both were in the wild together trying to survive, Bear would kill Les and eat him for breakfast, lunch and dindin and then use his remaining bones for tools etc.

One of the amusing differences is that Les Stroud always says "I don't condone killing animals but if you are trying to survive, you have to do what you must". And then offcamera he kills the animal which is next seen roasting on a spit. Bear, on the other hand, will just catch a fish and while it is still flopping around take a bite out of it. "It's okay, your first bite breaks his backbone". Or he takes Mr. Bunny Rabbit and bashes it in the head. Bear tends to eat a lot of animals uncooked. Les likes his pine needle tea and berries.

One of the amusing differences is that Les Stroud always says "I don't condone killing animals but if you are trying to survive, you have to do what you must". And then offcamera he kills the animal which is next seen roasting on a spit. Bear, on the other hand, will just catch a fish and while it is still flopping around take a bite out of it. "It's okay, your first bite breaks his backbone". Or he takes Mr. Bunny Rabbit and bashes it in the head. Bear tends to eat a lot of animals uncooked. Les likes his pine needle tea and berries.

:D

How can you go against Les? I seem to remember a thread a while ago where you concured that Les' show is better. Big John! To the Tomb of Knowledge! Pull up the link.

:D

How can you go against Les? I seem to remember a thread a while ago where you concured that Les' show is better. Big John! To the Tomb of Knowledge! Pull up the link.

Hey, I like them both and have no problem with either. Stroud seems to be more practical to me and be honest - can you ever look at a multi-tool now and not think of Survivorman? He's like a walking advertisement for Leatherman or Swiss Army. Bear is a bit better shape than the average person. When he scaled a sheer cliff out of that water I could only think "well, I'd be dead"

Bear is a bit better shape than the average person. When he scaled a sheer cliff out of that water I could only think "well, I'd be dead"

True dat! Remember when he was in the alps and was trying out the knots in the rope that he trailed just in case he fell into a fissure? OMG, there is no way I could have pulled myself outa that hole. Bear drinks his share of needle tea as well, "It contains 5 times the vitamin c as an orange!". Never knew that, btw. I always suspected Bear's little noose traps that he catches rabbits and quail with. It just seems way too easy.

The thing about survivorman is hes always complaining about having to set up his cameras and the like. Seems like he goes outa his way to point out how hard he has it. And hes canadian... :D

I like both shows as well. I agree with DMD that Bear's is more of a "how to". I really doubt if that was really piss that he drank though. But it did teach me something that i didn't know. Piss is nutricious. :D

Les is totally alone and has 7 days to find his way out of somewhere. If he doesn't make it, then they come looking.

Bear is a total freak though. He jumps in the freezing cold water in Iceland just to show us "how to" survive

Personally, I'd love to see them do a show together with only Les' camera. I'll tell you one thing. Les won't be repelling or climbing any sheer cliffs and neither would I. Bear is more physically trained and able to do these things which most of us couldn't.

• 2 weeks later...
My teenage daughters and thier friends watch Bear Grylls religiously because every episode around :45, he finds some situation where he needs to strip and cavort half-naked.

I can only assume those fans here watch for the same reason. NTTAWWT.

HMMMM i dot see a pattern :D

My teenage daughters and thier friends watch Bear Grylls religiously because every episode around :45, he finds some situation where he needs to strip and cavort half-naked.

I can only assume those fans here watch for the same reason. NTTAWWT.

Lol, he does have that cute accent. :D

I enjoy both for sure, but definitely see more value in SurvivorMan. MvW is fake. Yes, Bear actually climbs waterfalls or whatever, but the "surviving" that he does comes with much assistance. Example: there was an episode where he built a raft from some trees to float a river. He starts cutting the trees w/ his knife and a rock, then the camera cuts out. Fast forward to when the raft is built - half the trees have perfectly straight cuts at the ends - a la some sort of a handsaw. I don't buy it, but I still watch the show.

If it was me and one of those two stranded in the wild, I'll take SurvivorMan...

Cheers.

I enjoy both for sure, but definitely see more value in SurvivorMan. MvW is fake. Yes, Bear actually climbs waterfalls or whatever, but the "surviving" that he does comes with much assistance. Example: there was an episode where he built a raft from some trees to float a river. He starts cutting the trees w/ his knife and a rock, then the camera cuts out. Fast forward to when the raft is built - half the trees have perfectly straight cuts at the ends - a la some sort of a handsaw. I don't buy it, but I still watch the show.

If it was me and one of those two stranded in the wild, I'll take SurvivorMan...Cheers.

.... and you would die along with lez

Of those two I like Survivor Man best. But Going Tribal is my favorite show. Not necessarily survival but what that guy goes through is much more live threating than the other two shows. Some of the things he imbibes in and has stuck in him is unbelievable.

Of those two I like Survivor Man best. But Going Tribal is my favorite show. Not necessarily survival but what that guy goes through is much more live threating than the other two shows. Some of the things he imbibes in and has stuck in him is unbelievable.

Someone should pitch one where a sex tourist goes to the backwaters of Asia in search of conquests. Now that's entertainment.

Bonus footage if something falls off.

.... and you would die along with lez

That depends. If I could have Bear along with his camera crew, hotels, PFDs, hand saws, multiple takes, and so on...then yes, Bear would be the obvious choice. Otherwise, I'll take the guy that's proven he can do it ON HIS OWN.

Cheers