[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fixing a Garage Door

The Irish Doggy

So the automatic garage door didn't open the other day. :D

On one side of the door, it seems the spring and wires have popped out/off the track. :D

Anyone have experience fixing this sort of thing?

Can I fix it with a hammer, screwdriver, wrench and duct tape, or is it better to call someone in?

Check the ends of the spring? Is the spring broken? I've had the spring break on the end before, actually have had to replace both side at different times over the years. If that's the case, you have to replace the spring. Seeing as I was able to figure it out and fix it....anyone can. :D

If you do have to replace the spring be careful, they can kill you. I had a neighbor who tried to change one and when the tension came full till it came back at him and sliced the crap out of his arm results in hundreds of stitches. Seriously, if you dont know what you're doing, call in a pro.

If you do have to replace the spring be careful, they can kill you. I had a neighbor who tried to change one and when the tension came full till it came back at him and sliced the crap out of his arm results in hundreds of stitches. Seriously, if you dont know what you're doing, call in a pro.

+bazillion

beat me to it. don't clam chowder with this. the door weighs a ton and if you don't get it right, either your car or a human could be seriously damaged. call in a pro.

:D

Calling a pro now.....

Absolutely right for the torsion type. If they are the ones that are on the top sides of the rails (not very common any more) those can be replaced fairly easily.

I had just called our home warranty company to have someone come by to fix our operator that was not keeping the codes from our remote and our keypad, as it looked like we needed a new module board. Get a call from my wife this morning and it looks like one of my springs had also wore out and was broken so had to replace it too, but unfortunately was NOT covered by my warranty so the operator and service call was $70 and the two new springs were $230. :D Oh well, at least it is fixed and we can now drive into the garage again without turning off the key and opening the front door and opening the garage door from the wall in the garage.... :D What a pain in the butt!!

Hope the garage door guy is able to fix you up and it won't cost too much!! Definitely a good idea to get a professional, ID... can good advice from the others on this thread... :wacko:

Edited by PSULions

My garage door opener is acting up too. The door closes fine when activated, but it won't open. The motor works fine, but it just seems to get jammed when it tries to open up and it makes a loud grinding sound. Is this an easy fix or do I need to call a pro?

Where is the grinding sound coming from, the drive? Almost sounds as if its not engaging the drive to pull the door up. You could always just take the opener down, its pretty simple, take the shaft apart from the motor and inspect it. The older it is the more difficult to fix most likely and more costly I'd imagine. That's where I'd start.

My garage door opener is acting up too. The door closes fine when activated, but it won't open. The motor works fine, but it just seems to get jammed when it tries to open up and it makes a loud grinding sound. Is this an easy fix or do I need to call a pro?

I just had a similar problem with mine (a Lift Master) and it turned out to be a pretty easy fix. The "rack" was worn down and couldn't hold the trolley. Basically the teeth of the rack had ground down and wouldn't engage the screw that pulls up the door due to the door's weight. a $10 part and simple instructions from the manufacturer and I was back in business.

If they are the ones that are on the top sides of the rails (not very common any more) those can be replaced fairly easily.

Yeah, mine were the side springs. The guy came and replaced them. Yes, I coulda totally done that in a heartbeat. Nothing too it really so long as you have the right spring. But since I'd never seen it done before, I was Ok with it. He ended up replacing both doors' springs. As I inspected the other door, apparently the previous owner had rigged a fix to a broken spring. Anyway, 200 bucks later, I know a lot more about my garage doors and they work like a charm.