[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

In a bit of a trade pickle...

jimmyfowler

Hey guys,

I inherited a team from a friend (his work picked up and he reckons he won't have time to play fantasy) and he drafted fine, but a little bad in some places. His team is this:

QB - M. Hasselbeck

RB - W. Parker

RB - E. James

WR - C. Johnson

WR - D .Jackson

FLEX - B. Marshall

K - J. Elam

D - Cincinatti

and his bench is this:

J.P. Losman

Jerry Porter

Joe Jurevicius

Chris Brown

It's a pretty good team, but I'm worried at the lack of depth at RB - I would NOT be happy starting Chris Brown when one of my starters is on a bye. I feel I should try and trade for another RB, But I don't know what I can get... My options as far I can see are thus:

SCENARIO ONE:

One team has put Marion Barber III on the trading block - he hasn't got a top-tier back and wants one. He also has Brandon Jackson on his bench. I could trade Parker for Barber and Jackson?

SCENARIO TWO:

Another team has Brandon Jacobs on his bench, and from the looks of things, desperately needs WRs. I could offer him Darrell Jackson and perhaps Joe Jurevicius for Brandon Jacobs? However, that'd leave me without another clear starting WR...

SCENARIO THREE:

Another team has four RBs - Gore, Jones, Lewis, and Lynch. By the looks of things, he could do with a WR and a DEF, and is also thinking of trading Eli Manning who is on his bench. Jason Campbell is currently on our waivers. I could offer him J.P. Losman and one of my WRs for one of his RBs, and then pick up Campbell and another WR from waivers?

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys.

First, don't trade one very good player for two merely decent ones. It rarely will work in your favor. Since neither Parker nor Edge have their bye until week 6, I'd hold off on making any deals for a RB. It could be that Brown grabs hold of the starting RB job in Tennessee by then. Or, maybe one of your spare WRs will have a great start, and will be able to bring back more in trade in a few weeks than they would bring back today?

First, don't trade one very good player for two merely decent ones. It rarely will work in your favor. Since neither Parker nor Edge have their bye until week 6, I'd hold off on making any deals for a RB. It could be that Brown grabs hold of the starting RB job in Tennessee by then. Or, maybe one of your spare WRs will have a great start, and will be able to bring back more in trade in a few weeks than they would bring back today?

That's how I would play it. Never be the guy who gives up the stud for two OK players. That is an act of desperation. Like, for instance, if Edge gets hurt and there's nobody good on waivers and Brown and White are still splitting carries in a stagnant Tenn O. Then you freak out and move FWP for two guys you can start.

Right now, you are simply fragile, not desperate. So this is no time to panic. I also wouldn't float around insulting offers like a mid tier WR and some waiver bait for what appears to be a pretty decent RB. That will come back to bite you later because everyone will always assume you're trying to get over on them.

Hang tight and watch box scores carefully on any team that has an aging RB and an up and coming youngster. If you see a trend developing in the number of carries they're getting, you might be able to scoop this year's D Davis or something like that. The year Antowain Smith emerged, that's exactly what I did. Every week, T Thomas was getting a few less carries and Smith was getting a few more. I picked him up and, next thing you know, he was on his way to a great season.