[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Am I crazy?

kc kid

Portis is a guy that I was simply not interested in having if it meant taking him reasonably high, so I think you paid dearly. Manning at 8 is not, in itself crazy, but either taking Portis as a high 2nd rounder or not taking a RB with either of your 1st 2 picks is very suspect.

I am amazed you were able to swing back around and get those 2 backs after taking Manning with the 7th pick. it did not hurt you as bad as I would of guessed but I still would of passed on manning until late in the 2nd or early in the 3rd(another words just pass on him as he never makes it that far in any draft).

Without knowing what was left in rounds 2 or 3, assuming you got Portis in round 2 and Jones in 3, I think the drop off you lost at your #1RB and probably at a #1WR is far greater than that of what you would have lost to Peyton Manning.

Edited by m4m25

I would like to see the picks at the end of that round and the turn around picks coming back up. Just to see what your options were. You probably should have gone Addai and if you really wanted a QB there Palmer or Brees would be available for not too bad of a dropoff, if any.

I was hoping to get a little something better in round 2. Marcus Colston and Hines Ward are my rounds 4 and 5

Well who was there at your 2nd pick. Again, I have bigger issues with Portis at 16 than Manning at 8. Was Manning the only non-RB taken? There must have been better options than Portis there.

I don't like it. I don't trust Portis or Jones to stay on the field or produce big numbers. Are they capable? Sure, but I wouldn't be comfortable. Colsten and Ward are both good receivers and I would be perfectly happy having them as my #2 and #3 WRs. It could work out just fine for you but I don't like your chances.

I don't like it. I don't trust Portis or Jones to stay on the field or produce big numbers. Are they capable? Sure, but I wouldn't be comfortable. Colsten and Ward are both good receivers and I would be perfectly happy having them as my #2 and #3 WRs. It could work out just fine for you but I don't like your chances.

Once you take Manning that high you immediately fall behind at the RB and WR spots. IMO he was lucky to get Portis and Jones after that. to do so he had to go way deep in the WR barrell.

Once you take Manning that high you immediately fall behind at the RB and WR spots. IMO he was lucky to get Portis and Jones after that. to do so he had to go way deep in the WR barrell.

Well, whichever one he got in the 3rd was nice (though more so with Jones than Portis). But whichever one he took in the 2nd was a reach.

Assuming he was in a 12 team league, so it was the 16th pick.

Even if Manning was the only non-RB taken I don't think Portis or Jones is the 15th best RB. MJD, Willis Mc, Edge, R Brown, Maroney, Benson, Bush... one of those guys would have been there and I have (as does DMD) have all of them ranked ahead of Portis.

Well, whichever one he got in the 3rd was nice (though more so with Jones than Portis). But whichever one he took in the 2nd was a reach.

Assuming he was in a 12 team league, so it was the 16th pick.

Even if Manning was the only non-RB taken I don't think Portis or Jones is the 15th best RB. MJD, Willis Mc, Edge, R Brown, Maroney, Benson, Bush... one of those guys would have been there and I have (as does DMD) have all of them ranked ahead of Portis.

I would of went another direction than he did too with the 2nd rounder.I don't have all those guys ranked ahead of Portis though..but most of them. but I can understand someone taking Portis that high.any ole ways you sliced it he was gonna have 1 of them and Thomas Jones and then have to reach for WR's even worse than RB's. taking Manning in the 1st round really hurts a team IMO.

I definitely would have taken Addai instead of Manning at #8. I hope you were able to grab Betts to handcuff Portis.

Agreed! This has been coined the "Manning Defense" and it lies in faulty logic.

This :D is the best Huddle article I have ever read! It should clear things up! If you do it right, you could actually end up with a better team and has curbed my enthusiasm about getting the high picks in a league of experienced FF players.

The first 7 picks were RB so I took Peyton Manning even though Addai was still there. I ended up with Clinton Portis and Thomas Jones in a standard performance league

I don't think Manning will make up for your deficiencies at RB. Thomas Jones and Portis will both be lucky to play in 10 games this year.

After looking at the draft again I can tell you my strategy...

I wanted Peyton or Carson Palmer. When I picked at #8 Westbrook, Addai, Willie Parker, and Willis McGahee were available and I hoped one would slip to me and I knew a Manning or Palmer would not last.

I needed a rb and my choices were Reggie Bush, Cedric Benson, Travis Henry or Portis.

Bush - probably should have but he is going to share with Deuce

Benson - did not want because Grossman sucks and this will hurt him

Henry - will never have a Denver running back and he is hurt again

That leaves Portis who is supposed to be the main man and I hope he is.

After looking at the draft again I can tell you my strategy...

I wanted Peyton or Carson Palmer. When I picked at #8 Westbrook, Addai, Willie Parker, and Willis McGahee were available and I hoped one would slip to me and I knew a Manning or Palmer would not last.

I needed a rb and my choices were Reggie Bush, Cedric Benson, Travis Henry or Portis.

I wouldnt have done it....but then again, I DID do it two years ago, so I am one to talk :D

After Manning was coming off his record season...I was like you, sitting eighth, not impressed with the RB's available and decided to do it...and after about three weeks, I saw first hand why everyone says not to take a QB first...you handicap the rest of your team...

Lucky for me, I also drafted Carson Palmer in like the 9th round that year (it was before his breakout year so no one really knew what to expect), so I was able to trade Peyton Manning for another first round back that year (its escaping me who it was, but he did all right). :Last year, our commissioner decided to draft Peyton first (I think he was like 7th) because he was going to be facing a sot passing schedule, and he didnt make the playoffs.

Good luck with it man...I dont know who your second QB is, but keep in mind, Peyton does have HIGH trade value in most leagues, so if your second QB is dependable, you may be able to trade Peyton if need be...especially true if Peyton gets off to a good start...

Edited by #1 Niners Fan

You talk about Henry being hurt again and maybe RBBC? Helloy Portis is always hurt and Bets is just as good anyway.

Portis is the worst player you list here by far... it would be if you ask who's the worst player to take in the 2nd round, Portis is horrible (IMO). But good luck with your RBs

Edited by rai

You talk about Henry being hurt again and maybe RBBC? Helloy Portis is always hurt and Bets is just as good anyway.

Portis is the worst player you list here by far... it would be if you ask who's the worst player to take in the 2nd round, Portis is horrible (IMO). But good luck with your RBs

I agree here. Portis has been pretty banged up and if I'm not mistaken Henry is a pretty tough character who will play through just about anything. Manning is great but I think the difference between Addai and Portis vs. Manning and the next available QB is a bigger gap. IMO.