[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DEFENCE DEFENCE RAVENS OR BEARS

tachamp

It partly depends upon your scoring system for defense. How many points for a defensive TD? How many for sacks, INTs, fumble recoveries, etc?

Do you get anything for points allowed, yardage allowed, etc? Since both teams went 13-3 last season, they probably have similar strengths of schedule this year.

:D

Fantasy-wise defenses very rarely repeat from year to year; i.e. last year's top fantasy defenses are very rarely this year's top fantasy defenses.

So I always let somebody else spend their 5th round picks on the top defenses of last year (Chicago and Baltimore) and mine for defenses later.

The Ravens are the exception to the rule. You can take them earlier than others every year and it will pay off...

The Ravens are the exception to the rule. You can take them earlier than others every year and it will pay off...

Wrong. Looking at one of my leagues with fairly standard defensive scoring

2006 - Baltimore and Chicago were the top 2 defenses, next team was 40 points out

2005 - Baltimore finished 16th overall ... top defense was the Giants but they didn't have much seperation from the rest of the field

2004 - Baltimore finished 2nd overall ... but the distance between 2nd and 3rd was only 10 points, 2nd to 5th was 20 points, Buffalo was 1st

2003 - Baltimore finished 1st overall, but again there was not much seperation between them and the rest of the field

So while you did okay if you drafted Baltimore with your 5th round pick in '06, '04 and '03 ... only in 2006 did it make a real difference. In the other two years Baltimore was close enough to the rest of the pack that you'd have been better off finding another defense later.