[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Draft "Strategerie" Question

SpinalTapp

12 man league. I will take LT with the first pick overall. After this pick, my team will look like this (including my keepers):

QB:

RB1: LT

RB2: C.Benson

WR1:

WR2: Burress

FLEX:

TE: VDavis

I will have Mark Clayton on my roster, but would prefer he stay on my bench. My next two picks come back to back at the end of round 2 and beginning of round 3. I believe the following players may be the best available:

T.Brady/McNabb

J.Jones/B.Jackson/L.Jordan

R.Wayne/Fitz/Boldin.T.Holt (maybe TO)

I am thinking of going Brady/R.Wayne (in no particular order). QBs and DSTs score a ton of pts in our league. I should also note that I hold the first THREE picks in the fourth round (where our keeper rounds begin), so I will have a lot of flexibility coming back down after the third round. I could hold off at QB in the 2nd or 3rd and go for a guy like Bulger in the 4th - but I am worried that I even Bulger will be gone by then.

Would you be comfortable excecuting this QB/WR strategy knowing that I would grab at least one more RB in the fourth round (TBell, C.Brown, F.Taylor, W.Dunn, D.Foster quality type)?

Hugh,

Because of our keeper system, there are a lot of good RBs already on rosters. To put in it in perspective, Ahman Green is the 17th best RB on the board. I have the last pick in the 2nd round, 24th overall. Ahman will be off the board by then. I really believe I will be looking at guys like Jordan, JJones, Brandon Jackson, A.Peterson, D.Mcallister, D.Foster, W.Dunn, F.Taylor, T.Bell, etc at pick 2.12.

IMO, you can put all those guys in a jar, shake it up, and randomly pick out the winner. I would rather take a guy like TO or Wayne that I know is going to deliver for me at 2.12 and grab one or two of these guys in the fourth round to add to my team, regardless of which falls to me at that point (there will be a huge WR run in the third round that will ensure at least four of the guys listed above will be available to me in the fourth round when I have the first three picks).

I just dont see these RBs worth taking such a risk on in the 2nd round. I would rather reach a bit for the best WR and QB at 2.12 and 3.1 then reach for an RB that I can pick back up in the 4th when the QB and WR talent will be much, much thinner.

Your thoughts?

Hugh,

Because of our keeper system, there are a lot of good RBs already on rosters. To put in it in perspective, Ahman Green is the 17th best RB on the board. I have the last pick in the 2nd round, 24th overall. Ahman will be off the board by then. I really believe I will be looking at guys like Jordan, JJones, Brandon Jackson, A.Peterson, D.Mcallister, D.Foster, W.Dunn, F.Taylor, T.Bell, etc at pick 2.12.

IMO, you can put all those guys in a jar, shake it up, and randomly pick out the winner. I would rather take a guy like TO or Wayne that I know is going to deliver for me at 2.12 and grab one or two of these guys in the fourth round to add to my team, regardless of which falls to me at that point (there will be a huge WR run in the third round that will ensure at least four of the guys listed above will be available to me in the fourth round when I have the first three picks).

I just dont see these RBs worth taking such a risk on in the 2nd round. I would rather reach a bit for the best WR and QB at 2.12 and 3.1 then reach for an RB that I can pick back up in the 4th when the QB and WR talent will be much, much thinner.

Your thoughts?

I'd take TO and Wayne or Fitz, or I'd reach for Adrian Peterson and take him and Owens. If you don't grab a RB now, by the time it gets back to you at the end of the 4th round, there will be NOTHING left in the RB department.

I would be dead set on drafting an RB in that spot. Are you sure those are the best RB options? No McGahee, Edge, Bush, Brandon Jacobs, MJD, Thomas Jones? One of those guys and the best available WR is what I'd do.

I agree with Hugh, I think Brady might even be there on the next go for you, if not a Bulger/Mcnabb might

Eight of the 12 teams in our league kept QBs heading into the draft. Palmer and Peyton will be picked by the end of the 2nd round. That will leave Brady, McNabb, or Bulger available at the end of the 2nd round and beyond for two teams that must take a QB and eight other teams that might want to upgrade at QB.

The good news is that I really think there will be a strong WR run in the third round, as everyone will be grabbing RBs in the first two rounds. That should mean that all three QBs (or at least one of them) should slide into the beginning of the fourth round. However, if I am wrong, and all three QBs are taken before the start of the 4th round, here is what I will be left to chose from as my #1QB

Romo

Favre

EManning

Cutler

Yikes. If I can keep my backbone, I should go RB/WR and have faith that Bulger, McNabb, or Brady will fall to me at 4.1. However, if I am wrong, my season will be in big trouble - none of the other QBs available can take me all the way.

Your thoughts with this new perspective?

Eight of the 12 teams in our league kept QBs heading into the draft. Palmer and Peyton will be picked by the end of the 2nd round. That will leave Brady, McNabb, or Bulger available at the end of the 2nd round and beyond for two teams that must take a QB and eight other teams that might want to upgrade at QB.

The good news is that I really think there will be a strong WR run in the third round, as everyone will be grabbing RBs in the first two rounds. That should mean that all three QBs (or at least one of them) should slide into the beginning of the fourth round. However, if I am wrong, and all three QBs are taken before the start of the 4th round, here is what I will be left to chose from as my #1QB

Romo

Favre

EManning

Cutler

Yikes. If I can keep my backbone, I should go RB/WR and have faith that Bulger, McNabb, or Brady will fall to me at 4.1. However, if I am wrong, my season will be in big trouble - none of the other QBs available can take me all the way.

Your thoughts with this new perspective?

If you shore up your RB's and WR's, and have Tony Romo as your starting QB, you will do VERY well.

Hugh,

Your thoughts?

If all of those RBs are available, I'd take Deuce and either Wayne or Brady at 24/25. If both Wayne and Brady are left, I'd go with Wayne, then see who is left at QB at 48.

If you shore up your RB's and WR's, and have Tony Romo as your starting QB, you will do VERY well.

And, if I can potentially get my hands on TO in the 2nd round and grab Romo in the 4th as my worst case - they will make a nice tandem this year.

Thanks for the input Hugh - as always - it is great perspective (I hope you are sleeping through the night now with the little one)

And, if I can potentially get my hands on TO in the 2nd round and grab Romo in the 4th as my worst case - they will make a nice tandem this year.

Thanks for the input Hugh - as always - it is great perspective (I hope you are sleeping through the night now with the little one)

My pleasure. And yes, my advice this year will be crisp and clear since my 6 month old has been sleeping through the night for the past 4 months. :D