[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

MJD and Gonzo or Gates and Peterson

thecure

I'm in a heated debated with a good friend of mine regarding this issue. Last week in our 12 team H2H 1pt for reception league, with my 2nd pick 21st overall I took Gates, I know this is early, but I knew I wouldn't get him in the 3rd.

I made the decision to grab Gates here for 2 reasons:

#1) I felt that the difference between Jones-Drew (Who I believed would be available at teh 21st pick and he was) and Adrian Peterson based on projections was very close (Of course there was no assurance I would get Peterson with the 45th pick, but as it turned out I did) and that there wasn't enough of a benefit to take him here.

#2) The difference between Gates and Gonzo was more significant than the difference between MJD and Peterson.

So who would you rather have?

MJD and Gonzo or Gates and Peterson everything else being equal?

Thanks.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, I am just not a big Gonzo fan. If you swap him out with some upside like Vernon Davis, it would be more diffifult for me because I do like MJD more than most.

But in this case, I agree that Gates/Peterson is the better choice.

Davis was also available to the teamt that selected Gonzo (I believe). To answer Furds question, regarding what round they were selected in, MJD and Gates were selected in the same roung.

As for AP and Gonzo, I'm not sure I believe Gonzo was taken in the 5th round with the 3rd pick.

As for AP and Gonzo, I'm not sure I believe Gonzo was taken in the 5th round with the 3rd pick.

So everything wasn't equal, and you're seeking some affirmation of your drafting prowess.

What are you going to do? Send the guy a link to this thread and use the collective opinions of those frequenting this august forum to bolster your claims? Or perhaps its to bolster a lack of confidence in your own opinion and judgment?

Whatever your purpose, I hope that it provides you with the comfort that you seek.

MJD has done it, and plays with Fragile Fred. AP has NOT done it at this level, and has 3 different injuries from college.

Gates is good, but so is Gonzo, especially on a team that has no other WRs.

I say: insanity. Should've gone the other way, you'd have scored more points by the end of th year.

I already have the comfort, because I drafted the way I did with that in mind.

I think the issue was that Gates was not a good pick there because he was a consesus 3rd draft pick and I took him in the 2nd. And my point was that it was a good pick if you look at the replacement player that I got in return.

In this case, I drafted Gates/Peterson and he received MJD/Gonzo.

Now, I can add this to the mix. As a result of not taking MJD in the 2nd I was not able to load up on RB's and the other team in question was able to draft and additional RB, so here is another question to ask:

Would you rather have?

MJD as your #2 RB, Gonzo as your #1 TE and Peterson as your #3RB who does not play regularly because we only start two backs

or

Peterson #2RB, Gates #1TE and Ladell Betts at your #3RB.

You're kinda asking a dumb question, with all due respect. The value comes with where they were drafted. Show us the first 5 picks of each team, and we'll tell you who did better. Comparing a #2 and #3 pick and a #2 and #5 pick makes absolutely no sense.

your comparison is fatally flawed if gonzo didn't go until several rounds later. a more apt comparison would be gates, peterson, plus a WR that went in the 5th round when gonzo went (probably like a darrel jackson), versus MJD, gonzo, plus the best WR available at 2.21 (probably like a reggie wayne). and then, my friend, you don't look so f'n smaht. i think you overpayed for gates and are now just trying to rationalize it.

I'm in a heated debated with a good friend of mine regarding this issue. Last week in our 12 team H2H 1pt for reception league, with my 2nd pick 21st overall I took Gates, I know this is early, but I knew I wouldn't get him in the 3rd.

I made the decision to grab Gates here for 2 reasons:

#1) I felt that the difference between Jones-Drew (Who I believed would be available at teh 21st pick and he was) and Adrian Peterson based on projections was very close (Of course there was no assurance I would get Peterson with the 45th pick, but as it turned out I did) and that there wasn't enough of a benefit to take him here.

#2) The difference between Gates and Gonzo was more significant than the difference between MJD and Peterson.

So who would you rather have?

MJD and Gonzo or Gates and Peterson everything else being equal?

Thanks.

It depends...who else was available at that 21st pick that you passed up on? ADP says you could pick up one of the top WRs at that spot or at least a very good #2 RB. If you passed on either of those to pick up Gates early when Gonzo, Heap or Vernon Davis could be had much later then I think you wasted the pick & reached unnecessarily. Never mind if you like MJD or not, there should still be a lot of players there at 21 with a much higher value than Gates. I also think you are taking a bit of a risk with AP being your #2 RB, as someone else stated he hasn't proven anything yet other than he looks great in college & pre-season and he has a penchant for getting hurt. Gates is great & should put you at the top of the TE chart...but what did you give up to get him & is your TE scoring enough to make it worthwile?

your comparison is fatally flawed if gonzo didn't go until several rounds later. a more apt comparison would be gates, peterson, plus a WR that went in the 5th round when gonzo went (probably like a darrel jackson), versus MJD, gonzo, plus the best WR available at 2.21 (probably like a reggie wayne). and then, my friend, you don't look so f'n smaht. i think you overpayed for gates and are now just trying to rationalize it.

Az hit the nail on the head here. You screwed the pooch and ARE looking for us to pat your head and say, it's ok, you're still a good boy.

You're kinda asking a dumb question, with all due respect. The value comes with where they were drafted. Show us the first 5 picks of each team, and we'll tell you who did better. Comparing a #2 and #3 pick and a #2 and #5 pick makes absolutely no sense.

+1.

And trust me, Hugh is the czar of knowing what is dumb. :D

I already have the comfort, because I drafted the way I did with that in mind.

I think the issue was that Gates was not a good pick there because he was a consesus 3rd draft pick and I took him in the 2nd. And my point was that it was a good pick if you look at the replacement player that I got in return.

In this case, I drafted Gates/Peterson and he received MJD/Gonzo.

Now, I can add this to the mix. As a result of not taking MJD in the 2nd I was not able to load up on RB's and the other team in question was able to draft and additional RB, so here is another question to ask:

Would you rather have?

MJD as your #2 RB, Gonzo as your #1 TE and Peterson as your #3RB who does not play regularly because we only start two backs

or

Peterson #2RB, Gates #1TE and Ladell Betts at your #3RB.

Wait a minute...your first post said "everything else being equal" creating the assumption that both MJD/Gates & Gonzo/Peterson were all taken in the same respective rounds....so what round was Gonzo taken in & what other players did this other team get in the rounds in between?

here are the starters that matter for the two teams in question.

QB Romo (7)

RB LJ (1)

\RB Peterson (4)

WR A. Johnson (3)

WR L. Coles (5)

WR M. Clayton (6)

TE Gates (2)

QB Kitna (7)

RB Addai (1)

RB MJD (2)

WR R. Williams (3)

WR DJ Hackett (6)

WR DJ Hackett (8)

TE Gozo (5)

I'm not sure if that is going to be enough, I more or less was just trying to find out if most people thought that reaching for Gates in the 2nd was worth it. I think it was based upon the replacement value, however it might not have been if you look at the RB depth issue. Which is tough to evaluate right away because we won't start our #3 back (hopefully) unless its a bye or an injury issue.

That's all I was interested in. Thanks.

Wait a minute...your first post said "everything else being equal" creating the assumption that both MJD/Gates & Gonzo/Peterson were all taken in the same respective rounds....so what round was Gonzo taken in & what other players did this other team get in the rounds in between?

the dude named himself after a band known for using a lot of hair mousse and lipstick. you can't expect him to be able to form an intelligent fantasy football analogy.