[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

More Draft Strategy

I have been reading a lot of posts on this board regarding folks who have late-round picks in their leagues. There seems to be some opinion out there that if you are at/towards the end of your league's first-round order, you should take a RB and then grab a WR on the wrap-around. Why is this? Is it more of a 12-team thing because of the extra ~4 picks over a 10-team league?

I am in a 10-team redraft (no PPR) and have the #7 pick. I planned on taking someone like SA/Parker/Rudi, then grabbing a Henry/McGahee/Edge type player at the #14 pick. If ADP's have Steve Smith/Chad Johnson going ~22-23, shouldn't there definitely be a top-5 WR when I pick again @ 27? What is the argument for having OchoCinco/Brandon Jacobs instead of Travis Henry/Roy Williams?

I think you can be successful going RB/RB/WR or RB/WR/RB, so long as you end up with two RBs in your first three picks. It simply depends upon what players are drafted in front of you. This year, I think there are enough quality RBs where if a WR you love is available at #14, you can take him, and end up with a quality #2 RB with the 27th pick. In my draft, I also had the #7 pick in a 10 team, no PPR league, and was lucky enough to have Addai fall to me. I figured since I had a stud RB, and since 12 of the first 13 picks were RBs, at #14 I grabbed Steve Smith. The remaining RBs, like Henry, Brown, and Benson, did not really excite me for various reasons. I then grabbed Thomas Jones at #27, Deuce in the 6th round, and handcuffed Jones with Leon Washington late. I think my #2 RB spot will be about as productive with Jones/Deuce as it would have been with one of Henry/Benson/Brown. And, I got a better WR than would have been available at #27.

I agree . I was talking with a guy in my league and he was trying to get me to take a WR on the turn(i have pick 8 ) so that the people at the front of the draft did not get LT and S.S mith on the same team . I draft for value so I will take the player that will get me the most points at that draft spot...

There are many wr to choose from this year, like most years. I strongly believe that you take 2 rbs and then start looking at wr. There are just not that many quality rbs out there that are not sharing time with someone else.

There are many wr to choose from this year, like most years. I strongly believe that you take 2 rbs and then start looking at wr. There are just not that many quality rbs out there that are not sharing time with someone else.

See, this is the same line of reasoning I take into the draft. I MIGHT get lucky and see someone like Thomas Jones or Brandon Jacobs still be there when I pick my 3rd-rounder at 27 overall. But I am next to positive that I will be able to choose someone like TO, Roy Williams, or Reggie Wayne in the 3rd round. I sure like those guys more than the chance that my RB2 may end up being Jamal Lewis (if a WR run doesn't start late in the 2nd round/early in the 3rd).

Edited by CardinalEmpire.com

The way I see it is that you don't want to be playing catch up with the rest of your leage. When you do that you end up with someone like Lamont Jordan as your 2nd running back. We all know this is not what we want to have happen. This of course is assuming that most owners in your league go rb/rb in the first two rounds. Those people that break that mold are always playing catch up. I saw a guy draft a qb with the 8th pick first round in a 12 man league this weekend. He wasn't too happy with his rbs at the end of the draft. I, on the other hand, grabbed two solid rbs right away and then ended up with solid wrs through out the rest of the draft. There are plenty more high quality wrs out there than rbs. Grab your rbs fast and often.