[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Keeper League Draft strategy?

theprez

Keeper question for my 8 man Yahoo league (standard scoring plus 0.5 pts per catch... standard lineup plus RB/WR flex)

Draft is this Friday!!

I have excellent value keepers of - Maroney (7th rd), SJackson (10th rd), and Brees (12th rd)

Without going into long details... there are a lot of RB keepers except for a few top ones, but all top WRs are available.

I will have the #1 overall pick and LT is non keeper eligible, so I will take him (to pair with SJax!)

This is where my snag is... knowing that I have to wait a little bit for my 2nd/3rd rd back to back picks... there will be a good amount of WRs taken (simply because of the lack of RBs that are draftable).

2 of the 8 teams will have 2nd round keepers, so that will knock out a couple of the teams picking before me.

I am trying to count the big dogs available to try to figure out 3 things....

1) Should I go WR/WR

or

2) Should I go WR/AGates (assuming he will be there) Having LT & Gates shouldn't be a concern... Winslow and Cooley are the only TE keepers

or

3) Should I go WR/RB (if a RB actually falls? Although it would just be insurance since I have LT, SJax, Maroney)

Since I will take LT... then wait the 7 remaining 1st rd picks, and then only 5 pickable 2nd round picks... there will be 12 guys taken off the board before my 2nd/3rd rd picks.

If I am not taking WR/RB and considering WR/Gates.... then I need to find that line of WR separation.... from taking WR/Gates or 2 top WRs.

Where would you draw the line in separating the WRs to take 1 WR and Gates??

After my #1 pick there will I2 of the below players drafted-

Top Available RBs:

LT (I will take #1 overall)

SAlexander

RJohnson

Westbrook

EJames

BJacobs

Portis

TJones

Top Available QBs:

PManning

CPalmer

Kitna

McNabb

Top Available WRs:

SSmith

CJohnson

TOwens

MHarrison

RWayne

RWilliams

Holt

Fitzgerald

LEvans

AJohnson

DDriver

Colston

TJHoush

Boldin

Assuming that the top 4 RBs go and Manning goes... I could be sitting with Fitz/Evans and below WRs available to pick from..

Would you snag WR/BJacobs... or WR/Gates.... or WR/WR (and target Gonzo, Shockey, VDavis or Heap with the next set of picks?)

By starting the draft with 3 RBs (after taking LT) and a top QB... I am just a couple WRs away from having a super solid team.

Thanks for taking the time to help out!!

Doesn't matter, you'll have LT and S-Jax :D

I wuld try to go WR/WR but if only one on your list is there, then I would grab Gates. Definitely wait for the 3rd RB unless a top 15 guy drops

Thanks for the reply... so you would take any of the 2 below WRs before taking just 1 and Gates??

Fitzgerald

LEvans

AJohnson

DDriver

Colston

TJHoush

Boldin

Just tryin to figure out if the list should be separated somewhere?

Like... If both Fitz and Evans are available, take both.... but if only 1 of those 2 are available, then take the 1 and Gates etc etc

I am just not sure if AJ, Driver, Colston, Housh and Boldin should be ranked ahead of Gates???

But then I think... take 2 WRs and target 1 of either Gonzo, Shockey, VDavis or Heap in the next round??

Thanks again

Edited by theprez

Thanks for the reply... so you would take any of the 2 below WRs before taking just 1 and Gates??

Fitzgerald

LEvans

AJohnson

DDriver

Colston

TJHoush

Boldin

Like... If both Fitz and Evans are available, take both.... but if only 1 of those 2 are available, then take the 1 and Gates etc etc

I am just not sure if AJ, Driver, Colston, Housh and Boldin should be ranked ahead of Gates???

But then I think... take 2 WRs and target 1 of either Gonzo, Shockey, VDavis or Heap in the next round??

Thanks again

There may even be a couple WRs I would add to that list.

You are in an 8 team league the difference between Gates and the next couple TEs is not that far to make your hit at WR worthwhile. I would do the 2 WRs than go RB/TE or QB on the next turn.

TEs go deeper than they have in a few years. And IMO V. Davis does not deserve to be in the same group as Gonzo, Heap and Shockey.

And IMO V. Davis does not deserve to be in the same group as Gonzo, Heap and Shockey.

Agree... just went off of the huddle cheat sheet... which surprisingly had Davis # 5.... after Shockey and before Heap!

What other WRs would you add to that list, and would take with the 2nd/3rd rd picks??

Thanks again for your insight!

Agree... just went off of the huddle cheat sheet... which surprisingly had Davis # 5.... after Shockey and before Heap!

What other WRs would you add to that list, and would take with the 2nd/3rd rd picks??

Thanks again for your insight!

Ahh maybe none. Use the list in your 1st post. Questionable would be R. Moss (head case) and Buress (back) but I would go w/Gates over them myself

Next time your up look at guys like Coles, Ward, Mark Clayton, Branch, Cotchery

FWIW- I'm not sold on Evans and would do Gates b4 him

Ahh maybe none. Use the list in your 1st post. Questionable would be R. Moss (head case) and Buress (back) but I would go w/Gates over them myself

Next time your up look at guys like Coles, Ward, Mark Clayton, Branch, Cotchery

FWIW- I'm not sold on Evans and would do Gates b4 him

OK... so kicking Evans out of the group... just to see remaining WRs...

Fitzgerald

AJohnson

DDriver

Colston

TJHoush

Boldin

You would snag any 2 WRs before Gates?? Cause with only 12 guys drafted after my #1 pick, there will definately be most (if not all) of these WRs available. Not to mention if Holt (injury concern) drops.

Fitzgerald

LEvans

AJohnson

DDriver

Colston

TJHoush

Boldin

Thanks again

I would take any 2 of that list before Gates, With the rbs you have you will never play more than 2 WRs , so take em now and move on to QB , TE/WR next time around.