[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Peyton Experiment

abishagenaden

So in my 3 years in FF, I've never, ever had Peyton on my teams, for some reason or other. However, due to a number of factors around this draft, namely: 1) this being my last draft for this upcoming season (i.e. draft fatigue), 2) the fact that it was a for a small buy-in, 3) rules are 6pts per passing TD (no PPR), and 4) I just missed out on Addai who got taken with the 4th pick, I decided to experiment a little and go with Peyton using my 5th overall pick.

This is how my draft turned out:

1. (5) Peyton Manning QB

2. (20) Brandon Jacobs RB

3. (29) Reggie Wayne WR

4. (44) Marques Colston WR

5. (53) Calvin Johnson WR

6. (68 ) Julius Jones RB

7. (77) Vernon Davis TE

8. (92) Brandon Jackson RB

9. (101) Pittsburgh DEF

10. (116) Tony Hunt RB

11. (125) Owen Daniels TE

12. (140) Jacoby Jones WR

13. (149) Green Bay DEF

14. (164) Matt Schaub QB

15. (173) Olindo Mare K

16. (188) Brandon Marshall WR

I thought I'd end up having to go QB-RB-WR-RB, but with Colston falling to me I had to grab him in the 4th. I feel that, even with using my first pick on Peyton, I still ended up with a team that should be serviceable/competitive. Granted, I wasn't drafting with a bunch of Huddlers, and that shone through in the later rounds. But what do you guys think? Anyone else try a similar 'experiment' this year, and how'd it turn out for you?

Assuming that:

- Jacobs manages the 1100/10 that many sites are predicting...

- No sophomore slump for Colston...

- Calvin & Marshall both do more than many have predicted...

- Julius gets 200 carries & is given a map to the EZ...

...you should be competitive.

Edited by ts

your RBs are weak since you passed on Herry/Gore/SA/Westy/Rudi etc..

You mean to tell me Jacobs was your best pick at 20? I have a hard time with him as the 20th best RB period never mind you probably drafted him as the 12th or so RB?

I don't like Peyton over a top-5 RB

I don't like Jacobs much at all.

But that's me, I have a bad feeling if my RBs are Jacobs, J. Jones etc..

I thought the RB was supposed to be the heart and soul of a fantasy team. Also Peyton will only score a few more points than Palmer/Brees/Brady etc. IMO so I'd rather get top-5 RB and top-5 QB rather than top-1 QB and bottom 15 RB (just IMO)

But I love your WRs

I wouldn't count much on Tony Hunt (as I'm a Philly native) since the best he can be is a three-headed monster.

I would see if you can move Calvin Johnson for Jamal or some full time RB or else you are in a world of pain

Edited by rai

There is no reason to experiment because there is nothing to be questioned. Always take RBs in the first round. Dude, you had the 5th pick and you wasted it. Maybe if you were towards the end of the 1st..

The difference between the No. 1 quarterback last season (Peyton Manning) and the No. 10 (Vince Young) averaged out to just five points per game. Peyton is always consistent and will give you 4000 yards and 30tds, but so will a few other QBs. He had an amazing season in 2004, but those days are over. With the addition of Addai, he won't be seeing 45+ tds.

Now you are stuck with Jacobs who hasn't proven anything besides being tough at the goal line and Jones who shares the load with TD man Marion Barber.

One player doesn't win you championships. You should never draft around 1 player.

With that lineup, I predict you to win no more than 5 games if you're lucky.

Edited by ttran

• 3 weeks later...

Post week 3 update on the "Peyton experiment". Currently 0-3 (surprise, surprise), so far the only excitement from this team was the Colt's game in week1 against the Saints, when Peyton hooked up with Wayne for some double-dipping. The team still lost, of course. Jacob's knee sprain, Julius' incompetence, and Vernon's lack of production (and now injury) have not helped matters, of course, with frequent trips to the WW needed in an attempt to keep the team afloat. This team now sits 11th out of 12 teams, with the 2nd least points scored. Favorable matchups in week 4 suggest a possible upset of the 2nd-placed 3-0 team, but a playoff berth now seems like a long shot.

Current roster and history:

QB

P.Manning

M.Schaub - dropped after Week1

RB

B.Jacobs - out for a while more

J.Jones - about to be dropped

D.Ward - added after Week1 when Jacobs went down

C.Brown - added after Week1

T.Hunt - dropped before Week1

B.Jackson - dropped before Week3

WR

R.Wayne

M.Colston

Jam.Jones - added before Week1

Jac.Jones - dropped after Week3

B.Marshall

Cal.Johnson - banged up

D.Bowe - added after Week3

TE

V.Davis - out for the next few weeks

O.Daniels - dropped, then added before Week3

K

O.Mare - dropped after Week1

M.Crosby - added, then dropped

J.Reed - added before Week3

Def

Pitt - drafted

GB - drafted

Edited by abishagenaden

• 3 weeks later...

Post week 6 update on the "Peyton experiment". Currently 2-4 and sitting in 10th (out of 12) place -- after going 0-3 in the first 3 games, I managed to reel off 2 wins in weeks 4 and 5 (including knocking off the 3-0 team in week 4) to bring me within a hair of an even win-loss record, but alas, Warner's fragility, combined with Welker's heroism against my team, were enough to overcome us this past week when I had both Peyton, Wayne, Marshall, and Megatron on their byes. I have been by far the most active on the waiver wire, more out of necessity (i.e. thanks to not having a single reliable starting RB) then anything, and as you can see, it's been ugly. Also, trading (both offers and acceptances) has been virtually non-existent. With the season getting shorter, my next update will come after Week 8. By then, we should have a clearer idea of whether or not there this team still has a shot at reaching the playoffs or not.

Current roster and history:

QB

P.Manning

K.Warner - added after Week5, dropped after Week6 for L.Betts

RB

B.Jacobs - 3RBs in NY uh oh

J.Jones - dropped after Week3 for Graham

D.Ward - added after Week1 when Jacobs went down, dropped after Week4 for K.Watson

C.Brown - added after Week1, dropped after Week3 for Dayne

E.Graham - added after Week3, dropped after Week5 for K.Warner, re-added after Week5

R.Dayne - added after Week3, dropped after Week5 for E.Graham

K.Watson - added after Week4, dropped after Week4 for Stecker

A.Stecker - added after Week4, dropped almost immediately for K.Keith

K.Keith - added after Week4

S.Young - added after Week4

J.Wright - added after Week5, dropped after Week6

L.Betts - added after Week6

M.Bennett - added after Week6

WR

R.Wayne - drafted

M.Colston - drafted

Jam.Jones - added before Week1, dropped after Week5 for J.Wright

B.Marshall - drafted

Cal.Johnson - drafted

TE

V.Davis - dropped after Week4 for S.Young, re-added after Week6

O.Daniels - dropped, then added before Week3

K

O.Mare - dropped after Week1 for Crosby

M.Crosby - added after Week1, dropped before Week3

J.Reed - added before Week3, dropped after Week5 for K.Brown

K.Brown - added after Week5

Def

Pitt - drafted

GB - drafted, dropped after Week6 for V.Davis

Edited by abishagenaden

Experiments were developed to gauge outcomes based on abnormal variables. Your draft was not an experiment, it was a debacle and the outcome was pretty apparent shortly after you finished the draft. I am surprised you won 2 games. I don't know why you keep updating us. Sorry man, but the Peyton experiment was rendered useless when you drafted Jacobs 2nd.

Experiments were developed to gauge outcomes based on abnormal variables. Your draft was not an experiment, it was a debacle and the outcome was pretty apparent shortly after you finished the draft. I am surprised you won 2 games. I don't know why you keep updating us. Sorry man, but the Peyton experiment was rendered useless when you drafted Jacobs 2nd.

Well hindsight is always 20-20, huh? I keep updating so that those who might be tempted to draft Peyton first in the future, can convince themselves that it's a good/bad decision. If you don't care for the updates, I don't know why you keep reading them. Just tune out. Simple, no?

Its not hindsight...I just don't draft Jacobs 20 overall, a rookie receiver 53 overall and Julius 68 overall. Forget the Peyton part of the experiment...i was making a point that the rest off your draft was average to below average. Even back in early September. No hard feelings bro, I was just mixing honesty with alittle sarcasm.

Wondering who else was on the board when you picked Jacobs? Not that it matters (hindsight, you know)...

The noteworthy RBs still available were:

Thomas Jones

Edge

Caddy

Marshawn

AP

Portis

Jamal

Deuce

MBIII

Ahman

Looking at this list, and knowing what we did back in September, I still don't think picking Jacobs where I did over some of these fellas was that big of a mistake. While I do agree with CarbonThief that many of my draft picks did not pan out, the take-away, if anything, is this -- that picking Peyton first leaves you much less room for error later in your draft as you scramble/reach to make up for the weakness/es at your other positions.

Not to mention that people could have forseen that Brady would have had better stats than Manning with his WR corps. I don't think anyone would have said 21 TD's through 6 weeks but he was the # 1 Qb on a lot of boards.

Yeah I think in Brady's case I just didn't have much faith in Moss stepping up. I was part of the gang that saw his last couple of years' loss of heart/passion as permanent, and was thus not prepared to take a gamble on him. I still expected Brady to be a top 7 QB, but didn't expect him to be #1 or 2. Of course the fact that Welker and Watson (and now Stallworth) are stepping up certainly helps the Pats' air game. In any case, drafting Brady was irrelevant for the sake of this particular draft/experiment.

This experiment worked out for me last year, but ONLY because I was able to get Frank Gore and pick up MJD week 2 or so. I feel your best bet with this strategy is going Manning-WR-WR-RB-RB-RB. You have to get at least one gem like Adrian Peterson starting round 4. If it is a super competititve league, throw this strategy out the window completely. Technically, Manning is not even top 5 this year so this was a terrible year to pull this move. Good luck to your team in the second half... How does your RB situation look now?

This experiment worked out for me last year, but ONLY because I was able to get Frank Gore and pick up MJD week 2 or so. I feel your best bet with this strategy is going Manning-WR-WR-RB-RB-RB. You have to get at least one gem like Adrian Peterson starting round 4. If it is a super competititve league, throw this strategy out the window completely. Technically, Manning is not even top 5 this year so this was a terrible year to pull this move. Good luck to your team in the second half... How does your RB situation look now?

Yeah, after going with Peyton first (or any QB for the matter), you really need to have at least a couple of draft picks blow up in value (see: Moss, AP, and LaMont in his first couple of weeks) over their original draft positions. Unfortunately, that has not happened (yet) for -any- of the players drafted for this team.

RB situation is shambolic:

B.Jacobs

E.Graham

K.Keith

S.Young

M.Bennett

• 2 weeks later...

8 weeks into the Experiment, and I've just pulled off 2 straight wins to claw back up to 4-4 (7th out of 12). Still have quite a ways to go, though, if the team is to make one of the 4 playoff spots up for grabs. Yet again, I was very active on the WW the last 2 weeks, and even pulled of a trade, dealing Jacobs and Bowe for Alexander in week 6. Understandably, most will question this trade, saying that I got the raw end of the deal, but I feel that Bowe just isn't a consistent enough producer to be an every-week must start, and Alexander will bounce back in the 2nd half of the season. It's make or break time over the next two weeks, afterwhich my next update will follow.

Current roster (bolded) and history:

QB

P.Manning

K.Warner - added after Week5, dropped after Week6 for L.Betts

M.Bulger - added after Week6

RB

S.Alexander - acquired in trade for Bowe and Jacobs before Week7

B.Jacobs - 3RBs in NY uh oh, traded with Bowe for Alexander before Week7

D.Ward - added after Week1 when Jacobs went down, dropped after Week4 for K.Watson

E.Graham - added after Week3, dropped after Week5 for K.Warner, re-added after Week5

K.Watson - added after Week4, dropped after Week4 for Stecker, added before Week7

K.Keith - added after Week4, dropped after Week7 for K.Walter

L.Betts - added after Week6, dropped after Week6 for Bulger

M.Bennett - added after Week6, dropped before Week7 for Muhammad

WR

R.Wayne - drafted

M.Colston - drafted

B.Marshall - drafted

Cal.Johnson - drafted

M.Muhammad - added after Week7, dropped after Week8 for R.Brown

K.Walter - added after Week7

R.Brown - added after Week8

TE

O.Daniels - dropped, then added before Week3, dropped after Week7 for D.Lee

D.Lee - added after Week7, dropped almost immediately for T.Scheffler

T.Scheffler- added after Week7

K

K.Brown - added after Week5

Def

Pitt - drafted

Edited by abishagenaden

• 2 weeks later...

Another 2 weeks, and another win and another loss see me at 5-5 in 7th. I can surely afford no more losses if I am to make the playoffs. Again, I've been forced to pilfer the WW and have quite a mix of 2nd stringers now. The Warner pickup (3rd QB on my roster) was partially a blocking move, as a couple of teams are desperate for a QB. Perhaps an astute trade or two will bolster this squad further.

Current roster (bolded) and history:

QB

P.Manning

K.Warner - added after Week5, dropped after Week6 for L.Betts, added after Week10

M.Bulger - added after Week6

RB

S.Alexander - acquired in trade for Bowe and Jacobs before Week7

B.Jacobs - 3RBs in NY uh oh, traded with Bowe for Alexander before Week7

K.Watson - added after Week4, dropped after Week4 for Stecker, added before Week7, dropped after Week10

K.Keith - added after Week4, dropped after Week7 for K.Walter

L.Betts - added after Week6, dropped after Week6 for Bulger

M.Bennett - added after Week6, dropped before Week7 for Muhammad

Priest - added after Week9

M.Morris - added after Week9

Chester - added after Week10

WR

R.Wayne - drafted

M.Colston - drafted

B.Marshall - drafted

Cal.Johnson - drafted, dropped after Week10 for Warner

M.Muhammad - added after Week7, dropped after Week8 for R.Brown

K.Walter - added after Week7, dropped after Week8 for R.White

R.Brown - added after Week8

R.White - added after Week8, dropped after Week9 for Priest

TE

O.Daniels - dropped, then added before Week3, dropped after Week7 for D.Lee

D.Lee - added after Week7, dropped almost immediately for T.Scheffler

T.Scheffler- added after Week7, dropped after Week10 for Chester

K

K.Brown - added after Week5, dropped after Week8 for Folk

N.Folk - added after Week8

Def

Pitt - drafted

Edited by abishagenaden

• 2 weeks later...

3 wins in a row later (2 of which I knocked off the #1 team), and I'm sitting in 6th position (out of 12) at 7-5. Interestingly enough, the top 3 teams are 8-4, and the next 5 teams are 7-5. Mathematically, all of the top 8 teams still have a shot at the 4 playoff spots. With my next 2 games coming against teams above me in the standings, I should be able to secure a playoff berth if I win out in the regular season. My backfield, with its EIGHT RBs, is a mess, but at least its been producing over the last few weeks. With Warner going up against the Cleveland defense this week, I am tempted to bench Peyton. This being the 'Peyton Experiment', however, that wouldn't feel right. Thoughts?

Current roster:

QB

P.Manning

Warner

RB

Graham

Alexander

Morris

Young

A.Hall

K.Smith

Chester

Dayne

WR

R.Wayne

M.Colston

B.Marshall

TE

H.Miller

K

N.Folk

Def

Pitt

Edited by abishagenaden

I'm in the same boat. I drafted Peyton 2nd overall and I've been screwed since. I usually draft RB-RB-WR-TE-QB then fill the rest of my roster with the best value players left. I always felt any top 10 QB was good enough and tried something different this year. I fully expected to be a major contender in my league. This has been my worst year ever playing FF. I am 4-8 and fighting for the last play-off slot in my league. I've never had Peyton on my team before and my team has lost alot of close games from my mistake in drafting him HIGH. I could have taken a better WR or RB. I hope he can deliver for me in the play-offs.

I think this is a "changing of the guard" year in the NFL... New players making thier mark. I remember when Marshall Faulk and Emmitt Smith had Big years in the NFL and then they faded away. LOOK at the players drafted 1 thru 5 this year...all under performers now (based on past performance) . LT, LJ, S.Jackson, GORE and Peyton all were the top 5 and they all have underperformed, while the NEW blood is perfoming. I love Fantasy Football but I have to admit this sucks....lol. I'll let you know If I make the play-off...lol.