[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Peyton Experiment

abishagenaden

I'm in the same boat. I drafted Peyton 2nd overall and I've been screwed since. I usually draft RB-RB-WR-TE-QB then fill the rest of my roster with the best value players left. I always felt any top 10 QB was good enough and tried something different this year. I fully expected to be a major contender in my league. This has been my worst year ever playing FF. I am 4-8 and fighting for the last play-off slot in my league. I've never had Peyton on my team before and my team has lost alot of close games from my mistake in drafting him HIGH. I could have taken a better WR or RB. I hope he can deliver for me in the play-offs.

I think this is a "changing of the guard" year in the NFL... New players making thier mark. I remember when Marshall Faulk and Emmitt Smith had Big years in the NFL and then they faded away. LOOK at the players drafted 1 thru 5 this year...all under performers now (based on past performance) . LT, LJ, S.Jackson, GORE and Peyton all were the top 5 and they all have underperformed, while the NEW blood is perfoming. I love Fantasy Football but I have to admit this sucks....lol. I'll let you know If I make the play-off...lol.

Wow 4-8 and you still have a shot at the playoffs? I assume 6 out of 12 make it in? Are passing TDs 4 or 6 pts in your league? And what's the rest of your roster look like today? Hope you manage to squeeze in.

But I hear ya. This year if you didn't snag at least one of the TD machines like Brady, TO, Moss, AP, Favre, etc., chances are the season's been a bumpy ride so far.

My roster and league scoring is at the bottom. I'm in a small league. Me and another guy alternate each year as commish and he only got 10 teams this year. I prefer 12-14 teams in a league. The top 8 teams make the play off. I thought it would suck with only 10 but everyone is still trying. So me and the 9th spot are both 4-8 and are playing each other next week for the last spot. I am 4th overall in total points but I've lost some close games and I can't understand how I keep losing. With the exception of the #1 player (he's 11-1) it's been very competitive in our league. No one else has been "OWNING" anyone...the beatings are pretty well distrubted. I'm just use to dominating and its not happening for me this year. I hope to be the "DARK HORSE", make the play off's and ride all the way to the championship....lol.

So I was rewarded with big games from Manning and Wayne after deciding to pass on Warner's matchup (hope that helped you make your playoffs BigFish). Guess Fitz' potential absence (at the time) made it that much easier. So after 4 wins in a row, my team's sitting up in 3rd (out of 12) place, higher than it's ever been all season. In what must be the closest regular season finish for me in my FF experience, not 1 team has clinched yet. The top team sits at 9-4, followed by 5 teams at 8-5. I am almost certain the total points tie-breaker will come into play after this weekend's results. A good win this week should secure me a playoff spot; however, somehow my guys will have to get around the 7th-ranked team, which rosters the likes of TO and AD. With the Colts going against the Ravens' D this week, I'm not too confident of my chances. One thing's for sure, though -- with all the choices I have at RB, I'm going to have to be spot-on with my starting lineup this week.

Any other Peyton owners clinched yet?

Current roster:

QB

P.Manning

Warner

RB

Graham

Alexander

Morris

Young

K.Smith

Chester

Dayne

WR

R.Wayne

M.Colston

B.Marshall

R.White

TE

H.Miller

K

N.Folk

Def

Pitt

For what its worth and I didn't read all the posts here is my manning experiment...

10th pick in 12 man league. I decided earlier I wanted to do the manning experiment but to use him for trade bait early in the season for underperforming studs (we have a lot of inpatient owners).

Week three - day before SJAX gets injured I trade Manning, Maroney, Betts for Kitna, SJAX and McGahee... (I drafted AD in the fourth round and had Roy Williams as my no 1 receiver thinking I'd get this awesome Kitna-Williams combo)

SJAX gets injured the following day and I suffer with Brian Leonard and no one wanting to trade with me.

After SJAX comes back I trade AD and Kitna for Anderson and MJD. I've been able to muster a 7-5-1 season and holding steady in sixth place and needing two players ahead of me to each get a loss to get in the playoffs. (BTW, had I played our number one team's schedule I'd be 10-3 with the manning experiment) My matchups have been pretty brutal but the guy I traded Manning to (who also owns moss) has not done well (5-8) because I took all his RBs and Maroney has been mostly a bust.

So my Manning experiment went mostly the way I had hoped except for SJAX injury (he was on pace for a nice game the day he got injured too).

Just thought I'd tell you my manning experiment now that my season is one game away from being done.

I made it in the play-off with out playing Peyton. Luckily Anderson didn't do BAD, but Peyton rocked last week and it seems that when I play him...I lose. Needless to say I'm in and now I need him to show up big time. Harrison being out has hurt a little but gonzalez is playing well. Cya next week.

For what its worth and I didn't read all the posts here is my manning experiment...

10th pick in 12 man league. I decided earlier I wanted to do the manning experiment but to use him for trade bait early in the season for underperforming studs (we have a lot of inpatient owners).

Week three - day before SJAX gets injured I trade Manning, Maroney, Betts for Kitna, SJAX and McGahee... (I drafted AD in the fourth round and had Roy Williams as my no 1 receiver thinking I'd get this awesome Kitna-Williams combo)

SJAX gets injured the following day and I suffer with Brian Leonard and no one wanting to trade with me.

After SJAX comes back I trade AD and Kitna for Anderson and MJD. I've been able to muster a 7-5-1 season and holding steady in sixth place and needing two players ahead of me to each get a loss to get in the playoffs. (BTW, had I played our number one team's schedule I'd be 10-3 with the manning experiment) My matchups have been pretty brutal but the guy I traded Manning to (who also owns moss) has not done well (5-8) because I took all his RBs and Maroney has been mostly a bust.

So my Manning experiment went mostly the way I had hoped except for SJAX injury (he was on pace for a nice game the day he got injured too).

Just thought I'd tell you my manning experiment now that my season is one game away from being done.

Who did you grab with your 2nd pick? Surely not Roy or Maroney, right? I think taking Peyton anywhere after the 9th spot in a 12-team league is still doable, but your draft will need to be rock solid (and lucky in the middle rounds). Anywhere earlier than that, and you're asking for trouble (as evidenced by my taking him at #5).

Behind Peyton's 4TDs and Buffalo's D, I crushed my final opponent of our regular season, and ended 3rd (of 12) at 9-5. Turns out that even if I had lost this past week, I would have still been able to sneak into the playoffs in the 4th and last spot based on the total points scored tie-breaker. With a couple of my players (Young and Marshall) playing this Thursday, I have to decide soon whether or not to play them. The flex spot is also probably going to give me a headache. Weaknesses at TE and Def (both attributable to the Steelers) mean I might have to dip into the WW yet again. Although it is nice to have finally made the playoffs (especially after spending most of the regular season languishing in the bottom half of our rankings), there's not much time to rest with 2 big weeks of football left.

Current roster:

QB

P.Manning

Warner

RB

Graham

Alexander

Young

K.Smith

Chester

Dayne

WR

R.Wayne

M.Colston

B.Marshall

R.White

A.Gonzalez

TE

H.Miller

K

N.Folk

Def

Pitt

I didn't play Peyton and I crushed the #2 team (9-4) in the qtr finals. My RB's came up BIG TIME for me last week. Just in case you didn't notice, they sat Peyton in the 3rd qtr and I have a gut feeling they will sit him the second half again if they are killing OAK. I'm trying to see what they have left to play for. I think I can gamble one more week and play Anderson. After finishing 5-8 and knocking off one of the better teams, I think the dark horse of FF will ride into the finals.

I didn't play Peyton and I crushed the #2 team (9-4) in the qtr finals. My RB's came up BIG TIME for me last week. Just in case you didn't notice, they sat Peyton in the 3rd qtr and I have a gut feeling they will sit him the second half again if they are killing OAK. I'm trying to see what they have left to play for. I think I can gamble one more week and play Anderson. After finishing 5-8 and knocking off one of the better teams, I think the dark horse of FF will ride into the finals.

If I had the luxury of having Anderson as my backup I might consider it, but unfortunately I only have a fading Warner. Perhaps, if Boldin and Fitz were 100% I might. Good luck this week!

Well, with McNabb and Crosby netting almost 20 points each against me this week, and almost all of my line-up decisions going wrong, my Peyton-led team stood no chance.

So there you have it, ladies and gents -- drafting Peyton first (only when passing TDs are at least 4pts each) you can still build yourself a competitive team, if you vulture the WW like crazy, but life will be tough. The Experiment is now officially over.

Like the BEE GEE's, I'm "STAYIN ALIVE". 5-8 record with Peyton, make the play-off, beat the #2 seed in the QTR Finals, kill the next guy in the SEMI finals and your in the FINALs. The weirdest FF year for me ever. Let's see if I can win it all.

I assume you're benching Peyton this week, right? Good luck!