[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How early to take a Def?

linkster

Last year I had Chicago def. The were a monster on points and when stacked up in the end had more points than some of the best palyers. I’m on a 8-team performance league. I draft 4th. Here is the scoring for our def. What round to take a Chic or Balt?

6 points for defensive touchdown

6 points for punt return for a touchdown

6 points for kick return for a touchdown

2 points for a safety

Award 10 points for points allowed in the range of 0 to 0.

Award 7 points for points allowed in the range of 1 to 3.

Award 5 points for points allowed in the range of 4 to 6.

Award 3 points for points allowed in the range of 7 to 10.

Award 1 point for points allowed in the range of 11 to 14.

2 points for an interception

2 points for a fumble recovery

1 pt for a sack

I woud go much earlier. I would take the Bears or the Baltimore Def once you get a couple of RB's a QB and a Wr, if you look at your cheatseat and see a number ( 8 or so) of good WR left on the board The value you get will offset any lost production from a slighlty lower WR. The lower WR may actually out perform the higher ones.

I would apply the same philosphy tp A Gates

I woud go much earlier. I would take the Bears or the Baltimore Def once you get a couple of RB's a QB and a Wr, if you look at your cheatseat and see a number ( 8 or so) of good WR left on the board The value you get will offset any lost production from a slighlty lower WR. The lower WR may actually out perform the higher ones.

I would apply the same philosphy tp A Gates

I’m toying with taking chic or Balt def in round 6 (if they are there), I think they stand out enough to justify that. Anyone agree or am I off my rocker. Like I said last year Chic def got me a ton of points they (total fantasy points) were 3rd best on my team!

linkster -

You need to look at the value they generated, not the total points scored. By how much did they out score other defenses, and by how much do you realistically expect them to outscore defenses this year and compare that to the point differential you anticipate at other positions.

In addition, generally speaking team defense scoring is quite volatile from year to year. That's not to say the Bears or Ravens wont be the top defenses again this year, just that it seems that Team D is one of the riskier positions to look for repeat performances.