[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Smartphone Wireless Card

Rebellab

I have a Treo 700w and I don't want to pay $45 a month for wi-fi from Verizon. I only need wi-fi occasionally and could search out a hotspot when needed. I know they have wireless cards for smartphones, does anyone have one or any experience with one? They can be bought on ebay for $60.

I have a Treo 700w and I don't want to pay $45 a month for wi-fi from Verizon. I only need wi-fi occasionally and could search out a hotspot when needed. I know they have wireless cards for smartphones, does anyone have one or any experience with one? They can be bought on ebay for $60.

If you have a data plan from Verizon, you should be able to surf the net without wifi as long as you are able to get cellular coverage. I have a pocket PC 6700 from sprint that has both wifi and a data plan. I have used the wifi on my home network, but generally use Sprint's EVDO service. If you have wifi built into the phone, you don't need to pay extra for using it.

I don't know if this answers your question or not.

If you have a data plan from Verizon, you should be able to surf the net without wifi as long as you are able to get cellular coverage. I have a pocket PC 6700 from sprint that has both wifi and a data plan. I have used the wifi on my home network, but generally use Sprint's EVDO service. If you have wifi built into the phone, you don't need to pay extra for using it.

I don't know if this answers your question or not.

I don't have the data plan and really can't justify the cost of it. Therefore I would need to get a network card for around $60 which over the long haul is much cheaper. Just wonder what others' experience has been.

I don't have the data plan and really can't justify the cost of it. Therefore I would need to get a network card for around $60 which over the long haul is much cheaper. Just wonder what others' experience has been.

i presume the treo 700w doesn't have wifi built in.

I had a SDIO wifi card for an HP Ipaq PDA (i think its was a wifi "b" card) a few years back without any problems, but i don't have any experiences with wifi cards and smartphones.

If i can dig up the wifi card, I can send it to you if you want to cover the cost of shipping it.

BTW - i use an unlimited sprint data plan for $15/month. I think sprint has cheaper data plans than verizon.

Edited by bluedog

i presume the treo 700w doesn't have wifi built in.

I had a SDIO wifi card for an HP Ipaq PDA (i think its was a wifi "b" card) a few years back without any problems, but i don't have any experiences with wifi cards and smartphones.

If i can dig up the wifi card, I can send it to you if you want to cover the cost of shipping it.

BTW - i use an unlimited sprint data plan for $15/month. I think sprint has cheaper data plans than verizon.

That would be great, let me know and I can paypal or send a check. I believe it takes a "b" card. For a few bucks shipping, it would be worth a shot.

Verizon rapes you for $45 a month unlimited. I just don't use it enough to justify it.