[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Advice for an interesting trade offer

Stykman22

I have been offered Vince Young and Larry Johnson for Carson Palmer and Edgerrin James. I already have LT as my main RB, and my backup QB is Alex Smith. While the upgrade to RB is intriguing, I'm not completely sold on the skills of Vince Young, especially playing in Tennessee. We are a performance league, no PPR. Starting slots are QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, K, D, D, DB, DL. I can't help but think the combo of Palmer/LT/EJ will score more than the combo of Young/LT/LJ. Any thoughts?

How many points for TD passes, and what is the point setup for completion yardage? Whatever I say later, take a look at my avatar and take my opinion FWIW... :D

Passing Yards (20 yards per point)

Passing Touchdowns (4)

Interceptions (-2)

Rushing Yards (10 yards per point)

Rushing Touchdowns (6)

Reception Yards (10 yards per point)

Reception Touchdowns (6)

Return Touchdowns (6)

2-Point Conversions (2)

Fumbles (-1)

Fumbles Lost (-2)

Offensive Fumble Return TD (6)

While having the combo of LT and LJ ius extremely appealing, the combination of just 4 pt per TD and -2 points per INT kills a lot of Young's value, as he more than likely will have a high number of INTs and, while his TD total should be boosted slightly in the ruching category, he probably is looking in the low 20's as the upper limit for his TD passes. I guess it comes down to how much you think LJ will out perform Edge. IF you see it as a wide margin, then do the deal and play matchup with your QBs. If you think LJ is in for a down year, or that Edge is in for a breakout with Arizona, then stand pat.

Personally, I think LJ will do great and would gamble on the deal taking the LT/LJ combo and playing QB matchup. Heck, there oftentimes will be a solid QB on the free agent market that comes from the lower ranks to have a great year.

My first instinct was that I'd do it, but thinking it through I probably wouldn't. The trade is pretty balanced on the surface -- I don't know that I'd expect either pair to outscore the other by much. The tiebreaker for me is that Young is high-risk. He's obviously got a big upside, but he's got a tough schedule, teams have scouted him this year, and he's definitely got the potential to put up Grossman-esque games with negative points.

While having LT and LJ together would be great, even with LT/Edge as your backfield you probably get above average production there, along with a stud QB in Palmer if you sit tight.

I'd sit. It's tempting to have LT and LJ, but I don't like sacrificing the "sure thing" at QB.

Plus Edge has some upside this year IMO, while LJ is bursting with risk.

Well, my belief is that with AZ's new coaching staff, the edge has to go to Edge. They brought in new offensive linemen to boost the running game. What has KC done? If I had a more reliable backup QB, I might be more tempted to pull the trigger. Your comments have given me good insight. Thanks.