[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Craziest single season records

muck

What are the single craziest single season records in baseball (since 1900)?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What is the single craziest single season hitting record in baseball (since 1900)?

• 36 triples in a single season (Chief Wilson, PIT, 1912)
    • 177 runs in a single season (Babe Ruth, NYY, 1921)
    • 232 walks in a single season (Barry Bonds, SF, 2002)
    • 190 RBIs in a single season (Hack Wilson, CHI, 1930)
    • 165 games in a single season (Maury Wills, LA, 1962)
    • .426 batting average in a single season (Nap Lajoie, PHI, 1901)
    • 73 HRs in a season (Barry Bonds, SF, 2001)
  2. 2. What is the single craziest single season pitching record in baseball (since 1900)?

• 48 games started (Jack Chesbro, NY, 1904)
    • 16 shutouts (Pete Alexander, PHI, 1916)
    • 464 innings pitched (Ed Walsh, CHI, 1908)
    • 41 wins (Jack Chesbro, NY, 1904)
    • 30 losses (Vic Willis, BOS, 1905)
    • 0.96 ERA (Dutch Leonard, BOS, 1914)

36 triples in a season ... next closest is 26 in 1926 (note that Ganderson is on pace for 25, iirc)

177 runs in a single season ... Ruth and Gehrig combine for the top six runs-scored-in-a-season marks ... the 7th place guy is Chuck Klein with 158 in 1930 ...

232 walks in a single season ... Bonds holds the top three spots ... 4th place is Ruth with 170 ...

190 RBIs in a single season ... the closest anyone has gotten in the last 69 years is 165 ...

165 games in a single season ... 165 games? Without being traded? You know how that happened? They used to have a three game tie-breaker series if two teams were tied for the league lead after 162 games and Maury Wills played in all 162 games that season, plus the three game tie-breaker

.426 batting average for a single season ... check out the guy who hit .492 in 130 at bats in 1872 ... holy cow!

73 HRs in a season ... you know who ...

48 games started ... Jack Chesbro is towards the bottom of the page ... check out all the guys pre-1900 and their pitching stats ... eeegads!

16 shutouts ... since 1900, the next closest is 13 ...

464 innings pitched ... mid way down on the 3rd page ... again, more insane stats from the pre-1900 crowd

41 wins ... again, more nuttiness from the old guys ...

29 losses ... and his ERA was only .321? Musta been a pretty crappy team...

0.96 ERA ... unbelieveable ...

Edited by muck

Lifetime achievement award for being a lot better than everyone else on your team.

I mean, how do you go 13-25 with a .222 ERA? And then the next year go 25-17 with a .136 ERA? How bad is your team?

How do you have an ERA under .190 in 11 of your first 13 seasons (with the other two at .222 and .221) while only going 297-191 during those years?

What sort of stats would he have had had he been on an average or better team?

Went with 232 walks and 464 innings. 232 walks! Insane.

I agree...232 walks is insane...but, it was third place on my list behind triples and games played.

To get that many walks, people either have to be afraid of you or you have to be really short and really patient. Either way, you also have to step up to the plate a bunch.

On the other hand, you actually have to do something (i.e., place the ball in the corner and scoot yer but around the bases) to get a triple - as opposed to be short and very patient. The tie-breaker for me between "triples" and "walks" was that the second place guy was further behind in triples than in walks. (36 - 26) / 26 = 38.5% above second place ... (232 - 170) / 170 = 36.4% above second place

And, games played ... the only way that's getting broken is if someone is traded like four or five times in a year or the schedule gets another hand full of games added to it.

I went for the .426 BA. To be able to safely hit a round ball with a round stick nearly 43% of the time over a whole season is astounding.

I almost went with this one, but then I thought, what if the pitchers today threw only fastballs like they did back in the day...would Tony Gwynn have batted .500 a few times?

I almost went with this one, but then I thought, what if the pitchers today threw only fastballs like they did back in the day...would Tony Gwynn have batted .500 a few times?

yeah ... fastballs, and spitballs, and scuff-balls, and grease balls, and ...

• 2 weeks later...
1905 Most arm surgeries performed in a single year..Dr Joe Simpson (Personal physician to Jack Chesbro)

I think that record belongs to Dr. Carl Stevens or Dr. Albert Jones.

Dr. Stevens was personal physician to Pud Galvin and Dr. Jones was the personal physician to Charles "Hoss" Radbourn.

Galvin threw for 593 innings in 1879 (18th most in any season), 656.1 innings in 1883 (5th most in any season) and 636.1 innings in 1884 (6th most in any season) ... totalling 6,003.1 innings pitched in 15 seasons putting him #2 all time (Cy Young got 7,354.2 innings, but it took him 22 seasons) ... It's worth noting that his first year, he only pitched in 8 games and 62 innings...so, subtracting that out, he threw 5943.1 innings in 14 seasons ... which included a streak of seven straight seasons with at least 445 innings pitched and 10 of 11 seasons with at least 434 innings pitched.

Radbourn threw for 632.1 innings in 1883 (7th moist all time) and 678.2 innings in 1884 (2nd most all time), throwing for 4535.1 innings in only 11 seasons ...

Note that their average season was for more than 400 innnings pitched. The last time that any pitcher threw for more than 400 innings in a single season was Ed Walsh (1908; 464.0 innings). The closest anyone has come to pitching 400 innings in a single season in the last 100 years was Wilbur Wood (who, IIRC was a knuckleballer) who threw 376.2 innings in 1972.

Also note that Jim McCormick threw 4275.2 innings in 10 seasons, the highest per season average for any pitcher with at least 10 years service (and the only person besides Galvin and Radbourn to average more than 400 innings per season over a career that spanned at least 10 seasons).

Edited by muck

• 2 weeks later...