[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Game predictions and Start/Bench

detlef

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DMD has Schaub going for 230 and 2 TDs, WW has him as a bench.

Tell you what, I would not be pissed if my QB got me 230 and 2 TDs.

What would be the point of a start/bench then if they were the same? Wouldnt you be smart enough to look at the game prediction/projections and know whether to start them or not? I use them both as a tool to look at different opinions from "experts" and get their input and any additional info.

What would be the point of a start/bench then if they were the same? Wouldnt you be smart enough to look at the game prediction/projections and know whether to start them or not? I use them both as a tool to look at different opinions from "experts" and get their input and any additional info.

I think his point is simply that they are completely different. One person says start... other says bench.... So what does that mean for us? Well, it means form your own opinion, and dont listen to their advice... So whatd be the point of coming here to get their opinions? Its just from one extreme to the other... Not very consistent...

I use them both as a tool to look at different opinions from "experts" and get their input and any additional info.

+1

If they disagree, that only means there is an element of doubt, which should play into your decision making.

It would be quite lame if DMD and Whit had all the same opinions.

I think his point is simply that they are completely different. One person says start... other says bench.... So what does that mean for us? Well, it means form your own opinion, and dont listen to their advice... So whatd be the point of coming here to get their opinions? Its just from one extreme to the other... Not very consistent...

It's called forming your own opinion based on the varying opinions that you've read. :D

Since the two pieces are done completely separate from each other, that it took five weeks into the season to see something that seems significantly different is more of a surprise it took so long than it is a lack of a cohesive message. We both obviously have our reasons for what we expect but in the instance where we do not agree, that too says something about the game/player. Obviously projecting numbers and predicting performances is an exact science anyway, so what would the value of having two independently created views be if they just always agreed with one another? I for one enjoy when we disagree because we can learn more how the season is evolving for teams.

Of course this happens at least occasionally every season and it always will because we do not consult one another about every game though we will sometimes discuss games and players when there are big questions. I think a difference of opinion is healthy and of value, not a mixed message.

We may discuss one game or so a week and this week was the CAR-NO game. Our discussions usually end with "thanks... I can't quit you."

+1

If they disagree, that only means there is an element of doubt, which should play into your decision making.

It would be quite lame if DMD and Whit had all the same opinions.

It's called forming your own opinion based on the varying opinions that you've read. :D

This is exactly how I look at the thing. I Read each, sift through what's offered, then formulate an opinion. :D

Just posted a thread a few hours ago similar to this on wr lance moore for saints

Prediction : 60 yards and td

Start bench list : his name is not even listed ...nothing

Certainly its expected to have some varying degrees of opinion and it could be healthy but when the opinions are day and night like the above example I don't think its good imho

We look to get advice and some direction at times and when instead we get complete confusion and total difference in opinion then I don't think it helps one bit ...just my 2 cents

Since the two pieces are done completely separate from each other, that it took five weeks into the season to see something that seems significantly different is more of a surprise it took so long than it is a lack of a cohesive message. We both obviously have our reasons for what we expect but in the instance where we do not agree, that too says something about the game/player. Obviously projecting numbers and predicting performances is an exact science anyway, so what would the value of having two independently created views be if they just always agreed with one another? I for one enjoy when we disagree because we can learn more how the season is evolving for teams.

Of course this happens at least occasionally every season and it always will because we do not consult one another about every game though we will sometimes discuss games and players when there are big questions. I think a difference of opinion is healthy and of value, not a mixed message.

We may discuss one game or so a week and this week was the CAR-NO game. Our discussions usually end with "thanks... I can't quit you."

With all due respect, this is just the first time I bothered to write about it, not the first time I noticed it. I'm also not pointing out a situation where you say the guy should put up solid numbers and WW is giving the guy an "S3" or even an "X", which would imply he'd just as soon as start someone else but wouldn't bother hitting the waiver wire if that guy was his only option.

I understand that, ultimately, I need to make my own decision based on the info and that you guys don't always share the same opinion. I too, can do the math and decide, assuming I agree with the projections, whether that means I should start or bench a player. So what's the point of Start/Bench?

It does, however, sort of undermine the utility of your pay-site to be selling advice that is diametrically opposite from one day to the next. That's all.

With all due respect, this is just the first time I bothered to write about it, not the first time I noticed it. I'm also not pointing out a situation where you say the guy should put up solid numbers and WW is giving the guy an "S3" or even an "X", which would imply he'd just as soon as start someone else but wouldn't bother hitting the waiver wire if that guy was his only option.

I understand that, ultimately, I need to make my own decision based on the info and that you guys don't always share the same opinion. I too, can do the math and decide, assuming I agree with the projections, whether that means I should start or bench a player. So what's the point of Start/Bench?

It does, however, sort of undermine the utility of your pay-site to be selling advice that is diametrically opposite from one day to the next. That's all.

Both pieces are just one man's opinion. Neither should be taken as gospel. I think most people absorb all the info they can from this site and other sources of information. So if DMD's opinion matches the start/bench that may reinforce your opinion and if they disagree then in those situations you have to think a little harder. But i think you can handle it.

I look at advice to see if they agree with me...

if neither agree with me, then I will maybe look deeper into my decision....if one agrees, then I consider the options and likely do what I feel...

if both agree...it's pretty much because the player is a stud anyways, so that player is an auto-start...

I just want to see another's opinion more than anything and to see if they agree with me....

they advice on this site isn't a guideline of who I am going to start and bench.....it's just an opinion....

the waiver-wire article is more-so geared to what you might want to consider....but it's really a reminder of who is out there and what I may have overlooked...

I've posted this many times before, and I'll post it again. Again, this is nothing more than how I have come to utilize these tools over the years.

The predictions are a measure of what the player is capable of doing, essentially taking out the elements of risk, varying game conditions, etc. In other words, al lelse being equal, through intense study and computations, DMD believes that player x should do this.

The Start/Bench list IMO is more of a risk factor that can be associated to the prediction. In the above mentioned case with Schaub, I'd say he is a risky start for 230 and 2. The risk is that HOU is playing one of the worst rushing defenses in the league, but a team that has given up very little in terms of yardage passing (though they have been giving up the scores). This makes for a very volatile situation. HOU is certainly capable of getting a lead and running on Miami, but, with Ahman possibly out, they may stick to the pass a bit more than other teams have rather than rely on Dayne.

Before the season starts do you not go and buy a book here or there, and also sign up for this site to get opinions about players. The point of this information is one to organize your ideas and thoughts. Second, is to make educated guesses about the information presented and come up with your own idea of what is going to happen in the coming year, or in this case the coming week.

If your first inclination was to start Schaub and you see 230 and 2TD and that is fine with you, go with your iintuition and start him. If your inclination was to bench him and you saw the projections for 230 and 2TD and then saw a bench I would go with my first thought and bench him. I for one like the differing opinions cause it they were the same and did everything they said what would the point of playing fantasy football. We are not robots.

Both pieces are just one man's opinion. Neither should be taken as gospel. I think most people absorb all the info they can from this site and other sources of information. So if DMD's opinion matches the start/bench that may reinforce your opinion and if they disagree then in those situations you have to think a little harder. But i think you can handle it.

Bingo. :D

Hehe Ive always used these for entertainment I already know who I should start and who I shouldn't. Just because someone puts down some projections does not mean they are correct/incorrect

If you don't know who to start/bench I would love for you to join one of my money leagues

Edited by MikesMarauders

Okay, so which one of you is smarter then?