[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just booked the honeymoon

The Irish Doggy

Instead of a whirlwind tour around the old country, we decided to focus on two targets. So, next May, Paris for 6 days and 5 nights. Then a private overnight sleeper train ride to Venice for 3.5 days and 3 nights.

I've been to Paris before, but she has not. Neither of us has been to Venice. We thought it might be too long in Venice, but I'm sure we'll find something to do. :D

Please share any good times/fun stuff you've done in either city. :D

outside of the standard must do's of venice...i really enjoyed finding hole in the wall wine bars.

paris: i like the simple things: cafes, parks, walking along the seine. prefer the orsay to most museums... there is a national war museum which i found pretty interesting.

outside of the standard must do's of venice...i really enjoyed finding hole in the wall wine bars.

paris: i like the simple things: cafes, parks, walking along the seine. prefer the orsay to most museums... there is a national war museum which i found pretty interesting.

Orsay is amazing...

Yeah, Orsay beats the Louvre every day IMO. That's the #1 thing I want to see again from my last trip.

Looking forward to l'Orangerie as it was closed for renovations last time I was there.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

Tips:

PARIS:

1) Get the 5-day all musuem pass and metro pass for Paris. Totally worth it - the best part is going to the side entrance of the Louvre and missing the 2 hour 'pyramids line' in the morning. Smile adn wave at the uninformed tourists standing in said line on your way in - they like it when you rub it in. Orsay and others are great after you've been to the Louvre 2-3 times, 2-3 hours at a time.

2) Get to Versailles first thing in the morning - also worth it. The wife and I rented bikes for the afternoon, after touring the main building, to get all around the property - that place is vast and impressive. Another thing - get a self-tour book, like Rick Steve's, to avoid the guided tours of the interior of the main palace. The wife and I managed to dash past the first big group, just before the hall of mirrors, and then had the place to ourselves at a leisurely pace. As long the book is detailed, you don't miss anything but the crowds.

3) Avoid the 'hot spots' as far as food and nightlife - we had a much better time dropping into little corner cafes and bars. Don't always get the best English, but we also enjoyed trying our horrible French. Funny thing about the French: when you try to speak it just a little, making conspicuous use of 'cie vou plais' and 'merci', they switch over to English to help you out. If you insist on being the loud English-only American, they just look at you and shrug, pretending not to understand. Nice trick...

4) Rent a car and get out to the Loire valley or the Normandy beaches for a day or two, if you can. Nice countryside and historical points of interest.

5) Church tours - self-guided, of course. Could not get enough of the art and history - some of the best sculpture and paintings are there and not in museums, as I'm sure you know. Stained glass is pretty impressive too..

VENICE:

6) If the weather is warm in May, be prepared for a damp, dank-type smell. Not horrible, but just be prepared. Also, don't get upset or surprised if you make a wrong turn and get lost more than once. They built it that way on purpose. Relax, breathe and realize it happens to everyone, and just meander and enjoy the scenery until you get back on your intended path.

7) Doge palace - if you like Titian and other great Italian painters. Plus tours of the Bridge of Tears, etc. Good stuff....

8) Ice cream (gelato) in St. Mark's Square in the evenings, with the various little orchestral groups serenading you. Romance at its best. Don't feed the pigeons unless you really like to be swarmed by ravenous birds - I have a Hitchcock-inspired distaste for that myself.

9) Do at least one early evening 'pub crawl' - for dinner and drinks. A little here and a little there, as opposed to a big sit down meal. Its the way the locals do it...

10) Murano glass factory tour - just be prepared to pay the $ to ship it back. That stuff is way too heavy to put in your suitcases...

HAVE FUN! Good call on the sleeper car too - waking up refreshed in your new city, ready for adventure, is one the great memories of our trip. (We did Paris to Rome that way.) I'm totally jealous....

9) Do at least one early evening 'pub crawl' - for dinner and drinks. A little here and a little there, as opposed to a big sit down meal. Its the way the locals do it...

cicchetterias....... very good.

all good advise

Tips:

PARIS:

1) Get the 5-day all musuem pass and metro pass for Paris. Totally worth it - the best part is going to the side entrance of the Louvre and missing the 2 hour 'pyramids line' in the morning. Smile adn wave at the uninformed tourists standing in said line on your way in - they like it when you rub it in. Orsay and others are great after you've been to the Louvre 2-3 times, 2-3 hours at a time.

2) Get to Versailles first thing in the morning - also worth it. The wife and I rented bikes for the afternoon, after touring the main building, to get all around the property - that place is vast and impressive. Another thing - get a self-tour book, like Rick Steve's, to avoid the guided tours of the interior of the main palace. The wife and I managed to dash past the first big group, just before the hall of mirrors, and then had the place to ourselves at a leisurely pace. As long the book is detailed, you don't miss anything but the crowds.

3) Avoid the 'hot spots' as far as food and nightlife - we had a much better time dropping into little corner cafes and bars. Don't always get the best English, but we also enjoyed trying our horrible French. Funny thing about the French: when you try to speak it just a little, making conspicuous use of 'cie vou plais' and 'merci', they switch over to English to help you out. If you insist on being the loud English-only American, they just look at you and shrug, pretending not to understand. Nice trick...

4) Rent a car and get out to the Loire valley or the Normandy beaches for a day or two, if you can. Nice countryside and historical points of interest.

5) Church tours - self-guided, of course. Could not get enough of the art and history - some of the best sculpture and paintings are there and not in museums, as I'm sure you know. Stained glass is pretty impressive too..

VENICE:

6) If the weather is warm in May, be prepared for a damp, dank-type smell. Not horrible, but just be prepared. Also, don't get upset or surprised if you make a wrong turn and get lost more than once. They built it that way on purpose. Relax, breathe and realize it happens to everyone, and just meander and enjoy the scenery until you get back on your intended path.

7) Doge palace - if you like Titian and other great Italian painters. Plus tours of the Bridge of Tears, etc. Good stuff....

8) Ice cream (gelato) in St. Mark's Square in the evenings, with the various little orchestral groups serenading you. Romance at its best. Don't feed the pigeons unless you really like to be swarmed by ravenous birds - I have a Hitchcock-inspired distaste for that myself.

10) Murano glass factory tour - just be prepared to pay the $ to ship it back. That stuff is way too heavy to put in your suitcases...

HAVE FUN! Good call on the sleeper car too - waking up refreshed in your new city, ready for adventure, is one the great memories of our trip. (We did Paris to Rome that way.) I'm totally jealous....

Thanks. Good stuff! :D