[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

New Jersey gets rid of death penalty

The Irish Doggy

have been a minority in my opinion ,on the board whenever threads came up on the death penalty , but I don't believe in the death penalty and dont beleive humans have the right to kill other humans ...dont believe we have the right to play God

So we shouldn't cure disease?

:stirring:

have been a minority in my opinion ,on the board whenever threads came up on the death penalty , but I don't believe in the death penalty and dont beleive humans have the right to kill other humans ...dont believe we have the right to play God

I agree, man does not have the right to play god and determines who lives and who dies. That is exactly why when someone does premeditated murder, they should forgo their right to be alive and let the state take care of that task. Otherwise you are saying that criminals do have the right to take the life of anothe person and for that, if they are caught, they are only given further benefits from society that now must sustain the life of the criminal until they die of old age or a prison shank. I am all for proportional punishment in this sense.

I agree, man does not have the right to play god and determines who lives and who dies. That is exactly why when someone does premeditated murder, they should forgo their right to be alive and let the state take care of that task. Otherwise you are saying that criminals do have the right to take the life of anothe person and for that, if they are caught, they are only given further benefits from society that now must sustain the life of the criminal until they die of old age or a prison shank. I am all for proportional punishment in this sense.

Okay. But would you willing to interfere with the state of New Jersey's right to makes it own call on the subject?

No i am not saying criminals have that right at all ..murder is murder ..premedidated murder is the worst kind ..but that is what prison is for imho

What if it actually costs more to process an execution than it would to just shelf em for life?

That is exactly why the criminal justice system will never do more than be an iron bar hotel and breeding ground for career criminals. Just think what you could to for an impoverished city block with the money spent on just one death row inmate who goes through appeal after appeal. What could education gain if we could direct money spent on every death row in the country to helping kids start out with a better life and improved schools?

Look, everyone dies eventually. All keeping convicted murderers alive on society's dime does is redistribute money away from positive uses and creates a industry around attorneys and prison guards in exchange for making people feel better about not killing someone who, in my opinion, has forfeited the right to live away.

But that's just me...

Okay. But would you willing to interfere with the state of New Jersey's right to makes it own call on the subject?

LOL!

I went to Robert E. Lee High School and you think I have a problem with states rights?

No i am not saying criminals have that right at all ..murder is murder ..premedidated murder is the worst kind ..but that is what prison is for imho

See, now I don't buy that all killing is murder. Killing an innocent person is murder, sure. But killing a person that is guilty of murder is not, it is merely completing the cycle that the person him/herself initiated. It is sort of like firing someone from a business. They did whatever was wrong enough to warrant dismissal. Should the company keep them on the payroll anyway?

Its a double edged sword unfortunately..Some people have an understandable moral issue with it. It may be a direct contradiction to your religion if you believe in the death penalty. Some people fear innocent people being put to death. Some people think of it from a financial point of view. Others think of what it would say about us as a society.

See, now I don't buy that all killing is murder. Killing an innocent person is murder, sure. But killing a person that is guilty of murder is not, it is merely completing the cycle that the person him/herself initiated. It is sort of like firing someone from a business. They did whatever was wrong enough to warrant dismissal. Should the company keep them on the payroll anyway?

lol ..completing the cycle ... i think thats just a way of trying to justify that killing a person on death row is not murder

in reality , it is because at the end of the day , you are taking a life willingly and knowlingly ...too much power imho

I don't know what you think, which is why I asked. Some death penalty advocates would like to see it mandated at a federal level.

It is a big world and a big country and different things work better in different places. I may feel differently if I lived somewhere where the laws run very contradictory to my own beliefs but that would be more on me for living somewhere that did not reflect my views. I don't have a problem at all with people who do are against the death penalty, I respect where they are coming from even if I disagree.

this makes no sense whatsoever. man does not have the right to play god and decide who lives and dies, so the state should? :wacko: incarceration is a "benefit"? :D if we don't assassinate criminals, we're saying you have a "right" to murder someone? :D