[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Worst BCS bowl season to date ?

theeohiostate

If the Rose didn't take Illinois no one would have that is correct. Arizona State would have gotten the nod to go somewhere, and we all know what a joke that would have been.

And the moral of that story is, rather than trying to fit the top 10, er I mean 12, er I mean 13 teams into a bunch of exhibitions why the frick can't we just have the top freaking 8 play it out!!!!! :D:D:wacko:

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i disagree with the notion that these are exhibitions. Some teams might get up for it more than others, but I don't buy that the teams that lose, never wanted to win. It goes back to the whole Kansas State argument back in 1998 when they fell all the way to the Alamo vs Purdue. Sorry, but I never got the feeling that Kansas State packed it in and wasn't trying in that game. I think it's sour grapes for the fans of the team that lose those games, to downplay it.

i disagree with the notion that these are exhibitions. Some teams might get up for it more than others, but I don't buy that the teams that lose, never wanted to win. It goes back to the whole Kansas State argument back in 1998 when they fell all the way to the Alamo vs Purdue. Sorry, but I never got the feeling that Kansas State packed it in and wasn't trying in that game. I think it's sour grapes for the fans of the team that lose those games, to downplay it.

Well, that was a bad choice of words. I agree with you there. I suppose my point is, like I've been saying since this crappy batch of BCS games was released is that it appears they had to stretch to even fill these damned games up. I mean, how is it that so many good games have come from the teams who were basically the crumbs that fell beneath the BCS and the BCS is 0-2 in terms of decent games with an Orange Bowl that will, for back to back years pair teams that nobody outside their fan base could give a crap about. If the right WVU team shows up, the Fiesta could be great, mind you. And then, the cherry on top is a NC game against a team that hasn't looked good against anyone playing a team that hasn't beaten anyone. Whoopdee-freaking-doo.

And then, the cherry on top is a NC game against a team that hasn't looked good against anyone playing a team that hasn't beaten anyone. Whoopdee-freaking-doo.

I agree with this statement fully, but I think it could be applied to just about any hand picked 2 teams in the country. USC, OU and Georgia included. So we're back to square one and this is what is left. No playoffs, so everyone feels disappointed.............aside of a few 100,000 fans of the school who wins the NC game.

Edited by theeohiostate

Brian one thing you may not realize since the Big 10 doesn't have a conference championship is that the two percieved best teams don't always make it to the confernce championship game. So just because a team plays and losses in the conference championship it's unfair to say they are the 2nd best team in that conference aka LSU last season and Georgia this season.

Sometimes you could possible have two of the best teams in the same divsion of that conference. So it's unfair to conclude a team is the 2nd best in that conference just because they played in the championship game. It also comes down to scheduling alot of times. Again LSU gets Florida every year while a team like Arkansas gets South Carolina every season. You also need to look at which teams get their biggest games at home. For LSU it's the odd years that best suits the Tigers since they get Florida and Auburn at home yet on the even years they have to play them on the road.

My point is that using the argument that the Big 10 is playing the 2nd best team from a conference shouldn't be just because they played in their conference championship.

I agree with this statement fully, but I think it could be applied to just about any hand picked 2 teams in the country. USC, OU and Georgia included. So we're back to square one and this is what is left. No playoffs, so everyone feels disappointed.............aside of a few 100,000 fans of the school who wins the NC game.

Well, I am on record as saying that OSU "deserves" to be there more than anyone else. And, yes, I don't think I would have felt any more satisfied with any other two teams out there. USC sure seems to be playing great football right now and they are, by a mile, the best team in college ball over the last 5 years. However, this little thing called, "all the games before the last few and after the previous 5 years also matter and they failed to take care of freaking Stanford. I mean, they may, in fact, be the best team in the country but they have a massive freaking blemish on their record.

So, this is not about singling out either OSU or LSU rather an indictment of a stupid freaking way of deciding who's best.

by a mile, the best team in college ball over the last 5 years.

USC has had a great stretch, but OSU has made it to the NC game 3 of the last 6 seasons . Won the Big 10 about every year and won 29 straight Big 10 games. Yes, Florida blew them up last year, but they had 2 nice BCS wins and a NC win the previous 4 years.

OSU and USC have to be called the best 2 teams on the 2000's.

USC has had a great stretch, but OSU has made it to the NC game 3 of the last 6 seasons . Won the Big 10 about every year and won 29 straight Big 10 games. Yes, Florida blew them up last year, but they had 2 nice BCS wins and a NC win the previous 4 years.

OSU and USC have to be called the best 2 teams on the 2000's.

not quite as impressive as it looks.....more of an indication of how soft the league has been more than anything.

I mean kind of indication when a team can come out of the Big 10 with 1 L, and people are still questioning whether they belong or not.

We shall see, but I would put them behind OU,USC and UGA......................

OSU has had a nice run- I give them that, and if they somehow win the NC this year- then they can be in the conversation- if not

they are the 2nd best teams of the this decade- and thus far it isn't close-

not quite as impressive as it looks.....more of an indication of how soft the league has been more than anything.

I mean kind of indication when a team can come out of the Big 10 with 1 L, and people are still questioning whether they belong or not.

We shall see, but I would put them behind OU,USC and UGA......................

OSU has had a nice run- I give them that, and if they somehow win the NC this year- then they can be in the conversation- if not

they are the 2nd best teams of the this decade- and thus far it isn't close-

Without question, USC has been the best team over the last 7 years.

I suppose calling the Big 10 soft, you'd have to call out the SEC as well ?

If not, then please explain the Big10 's 13-11 H2H record in bowl games since the BCS inception in 1998 .

Oh, wait............you can't.

To gereralize the Big 10 as weak, when the facts dispell these idocies from you, it becomes clear your clueless.

I suppose calling the Big 10 soft, you'd have to call out the SEC as well ?

If not, then please explain the Big10 's 13-11 H2H record in bowl games since the BCS inception in 1998 .

Oh, wait............you can't.

To gereralize the Big 10 as weak, when the facts dispell these idocies from you, it becomes clear your clueless.

listen up softy- the fact that OSU can go that long unbeaten is more of an indication of the league in decline more than anything IMO, sorry,

even USC dropped a game or two in Pac 10 play, and going undefeated in the SEC is damn near impossible.

If the Big 10 is so strong, why are college football analysts questioning whether OSU with 1L deserves to be there???? it should be a no brainer if it is such a tough league. You think anyone would question a 1L USC, 1L LSU or UGA or 1L Oklahoma - nope.

Do we really need to go over this again? :D Here, I'll make it easier for you midwesterners that obviously have several brain cells frozen due to the weather.

How would that PSU/TexAM matchup looked at Heinz Field? I trust it was in the 20's and probably snowing that day.

How would have the ILL/USC game looked at Soldier FIeld? Again, cold and snowy.

Michigan against Florida.... ooh, say this one was in a dome; Ford Field. Still, it's cold and snowy outside and who really wants to endure that when sunnier options are at your disposal and have been money-makers for years?

OSU vs. LSU in Cleveland or Cincy....?

..... you get the idea.

Again, Big Eleven Apologists, cry all you want about your poor wittle teams having to travel for their bowl games... but you have to be a complete and utter idiot to not realize that the bowl games are about MONEY and little else. The MONEY factor would be severely limited had these bowls been in cold-weather climates. Get a clue.

I was wondering if anyone would ever bring this obvious point up. Thank you Darin!

Brian one thing you may not realize since the Big 10 doesn't have a conference championship is that the two percieved best teams don't always make it to the confernce championship game. So just because a team plays and losses in the conference championship it's unfair to say they are the 2nd best team in that conference aka LSU last season and Georgia this season.

Sometimes you could possible have two of the best teams in the same divsion of that conference. So it's unfair to conclude a team is the 2nd best in that conference just because they played in the championship game. It also comes down to scheduling alot of times. Again LSU gets Florida every year while a team like Arkansas gets South Carolina every season. You also need to look at which teams get their biggest games at home. For LSU it's the odd years that best suits the Tigers since they get Florida and Auburn at home yet on the even years they have to play them on the road.

My point is that using the argument that the Big 10 is playing the 2nd best team from a conference shouldn't be just because they played in their conference championship.

Where did I say they were playing the 2nd best team? I believe I accurately stated that the Big Ten has been matched up with 3 of the 4 top SEC teams. If I were to rank the teams in the SEC... 1. LSU 2. Georgia 3. Florida 4. Tennessee

Does the Big Ten not play 3 of those 4 teams?

listen up softy- the fact that OSU can go that long unbeaten is more of an indication of the league in decline more than anything IMO, sorry,

even USC dropped a game or two in Pac 10 play, and going undefeated in the SEC is damn near impossible.

If the Big 10 is so strong, why are college football analysts questioning whether OSU with 1L deserves to be there???? it should be a no brainer if it is such a tough league. You think anyone would question a 1L USC, 1L LSU or UGA or 1L Oklahoma - nope.

Funny, were the same people saying this about the SEC when Florida went through the SEC like a hot knife through butter in the 90's? Ahh yes, should we compare conference records between Ohio State and USC? Since 2002 USC has won or shared the title every single year. Ohio State has won or shared the Big Ten title lets see 4 times... that's 6 conference titles for USC and 4 from Ohio State? Next.

I suppose we couldn't play in a dome

The game is not 100% of the reasoning behind not having bowl games in colder weather cities. Again, money is the determining factor here, and the last thing that the bowl bigwigs want is people coming to a city to have to contend with weather issues. It's not a difficult concept to grasp, man. Maybe you'll get it sooner or later. :D

Funny, were the same people saying this about the SEC when Florida went through the SEC like a hot knife through butter in the 90's? Ahh yes, should we compare conference records between Ohio State and USC? Since 2002 USC has won or shared the title every single year. Ohio State has won or shared the Big Ten title lets see 4 times... that's 6 conference titles for USC and 4 from Ohio State? Next.

Next? How 'bout the fact that the only game USC has lost OOC in the last few years was one of the greatest college FB games of all time vs Texas in the NC game despite the fact that USC seems to be the only major school to actually schedule decent teams OOC. Last year, they faced BCS bound ND as well as Nebraska and Arkansas, both of whom played for their conference titles. Now, that may not be a murder's row but compared to the crap that everyone else lines up (note OSU's schedule this year)...

Well, there's that and the fact that, with the exception of that last minute loss to Texas, they've absolutely gutted everyone they've played in BCS bowls in the last 5 years and, unlike OSU have never, themselves been gutted in such a game.

The game is not 100% of the reasoning behind not having bowl games in colder weather cities. Again, money is the determining factor here, and the last thing that the bowl bigwigs want is people coming to a city to have to contend with weather issues. It's not a difficult concept to grasp, man. Maybe you'll get it sooner or later. :D

Oh, I get it. But the reasoning for it, doesn't have to be accepted.

IMO, there is no reason to continually allow homefield games for Pac10 ,Big12 and SEC teams, while the Big 10 gets nothing. Why couldn't the powers that be set up a game here or there in the North in a Dome?

Most people in the south have never even touched snow before, you don't think they'd like to get away to a beautiful snow resort?

IMO, there is no reason to continually allow homefield games for Pac10 ,Big12 and SEC teams, while the Big 10 gets nothing. Why couldn't the powers that be set up a game here or there in the North in a Dome?

Most people in the south have never even touched snow before, you don't think they'd like to get away to a beautiful snow resort?

LOL - show me a "beautiful snow resort" in Big 10 country and I'll pack up the wife and kid and head there tomorrow.

Unless its in Colorado, Utah, or British Columbia, the term "beautiful snow resort" doesn't apply.

:D Motor City Bowl :D

LOL - show me a "beautiful snow resort" in Big 10 country and I'll pack up the wife and kid and head there tomorrow.

Unless its in Colorado, Utah, or British Columbia, the term "beautiful snow resort" doesn't apply.

Killington's or Seven Springs....................It's not Big 10 contry but they aren't too bad. Killingtons is really nice, imo.

We have Perfect North and MadRiver Mountain, but those are bunny hill and take less then 20 seconds at full speed to get down.

Next? How 'bout the fact that the only game USC has lost OOC in the last few years was one of the greatest college FB games of all time vs Texas in the NC game despite the fact that USC seems to be the only major school to actually schedule decent teams OOC. Last year, they faced BCS bound ND as well as Nebraska and Arkansas, both of whom played for their conference titles. Now, that may not be a murder's row but compared to the crap that everyone else lines up (note OSU's schedule this year)...

Well, there's that and the fact that, with the exception of that last minute loss to Texas, they've absolutely gutted everyone they've played in BCS bowls in the last 5 years and, unlike OSU have never, themselves been gutted in such a game.

I like the way detlef thinks. And yes, for the last 6 years overall USC is the clear #1 and OSU a close #2, IF they win the NC in convincing fashion. If they lose or barely win, its a distant #2. And that's not just my opinion, its pretty much a fact.

If LSU wins by a lot, they could challenge OSU for that #2 spot. But that would be a matter of opinion...

I like the way detlef thinks. And yes, for the last 6 years overall USC is the clear #1 and OSU a close #2, IF they win the NC in convincing fashion. If they lose or barely win, its a distant #2. And that's not just my opinion, its pretty much a fact.

If LSU wins by a lot, they could challenge OSU for that #2 spot. But that would be a matter of opinion...

So who do you have as your top 5 programs on this decade?

Mine are

1.USC

2.OSU

3.OU

4.LSU

5.Texas/Florida tie

Edited by theeohiostate