[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Worst BCS bowl season to date ?

theeohiostate

Really the only game i remember where a big name southern school travelled North for a November regular season game was 1993 when Florida State traveled to South Bend. Since then, and before then i't pretty rare that teams play each other, much less if they do it'll be in september. A little off topic here, but why is it that in the years that USC and Notre Dame play, when it's in South Bend, it's played in October, and when it's in Los Angeles it's played in Late November? I never quite understood that.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe because people in Indiana want to go to LA in the winter as much as people in LA don't want to go north then?

I understand there's domed stadiums in the north. I understand there's cool things to do in northern cities. Hell, all things being equal, I'd way rather go to Chicago than freaking Tampa. However, one typically doesn't plan a vacation to Chicago in January. It just doesn't make sense. Great, so the game itself could be indoors in many of those places. As a fan, I'm still not dropping a bunch of jack on a plane ticket, hotels, etc. to go to a Midwestern city during the worst time of year to go there.

Nobody is bringing up the possibility that perhaps many midwestern fans use the fact that their teams are playing in FL, AZ, TX, LA as an excuse to get the hell out of dodge and enjoy the weather. That many of the fans of those teams actually prefer the fact that their team has earned them a trip to a warmer clime.

Once again, I watched the Outback bowl and I'll be damned if there weren't a ton of people there wearing Badger colors, so, to a degree, I think this is being blown up.

Certainly playing LSU in NO or USC in LA is a pretty hard to miss in terms of home field advantage, I will certainly give you that. Certainly there are other examples as well. Forgive me, however, for tiring of this woe is us trip that keeps getting laid.

Once again, I watched the Outback bowl and I'll be damned if there weren't a ton of people there wearing Badger colors, so, to a degree, I think this is being blown up.

It was about 70%-30% in favor of Tennessee. Wisconsin usually travels better then this, but they didn't this year. If you were watching the game, when the went to the blimp view, you could see the the distinct Orange vs Red difference and it was 75-25 split, so i factor in at best another 5% of Wisconsin fans scattered throughout.

It was about 70%-30% in favor of Tennessee. Wisconsin usually travels better then this, but they didn't this year. If you were watching the game, when the went to the blimp view, you could see the the distinct Orange vs Red difference and it was 75-25 split, so i factor in at best another 5% of Wisconsin fans scattered throughout.

Considering that you're also of the opinion that Wisky destroyed UT in that game, forgive me if I hold out for another opinion.

Certainly playing LSU in NO or USC in LA is a pretty hard to miss in terms of home field advantage, I will certainly give you that. Certainly there are other examples as well. Forgive me, however, for tiring of this woe is us trip that keeps getting laid.

No one is saying "woe is me”. We are only pointing this fact out in defense of you SEC nuts bashing the Big 10. If you factor in the SEC overall depth and the home field crowds, yes it makes perfect sense the SEC fares better then the Big 10. But as the last 10 years of records shows, the Big 10 has done quite well considering those circumstances. The best teams of the Big 10 are just as good of those in the SEC, there may not be as many in the Big 10 but take the top 3 or 4 from each conference and you find parody. The bottom 1/2 is another story. So while anyone with any common sense can see the SEC is deeper, they must also concede at the top, there is little difference.

With the Big 10 currently 14-12 H2H against the SEC over the last 10 seasons, imagine 99% of those games in our backyards, as such has been the case for the SEC to date. I find that the record speaks for itself when comparing the 2 conferences. Even in a down year for the Big 10, which is the take on homers and others as well, we are holding our own this bowl season. Nothing crazy good, but if you note the level of H2H competition we've faced, then you have to admit we aren't as down as any of us had thought. Our matchups have been FAR tougher than any other bowl slate for the Big 5 conferences, in addition, we are playing all of these games in areas where are opponents are not only familiar but have the resounding home field crowd advantage.

Edited by theeohiostate

Same thing that happens if its a blizzard here and we cant get out of the state down there?

Yes, but don't you realize that I, like most of my SEC bretheren care only about ourselves and how situations impact us? I don't want to be cold. And honestly, you don't want us driving on snow and ice.

No one is saying "woe is me" . We are only pointing this fact out in defense of you SEC nuts bashing the Big 10. If you factor in the SEC overall depth and the homefield crowds, yes it makes perfect sense the SEC fares better then the Big 10. But as the last 10 years of records shows, the Big 10 has done quite well considering those circumstances. The best teams of the Big 10 are just as good of those in the SEC, there may not be as many in the Big 10, but take the top 3 or 4 from each conference and you find parody. The bottom 1/2 is another story. So while anyone with any common sense can see the SEC is deeper, they must also concede at the top, there is little difference.

With the Big 10 currently 14-12 H2H against the SEC over the last 10 seasons, imagine 99% of those games in our backyards , as such has been the case for the SEC to date. I find that the record speaks for itself when comparing the 2 conferences. Even in a down year for the Big 10, which is the take on homers and others as well, we are holding our own this bowl season. Nothing crazy good, but if you note the level of H2H competition we've faced, then you have to admit we aren't as down as any of us had thought. Our matchups have been FAR tougher then any other bowl slate for the Big 5 conferences, in addition, we are playing all of these games in areas where are opponents are not only familar but have the resounding homefield crowd advantage.

I'll make you a deal. You either cease starting threads where you make the first 5 posts in a deranged circle jerk or quit referring to any other fans as "nuts" and I'll take what you say seriously. In the meantime, I'll defer to BrianW as the spokesman for the Big 10 here. Every once in a while, your opinions tend to merge with his, but until I'm shown otherwise, I'll assume that's a fluke. That's really a shame because the above post is laden with good points.

As I have said before, I am not an over the barrel SEC guy. I'm from PAC-10 country and don't even like USC because I'm from Northern CA. Liking USC for me would be the same as liking Michigan for you. None the less, I'm not blind and have to take my hat off to them. On this board, I probably sound like a fan of theirs but that's simply because I find myself, for some unexplainable reason, having to defend their record against "nuts" who wouldn't know a fact if it smacked them in the head.

Above all, I am a fan of the game. After that, I'm a fan of my adopted Vols due to the fact that some of my best friends went to school there and I just sort of got caught up in the excitement. None the less, I'm realistic about that team and call things as I see them. I'm a fan of a middle of the pack SEC team that seems sort of stuck in neutral and can't get out of it's own way. From what I've seen, the SEC has looked better during the time I've been posting here. I'm not alone in that opinion. From what I've seen, the Big 10 has been riding on reputation and needs to step up either by playing and beating stronger teams OOC or having it's elite teams show up in January. Unlike the Big 10, the teams that the SEC has sent to the biggest stages haven't been completely and totally outclassed over the last few years the way Mich, OSU, and Ill have.

It's been two years now that they've gotten the benefit of the doubt and they're one loss on Monday away of showing how little they deserved it. Last year, much of the country was prepared to assume the two best teams in the country were from the Big 10 despite the fact that neither had proven itself outside the Big 10. What happened? They both got completely rolled. None the less, OSU was, again, given the benefit of the doubt despite playing a laughable OOC schedule. So far, it's not looking great since a team that beat them at home just got punked. If OSU doesn't step up, I'm going to have a really, really hard time taking that conference at all seriously until they show me something. And having 2nd tier teams hold serve against 2nd tier teams from the SEC is not going to do it.

BTW: I've even gone on record as giving it up to the Big 10 for holding serve against the SEC in head to head bowl games.

Edited by detlef

After that, I'm a fan of my adopted Vols due to the fact that some of my best friends went to school there and I just sort of got caught up in the excitement. None the less,

Now I can really see your resentment for the Big 10. Is it because Peyton Manning didn't get the Heisman due to Big 10 bias? :D

Now I can really see your resentment for the Big 10. Is it because Peyton Manning didn't get the Heisman due to Big 10 bias? :D

There's plenty of challenges in my post for you to rise to. Be a sport and don't sidestep them. I don't "resent" the Big 10. I'm just waiting to see something from them. Is that too much to ask? I've been going around with you guys for about two years now. Can you point to one major thing they've done during that time to shut me up? I mean, besides Michigan giving FL it's 4th loss? Besides Wisky and PSU eeking out wins vs. 2nd tier SEC teams last January? I mean, is that it?

Considering that you're also of the opinion that Wisky destroyed UT in that game, forgive me if I hold out for another opinion.

Some say stats are for losers. So here are the stats for the losers from Wisconsin. Sorry for the bunching of numbers.

Bottom line is that Tennessee outgained the Badgers from Wisconsin by nearly an entire football field.

Team Stats

TN WI

First Downs 18 16

Third Down Efficiency 9-18 6-15

Fourth Down Efficiency 1-1 0-1

Plays-Net Yards 72-431 66-347

Rushes-Yds 29-66 41-192

Passing Yds 365 155

Kick Return Yds 50 103

Punt Return Yds 26 21

Passes 25-43-0 14-25-1

Punts 7-295 6-268

Fumbles-Lost 2-1 1-1

Penalties-Yds 5-60 2-10

Time of Poss. 27:30 32:30

There's plenty of challenges in my post for you to rise to. Be a sport and don't sidestep them. I don't "resent" the Big 10. I'm just waiting to see something from them. Is that too much to ask? I've been going around with you guys for about two years now. Can you point to one major thing they've done during that time to shut me up? I mean, besides Michigan giving FL it's 4th loss? Besides Wisky and PSU eeking out wins vs. 2nd tier SEC teams last January? I mean, is that it?

Sorry, but as soon as i read you were a Tenn fan, I had to stop there and consider the source of your frustrations with the Big 10 :D

Keep in mind, it's an invitation. If you don't want to come to our bowls, dont. :D

Not sure any part of the country owns the rights to bowl games.

AND

Really your idea is not half bad.

Less travel and expense for the Midwest and Northeren schools.

Create new Bowls and invite Mid West schools and Northern/Eastern schools at those locations and even outdoor sites for teams already able to play in cold weather, there is just endless possibilities.

The winners of the Southern Bowls/Western Bowls top rated team and the winner of the Northern/Midwestern Bowls play a game after all the Bowls.(neutral site of course.) or at least alternate each season location of sites.

A true National Championship and less expense making it affordable for all fans to go to Bowl Games.

Would be like a March Madness. This has been kind of suggested already with a playoff format(higher rated team gets home field) so on and so on.

I think this would be a great way to allow all fans to enjoy bowl games and enjoy bowl enviroment. I can tell you it runs about 3,000.00 to go to the National Championship through a travel agent. I have a feeling it's a lot less for the southern and west coast fans in general especially if the bowl is 1 hour to 4 hours away from your campus. :D

I think that could work.

I think this would be a great way to allow all fans to enjoy bowl games and enjoy bowl enviroment. I can tell you it runs about 3,000.00 to go to the National Championship through a travel agent. I have a feeling it's a lot less for the southern and west coast fans in general especially if the bowl is 1 hour to 4 hours away from your campus. :D

I think that could work.

True dat !

I'm already trying to make plans for 2008 in Miami..................not that OSU will get to the game, but making flight arrangements and hotel accomodations this early saves HUGE dollars, let only tickets. Now if the Bucks don't make it to Miami, i simply change flight plans and sell the tickets for a profit and go the whichever bowl game we end up at, either way it's big savings doing it now.

In 2002, I was able to get 50 yard line tickets in the 5th row..............GREAT SEATS..............I bought them 3 weeks before seasons end and paid $1200 per ticket, by the time the game rolled around those seats were over $3000 per ticket. This season, I kept pushing it off and could have gotten great seats for $1500 per ticket, but after OSU was announced to go, thost same tickets skyrocketed to double that cost. I am sick ! ! Now having to settle for high altitude of endzone tickets for the same amount :D

yes, ohio - you are sick. Or wealthy and/or with no kids, either way...

You can get them CHEAP now...............these are reservation costs if your team makes it. Then you get the tickets a FACE value !

USC is going for $145 per ticket and if they make the NC game, you get the tickets for face value, not a bad gamble , imo.

http://www.ticketreserve.com/eventMarketpl...13091E700009438

Edited by theeohiostate

You can get them CHEAP now...............these are reservation costs if your team makes it. Then you get the tickets a FACE value !

USC is going for $145 per ticket and if they make the NC game, you get the tickets for face value, not a bad gamble , imo.

http://www.ticketreserve.com/eventMarketpl...13091E700009438

I just purchased 6 tickets for USC to make it to Miami @ $143/ticket. Now if USC doesn't make it, I'm screwed, but have the option to sell them at any point in the season. I bought USC as I see them marching to the NC Game uncontested next year, and if the Bucks don't end up going, I can sell the seats and pay for bowl tickets to the OSU game somewhere. It's a gamble, but with bowl ticket pricing, this is a decent option.

Edited by theeohiostate

In 2005 a buddy of mine got Texas tickets for $100 each off this site and they ended up selling for $1000 each towards years end. He sold his seat rights and made out pretty damn good. This year OSU was going for $82 at beginning of the season, I wish to heck I had taken the gamble then :D

Not sure any part of the country owns the rights to bowl games.

Pretty sure they do. There is a reason why they are called Sugar (LA), Rose (CA), Cotton (N Texas), and Orange (FL).

Now it's America so no one is stopping anyone from starting a bowl aka Motor City (Michigan), Hawaii Bowl, the one in Boise.

This whole thing is very interesting - when do you find out exactly where the seats are? I mean, that would affect the value, no? And if I want to think about it for a bit, when does the price start to rise - after the spring polls are released, (ridiculous!) or early August, or...when?

This whole thing is very interesting - when do you find out exactly where the seats are? I mean, that would affect the value, no? And if I want to think about it for a bit, when does the price start to rise - after the spring polls are released, (ridiculous!) or early August, or...when?

I'd imagine the price increases when the preseason rankings are released, although teams like USC won't rise too much at first, as they are already very high now based on the outcome of the game. Usually seating sections and rows aren't release until later in the year, many times only weeks before the bowl game itself.

I'd imagine the winner of the OSU-USC game to start the season, will lead the way as far as pricing goes. I picked USC, as I don't see the Bucks handling USC at home, this is money, not pride and if I'm to gamble this early on, I have to go with USC. OSU plays them well and runs the remaining schedule and it'd make a great rematch on neutral filed.................for the first time, neutral field :D

Edited by theeohiostate

In 2005 a buddy of mine got Texas tickets for $100 each off this site and they ended up selling for $1000 each towards years end. He sold his seat rights and made out pretty damn good. This year OSU was going for $82 at beginning of the season, I wish to heck I had taken the gamble then :D

According to the Columbus Dispatch front page tickets to the game is a pretty hot.

Average Ticket price for Stub Hub(national ticket broker) 1,394.00

Most expensive ticket: 4,300.00 sold to a buyer from Georgia for 45 yard line seats.

Buyer from Florida bought a a suite on the 50 yard line for 87,500.

Buyers from 40 states 37% from Louisiana, 13% from Ohio, 12%from Texas and 4% from Georgia.

Average ticket prices for other Bowls.

Rose $309.00

Sugar $238.00

Fiesta $ 161.00

Orange$138.00

I would say you would have made a good investment "theohiostate".

According to the Columbus Dispatch front page tickets to the game is a pretty hot.

Average Ticket price for Stub Hub(national ticket broker) 1,394.00

Most expensive ticket: 4,300.00 sold to a buyer from Georgia for 45 yard line seats.

Buyer from Florida bought a a suite on the 50 yard line for 87,500.

Buyers from 40 states 37% from Louisiana, 13% from Ohio, 12%from Texas and 4% from Georgia.

Average ticket prices for other Bowls.

Rose $309.00

Sugar $238.00

Fiesta $ 161.00

Orange$138.00

I would say you would have made a good investment "theohiostate".

It's only a good investment is USC makes it to the NC game, otherwise i forfeit my money. It's a gamble, but I like my chances, and I have the opportunity to trade or sell my rights any point in the season, so if the BUCKS hang the Trojans early on, i may wait until USC is like 6-1 then try to move them for OSU rights.