[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Romney to quit race?

polksalet

I wonder how this would have played out if it were just between Romney and McCain (without Huckabee in the picture)? Oh well... that's just a hypothetical. Still it would have been interesting to see it that way.

I don't think that Huckabee stole many votes away from Romney. A large sect of Huckabee's supporters are Evangelicals, who tend to not like/trust Mormons or people who publicly supported abortion at one point.

I think that we'll be looking at a McCain/Huckabee ticket later this year.

I don't think that Huckabee stole many votes away from Romney. A large sect of Huckabee's supporters are Evangelicals, who tend to not like/trust Mormons or people who publicly supported abortion at one point.

That will certainly make my decision in November much less difficult. :wacko:

Does McCain really want a guy on the ticket that said this:

The United States Constitution never uses the word "God" or makes mention of any religion, drawing its sole authority from "We the People." However, Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee thinks it's time to put an end to that.

"I have opponents in this race who do not want to change the Constitution," Huckabee told a Michigan audience on Monday. "But I believe it's a lot easier to change the Constitution than it would be to change the word of the living god. And that's what we need to do -- to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards rather than try to change God's standards so it lines up with some contemporary view."

I wonder how this would have played out if it were just between Romney and McCain (without Huckabee in the picture)? Oh well... that's just a hypothetical. Still it would have been interesting to see it that way.

exit polls of huckabee supporters taken on super tuesday indicate a fairly even split with a slight edge to mccain.

Does McCain really want a guy on the ticket that said this:

The United States Constitution never uses the word "God" or makes mention of any religion, drawing its sole authority from "We the People." However, Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee thinks it's time to put an end to that.

"I have opponents in this race who do not want to change the Constitution," Huckabee told a Michigan audience on Monday. "But I believe it's a lot easier to change the Constitution than it would be to change the word of the living god. And that's what we need to do -- to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards rather than try to change God's standards so it lines up with some contemporary view."

I'm not sure what Huckabee means by "amending the Constitution so it's in God's standards." Sounds more like empty rhetoric than a plan.

Given that Huckabee will help McCain get a ton of Evangelical support in the South and that our current President served two terms while pushing an anti-gay Ammendment, I don't see how Huckabee's comments will hurt McCain much. They don't seem to have hurt Huckabee.

If I was McCain, I'd beg Romney to be my running mate over Huckabee - what a disaster.....

none of the above. the conservative media elites (that is fun to say :wacko:) hate huckabee as much as mccain. it would get them a little traction with bible-beaters, but there really is very little advantage to putting huckabee on the ticket. i think mccain hates romney, and in any case, there are far better non-flip-flopping "conservatives" out there if mollifying the republican base is his priority.

i guess it is conceivable that mac wants romney as his veep and that he offered him the slot to get out of the race now. i just think it is very unlikely.

I'm not sure what Huckabee means by "amending the Constitution so it's in God's standards." Sounds more like empty rhetoric than a plan.

Given that Huckabee will help McCain get a ton of Evangelical support in the South and that our current President served two terms while pushing an anti-gay Ammendment, I don't see how Huckabee's comments will hurt McCain much. They don't seem to have hurt Huckabee.

They may help with the base, but they will turn off alot of independents who may go McCain's way, especially if Hillary is the nominee.

I don't know what he meant by it either. Seems rather vague. As a guy who happens to support Huckabee, I more think he meant that Gods words are written in stone. He wants to attempt to get the language of the constitution more stone like and interpreted less. Maybe I botched what I was trying to say....but I hardly think he was promoting making the ten commandments part of the constitution.

It could by Crist as VP for McCain, helping deliver Florida (who is probably already peaved at the Dems).

+1...that is what I think. McCain needs Florida or the Dems win the White House. They also need Ohio, and I don't think Huckabee has broad appeal on a McCain ticket in Ohio.

I don't know what he meant by it either. Seems rather vague. As a guy who happens to support Huckabee, I more think he meant that Gods words are written in stone. He wants to attempt to get the language of the constitution more stone like and interpreted less. Maybe I botched what I was trying to say....but I hardly think he was promoting making the ten commandments part of the constitution.

If I had to guess what he meant, he was referring to abortion, gay marriage, etc. IE, legislating morality.

I thought he was speaking to his base as he often does. I didn't see it as a plan of action.

He also said this without explaining what he meant.

"And we've also seen that "The Widow's Might" has more effectiveness than all the gold in the world." His base knows what he meant.