[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Musicians and Podcasters

CarryTheRock

I'm on a budget...very little budget. I'm looking at digital recorders for recording music and I'm looking at getting into podcasting as well. What do you guys use? I was looking at some freeware for recording this morning...of course the price is right. Thought I would get some opinions from you guys.

I'm on a budget...very little budget. I'm looking at digital recorders for recording music and I'm looking at getting into podcasting as well. What do you guys use? I was looking at some freeware for recording this morning...of course the price is right. Thought I would get some opinions from you guys.

You'll love this. It's called Audacity and it's free. I'm currently using the beta and it it pretty stable. It is a complete pro package built by the open source crowd.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

There are some nifty effects available with this platform but you might want to consider these as well. Warning, there are a ton of them (also free).

http://www.download.com/Audacity-LADSPA-pl...4-10607999.html

There are some tutorials and discussions concering creating podcasts scattered throughout the Audacity forums and the Wiki so spend some time looking around. Just a couple of quick recommendations that I have:

1. Get yourself the very latest drivers for your sound card

2. Get yourself a cheap mixer. Make sure that it has balanced inputs. This is a 3 pin connector not a single jack. You may be able to pick up a used one for under $50. Even something from Radio Shack is OK.

3. Spring the money for a Shure SM58 microphone. It is the workhorse of vocal recording.

4. Get a floor mic stand. You get a lot of bad reflections from a table top.

5. Try and make your room as sound friendly as possible. Rugs, lots of irregular surfaces, funky angles, basically you want to remove any reverb from the room.

If you have any questions, let me know, I'll answer what I can. Recording (and more importantly , mixing) is way more of an art form than it is a science.

Edited by Kid Cid