[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bed times on school nights

Missoula Griz

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My kid is still pretty young - 7 months. He probably naps about 3 times a day - 9-10:30, 1-3, 5-6:30 then konks out around 8:30 and sleeps until 7 or so.

At what age do these naps start phasing out?

You'll want to get him down to 2 naps pretty soon. Then at about 18 months or so maybe down to 1 nap. My 3 year old just stopped taking naps alltogether. Every kid is different of course, but at 7 months I'd seriously consider getting him on a 2 nap a day schedule, he's old enough now. They key to all of this is being as ridgid as possible with the schedule. Infants and toddlers need schedules and structure. Obviously in today's world it's easier said than done.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

You'll want to get him down to 2 naps pretty soon. Then at about 18 months or so maybe down to 1 nap. My 3 year old just stopped taking naps alltogether. Every kid is different of course, but at 7 months I'd seriously consider getting him on a 2 nap a day schedule, he's old enough now. They key to all of this is being as ridgid as possible with the schedule. Infants and toddlers need schedules and structure. Obviously in today's world it's easier said than done.

:wacko:

My 6 year old daughter rarely makes it past 8:00 during the week and will usually stand up and announce she is going to bed when she is tired. Our 8 year old son would stay up as long as he can, but is in bed by 9:00. We can usually tell when he is ready for bed and tell him when it is time.

When my kids were younger, bedtime was always 8:00. However, both I and their mom worked full time, and it was kind of a bummer sometimes because we didn't feel like we got to spend any time with the kids. We would get them up in the morning, spend 1 to 1 1/2 hours getting ready, then out the door to daycare or school. Then when we picked them up from daycare, it would be about 4:30 to 5:00 pm and then we would only have 3 hours with them.

8:00 gradually seemed to morph into 9:00 as one story turned into four. :-)

But as somebody here mentioned, kids like a schedule for things like this. They know what is expected of them, and keeping to a (fairly) strict bedtime will hopefully teach them useful skills like organization and time management.

10th and 11th Graders around 11:30-12

4 year old won't go to bed 1/2 the time until we do, but we do our damnedest to try to get him out by 10...............which is a nightmare to attempt.

Nanny 911 ..................HELP !

:raisesfist: We shall overcome

10th grade daughter ... general guideline is 9:00. Not hard and fast any more - we figure she is a big girl and can learn to manage her schedule. If she starts to struggle getting up in the morning then we intervene.

7th grade son ... 8:30. Unlike my daughter is not yet ready to manage his schedule and he needs a full 10+ hours of sleep.

I don't think I've gone to bed at 9:00 on a regular basis since maybe middle school. Not saying it's a bad thing, just I'm one of those people that fall asleep at 12 and wake up at 5 and do perfectly fine during the day.

Son ??

We are firm believers in a set schedule/routine. I have never understood parents who don't have bed times for their children.

+1

3 yr old : in bed 7:30

7 yr old: 8:00

12 yr old: 9:00 (here recently having to start giving her 30 minutes reading time/quiet time INSTEAD of watching TV from 8:30-9:00 )

I remember when they were ALL in bed by 8:00....and there was more time for ...uhhh...ya know. :wacko::D

I don't think I've gone to bed at 9:00 on a regular basis since maybe middle school. Not saying it's a bad thing, just I'm one of those people that fall asleep at 12 and wake up at 5 and do perfectly fine during the day.

Why the hell would you wake up at 5am? Man that sounds terrible, especially for a high schooler.

My kids? Lets say I'm in Whomp territory but not quite as bad. That said my daughter is asleep right now and I'll put the boys (7&9) to bed about 9pm but they most likely won't fall asleep until around 10pm.

Why the hell would you wake up at 5am? Man that sounds terrible, especially for a high schooler.

My kids? Lets say I'm in Whomp territory but not quite as bad. That said my daughter is asleep right now and I'll put the boys (7&9) to bed about 9pm but they most likely won't fall asleep until around 10pm.

I go to bed at 12 and wake up at 6. My son and wife go to bed at 9. They're both up at 8.

Kids DO need consistency, but rigid consistency teaches them the wrong things, IMO. Obviously you need to know your specifice child and his/her needs. I do agree that in general, kids do thrive better with a routine that sets up certain expectations of them. This is true not only of bedtime but in all things.

Most kids need more sleep than adults obviously, however just like with adults, how much sleep your child needs varies fairly widely.

Once a baby is over around a year old, I would discourage naps of more than an hour or two. They need a reasonably finite amount of sleep per day, however you dole it out is up to you. If you want them to learn to sleep at night, then don't let them rest TOO much during the day.

:sniff: I miss having little kids. Life was so much easier then. :D

FWIW, my 9 year old starts to head up to bed around 8:30 and gets up at 7. My 12 year old heads up before 9 but has to get up around 5:15 (school starts at 7:15 and his bus ride is nearly 1 hour). Now mind you, both of them read in bed when they go up, sometimes for a very long time. As long as they stay in bed, I figure they'll fall asleep when they need to. My 12 year old usually conks out in about a half hour these days. My 9 year old is having some difficulty getting to sleep some nights and has been known to be up reading until 11 or so. :wacko: This is pretty unusual, though.

My 9 year old is having some difficulty getting to sleep some nights and has been known to be up reading until 11 or so. :wacko: This is pretty unusual, though.

Sounds like me growing up. My older sister went to be after me and was asleep before me. My mom gave up after many years of fighting and agreed as long as I was in my room, I was ok.

twin boys 5 years old, they are in bed at 8.. one is easy Connor, has CP and eats threw a G tube so he is very tired and is easy to get to bed.. Liam used to be the easiest to bed but now he is the hardest, likes to get up and talk with dady and momy but if this one doest get enough sleep he is the BEAST...

kailen is the oldest and he is almost 8... he stayes up till 830 or 9 depending on how well he is behaving... reads a lot in bed so he usually doesn't go to sleep until 930'sh or 10....