[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bed times on school nights

Missoula Griz

My little one is like old school Eddie George. She gets stronger with more carries as the games go on.

:D

It's a parent's job to put their child to bed. It's the child's job to fall asleep.

So what do you do when they follow you back out. :moon:

daughter is almost 2. we just converted her crib to a bed 2 weeks ago. she takes about a 2 hr nap around noon-1. we try to get here down around 7:30-8p. she gets up once at night and we bring her in with us and she sleeps until about 6:30-8a. she has always had difficulty getting to sleep in her crib. she is doing very well in her bed and we are able to get her back down in her bed in the middle of the night...only rarely now do we bring her in. every once in a while she would be a little wired and couldn't sleep unitl about 9-10....

My twins are almost two as well (not too far off from yours, IIRC). My boy gets up at 5, but my girl "sleeps in" until about 6ish. My 7 year old will usually go to sleep about 9:30, but is tough to get up in the morning. Even when we made her go to bed earlier (went as early as 8 last year) she still didnt get up in a great mood. I don't know if shes just not a morning person or what. :wacko: Now my 3 year old is where I have my problems. Unless she has had a really tough day, she could pass for a Whompette. There have been times where I have fallen asleep on the couch and wake up midnight or later and she would still be up playing. I have tried to really tighten the reins the past few months, but it usually only makes her fight me more. Mind you, this is the child that acts almost 100% like I did when I was little. :D

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, we had a crib for my boy and he used it all of 6 months until he broke the whole gate part right off. After that, with our daughter, we never even used a crib. It was right into the bottom bunk. Neither of them have fallen out of bed.

How do you guys feel about your kids sleeping with you? Almost every night my kids will sneak out of bed and into mine. I dont really mind and never make them go back to thiers but I was wondering if there are any arguments why they shouldnt be allowed.

Despite you having rolled your eyes at my sentimental wish to return to the preschooler days, I'll answer this.

We partially family bedded with each of our children when they were very small. With our first, he always had a really hard time with sleeping and so forth, so we were really all about what worked. For him, that meant we had a queen sized mattress on his floor and he slept on that almost from the get go. If/when he woke in the night, we'd take turns being the one to go sleep in his room with him. He was really done with it by the time he was 2. At the time, he converted his crib to a toddler bed and he loved using it. I think us visiting him in his room made a difference, since we never had to break him of the habit of sleeping in with us. It was pretty easy for us to break our habit. :wacko:

With my second, he was a terrific sleeper but I was nursing. So as an infant, I had him sleeping in with me pretty exclusively for about 6 months. We called him the heat seeking missile. He'd start out in the middle between us and end up tucked in under my arm. He nursed in the night, I slept. It was a beautiful thing. After about 6 months when he started getting big, we used the old bed on the floor trick once again. I'd nurse him to sleep and then leave him there until he woke. Worked terrific. Again, he was used to his room. He wanted the bed time cuddle longer than the first did, but I never needed to stay in with him for more than about 10-15 minutes max and then he'd sleep through the night.

I totally disagree that the kids will want to stay with you until they're 12 -- unless they sense that they're fulfilling your need for closeness. If you watch for the signs and cues that they're ready for more independence and give it to them, they'll take it. YMMV

Let's see....2 year old gets bath at 730 or so and then we put him to bed. usually by 830 he's out. sometimes he takes a little bit longer but he's lying down not playing or anything.

9th grader has a 9:00pm bedtime on school nights. stretches to 930 on the two nights she has volleyball practice.

11th grader has a 9:30 bedtime and he's usually back there around then. If he asks, we would give him to 10 but he struggles in the mornings.

None of my kids ever had a bedtime later then 10pm.

We have a strict policy that 15 minutes prior to their bedtime they have to turn off the tv, computer, playstation, et cetera.

They seem to lose interest in staying up once that happens.

Son ??

Father :wacko:

Why the hell would you wake up at 5am? Man that sounds terrible, especially for a high schooler.

My kids? Lets say I'm in Whomp territory but not quite as bad. That said my daughter is asleep right now and I'll put the boys (7&9) to bed about 9pm but they most likely won't fall asleep until around 10pm.

Yea, it's cause of sports. I go on morning runs at around 6:00 and i have practice after school from 3:30 - 6:00. I guess it also doesn't help that Naperville schools are tied for the longest school days and school year in the nation, but I actually like that.

2 year old: 8:00, sleeps until 7:30AM, naps from 1:00-3:00 daily

4 year old: 8:30, sleeps until 8:00AM, no naps

6 year old: 8:30, sleeps until 7:00AM

8 year old: 9:00, sleeps until 7:00AM

we've always been very strict with bedtime, and it has paid off in spades....never an issue with any of them in terms of demanding extra awake time. With four kids, its actually easier to be strict, since they all have to follow the rules. I would guess its easier to "give-in" sometimes with just one or two kids, since you aren't upsetting the apple cart for the whole family. If we were lax with the rules with four kids, the inmates would be running the asylum for sure.

You know, we had a crib for my boy and he used it all of 6 months until he broke the whole gate part right off. After that, with our daughter, we never even used a crib. It was right into the bottom bunk. Neither of them have fallen out of bed.

How do you guys feel about your kids sleeping with you? Almost every night my kids will sneak out of bed and into mine. I dont really mind and never make them go back to thiers but I was wondering if there are any arguments why they shouldnt be allowed.

My son is 17 and we had a family bed when he was younger, he was 7 or 8 before he would sleep in his own bed. With my 2.5 y/o daughter I told my wife there was no way she was going to sleep in our bed, we put her in her own room when she was 4 weeks old and she has been there since. :wacko:

• 1 month later...

3 yr old girl: start the process around 8pm, fights going to sleep until about 9:15pm lately. Have to wake her up about 6am for daycare. She likes to wake up early on the weekends lately...5:30am. Last couple of nights she decides to wake up at 12:15 and 3:30 as well. :wacko:

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe