[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Billy Packer is a blowhard

billay

It's bad enought that Billy Packer has been the preeminant college basketball colorman for the last oh, 25 years. He gets more opinionated and more bitter every year. I don;t understand , if the guy thinks he know so much about baksetball, he should put down the mike and take up coaching. He is the worst kind of armchair quarterback. Last night, at the end of the Miami - Dook game, Miami is up 2 points and shooting free throws with 1.8 seconds left. They hit the first to go up 3 points and Packer says "They should consider missing this free throw so Duke doesn't get a chance to set up." Are you serious Billy? Forget the fact that if Miami takes a 4 point lead, the game is over. It would be better to leave the game in question so you can set up your defense? Guess what. Miami hits the free throw, up four, then Nelson nails the shot from halfcourt. Miami won by 1. What a great call that would have been Billy. You moran.

ETA: Mike Patrick and Jay Bilas did the UNC - NC State game last night and I thought they were excellent. Despite the fact that he's a Dookie, I always enjoy listening to Bilas and find him to be an excellent commentator.

Edited by billay

It's bad enought that Billy Packer has been the preeminant college basketball colorman for the last oh, 25 years. He gets more opinionated and more bitter every year. I don;t understand , if the guy thinks he know so much about baksetball, he should put down the mike and take up coaching. He is the worst kind of armchair quarterback. Last night, at the end of the Miami - Dook game, Miami is up 2 points and shooting free throws with 1.8 seconds left. They hit the first to go up 3 points and Packer says "They should consider missing this free throw so Duke doesn't get a chance to set up." Are you serious Billy? Forget the fact that if Miami takes a 4 point lead, the game is over. It would be better to leave the game in question so you can set up your defense? Guess what. Miami hits the free throw, up four, then Nelson nails the shot from halfcourt. Miami won by 1. What a great call that would have been Billy. You moran.

ETA: Mike Patrick and Jay Bilas did the UNC - NC State game last night and I thought they were excellent. Despite the fact that he's a Dookie, I always enjoy listening to Bilas and find him to be an excellent commentator.

well, with all due respect, i sort of see his point...its not a ridiculous point....but probably not the smartest option....if miami misses the 2nd ft...dukes is not getting a shot from half court...and being on the road...the clock guy will probably start that thing prematurley anyway and the thing will be over the second the ball is rebounded....we saw duke get a w in va tech with a half court shot last year....and i think they way they kinda rallied late....its better to not let them try to get lucky...even though a 4 point play with 1.8 is damn near impossible

Edited by forever in debt to mo lewis

werd- I am with you, he is a joke. - he makes comments damn near every game that are completely off the mark and flat out wrong. He should have been put out to pasture long ago- he and Nantz together make me want to puke listening to them. I would take pretty much any ESPN crew over them.

Bilas is great- and you know.......even though he is a Dookie- he is an LA guy, and he is firmly on the UCLA bandwagon and thinks they are the best team in the country

well, with all due respect, i sort of see his point...its not a ridiculous point....but probably not the smartest option....if miami misses the 2nd ft...dukes is not getting a shot from half court...and being on the road...the clock guy will probably start that thing prematurley anyway and the thing will be over the second the ball is rebounded....we saw duke get a w in va tech with a half court shot last year....and i think they way they kinda rallied late....its better to not let them try to get lucky...even though a 4 point play with 1.8 is damn near impossible

Point 1(and you had no way of knowing this) They guy on the line is the ACC's leading free throw shooter.

Point 2 Any shot inside 1.8 seconds is going to be a longshot. There's nothing that says that a shot after a rebound is going to be any better or worse that a shot from an inbounded ball. However, with a 4 point lead, the absolute worst case scenario is a tie. You miss the free throw and Duke hits that shot, you are going to overtime, and if the shooter is fouled, he's got a freethrow to win the game. How can trying to stretch the lead to 4 be the wrong move in any scenario?

Point 1(and you had no way of knowing this) They guy on the line is the ACC's leading free throw shooter.

Point 2 Any shot inside 1.8 seconds is going to be a longshot. There's nothing that says that a shot after a rebound is going to be any better or worse that a shot from an inbounded ball. However, with a 4 point lead, the absolute worst case scenario is a tie. You miss the free throw and Duke hits that shot, you are going to overtime, and if the shooter is fouled, he's got a freethrow to win the game. How can trying to stretch the lead to 4 be the wrong move in any scenario?

well yer right technically...i mean there is nothing written in stone that says an inbounded ball will be a better shot than a rebounded ball under the other teams basket...but common sense would tell you that you have a better chance at a better shot with an inbounded ball...i mean...yer a dukie...you should know this

id like to see that scenario where a guy grabs a board under the other teams basket on the road with 1.8, 10,000 times, and see how many times they actually convert a full length shot....sometimes these kids will get caught up in the moment and make a bonehead mistakes

im not saying packer is right...and you are wrong....its a different frame of thinking

i guess id compare billy to hbo boxing anyalyst larry merchant...hes a little long in the tooth...and there are alot of boxing fans that dont like him and thought hbo should have dumped him long ago...while others like him...hes an institution

Edited by forever in debt to mo lewis

well yer right technically...i mean there is nothing written in stone that says an inbounded ball will be a better shot than a rebounded ball under the other teams basket...but common sense would tell you that you have a better chance at a better shot with an inbounded ball...i mean...yer a dukie...you should know this

id like to see that scenario where a guy grabs a board under the other teams basket on the road with 1.8, 10,000 times, and see how many times they actually convert a full length shot....sometimes these kids will get caught up in the moment and make a bonehead mistakes

im not saying packer is right...and you are wrong....its a different frame of thinking

In 1.8 seconds, there's time to get the rebound, make a pass to halfcourt, and take a shot.

And I'm no Dookie. I just lost a bet :wacko:

GO HEELS!

In 1.8 seconds, there's time to get the rebound, make a pass to halfcourt, and take a shot.

And I'm no Dookie. I just lost a bet :wacko:

GO HEELS!

ehhh...on the road? we all know how those home clock guys are no? i mean the chances are that thing is gettin started prematurely anyway.....i dont think youve got time to get that ball to half court and get a shot off

What does that have to do with anything being discussed here?

:wacko: Billy Packer made a comment about your beloved Dookies and you're now calling him a blowhard after he's been a big-conference honk for who-knows-how-long. I'm not saying I agree with this specific comment but the guy has been a hugh big conference apologist for years, and ONE anti-Dook comment and the guy's a blowhard? Sounds like a little bit of sour grapes to me. :D

:wacko: Billy Packer made a comment about your beloved Dookies and you're now calling him a blowhard after he's been a big-conference honk for who-knows-how-long. I'm not saying I agree with this specific comment but the guy has been a hugh big conference apologist for years, and ONE anti-Dook comment and the guy's a blowhard? Sounds like a little bit of sour grapes to me. :D

Dude, pay attention. I'm a UNC alumni and Fan. I hate Dook. If you want to know why I'm wearing this avy, just look up a few posts.

It was a stupid call by packer, regardless of who was playing.

billays an NC fan....he lost a bet...u must have not read that part

my point is this....the home clock guy will be anticipating the touch of the ball....theres no way yer getting the ball to half court and getting a shot....at home? with the generous clock start.?..yeah maybe.....so basically on the road yer looking at a guy grabbing a board and wildly throwing a full court shot.....i mean...im not saying its definitley the best scenario....but i can see packers line of thinking

Dude, pay attention. I'm a UNC alumni and Fan. I hate Dook. If you want to know why I'm wearing this avy, just look up a few posts.

It was a stupid call by packer, regardless of who was playing.

Eh, I need to read more apparently. :D My bad. And for the record I won't disagree that Packer is getting curmudgeonly in his older age. But I will stand by my statement that the ACC isn't what it used to be. :moon: Your Heels are tough (tougher w/ Lawson, that's for sure) but Dook'll get bounced in the first or second round come March. :D

And as for the call, maybe he had a flashback to Laettner vs. Kentucky. Old age will do that to you. :wacko:

my point is this....the home clock guy will be anticipating the touch of the ball....theres no way yer getting the ball to half court and getting a shot....at home? with the generous clock start.?..yeah maybe.....so basically on the road yer looking at a guy grabbing a board and wildly throwing a full court shot.....i mean...im not saying its definitley the best scenario....but i can see packers line of thinking

You give him more credit than I care to. My point is a 4 point lead makes it all irrelevant.

I remember a few years ago Packer was furious that St. Joe's got a #1 seed in the tournament even though they were ranked the #1 team in the country at the time. His argument was that no small school in a small conference should be a #1 seed or something like that. Basically if you are not in the ACC, Big East, etc. you are not worth his time.