[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

First golf outing of the season

AtomicCEO

I had to cancel golf last weekend because my wife was sick. So, last night a buddy and I decided that we would get out today (supposed to be 70 degrees today... snow tomorrow).

We had no tee time, so we went to one of our favorite courses at the crack of dawn in hopes that they could sneak out a twosome for nine. With a day like this, every course was going to be booked solid. So we show up at 6:45, only to learn that the course's first tee time of the day is 8:30. Whoops. The pro shop wasn't even open until 7:30. They agreed to let us out on the back 9 at 8am. Cool dudes.

So, first hole... first swing of the year... ok, lets call that a mulligan. These things happen. After the mulligan I still pulled in a double bogey. Yikes. Could be a long season.

But then everything clicked, and I finished up 9 holes at a full 8 strokes under my average.... Now that's impressive to me.

Went par, par, par, par, bird on the middle holes. Crushing my new Cleveland Launcher and only one 3 putt on the day (par 3, and the pin was missing when we got to the tee. I was 50 feet out on my first putt... I blame rowdy teens).

I'm looking forward to this season. This could be the year I stop being a 100 stroke golfer. I've been stuck there for far too long. It's time to take it to the next level.

I had to cancel golf last weekend because my wife was sick. So, last night a buddy and I decided that we would get out today (supposed to be 70 degrees today... snow tomorrow).

We had no tee time, so we went to one of our favorite courses at the crack of dawn in hopes that they could sneak out a twosome for nine. With a day like this, every course was going to be booked solid. So we show up at 6:45, only to learn that the course's first tee time of the day is 8:30. Whoops. The pro shop wasn't even open until 7:30. They agreed to let us out on the back 9 at 8am. Cool dudes.

So, first hole... first swing of the year... ok, lets call that a mulligan. These things happen. After the mulligan I still pulled in a double bogey. Yikes. Could be a long season.

But then everything clicked, and I finished up 9 holes at a full 8 strokes under my average.... Now that's impressive to me.

Went par, par, par, par, bird on the middle holes. Crushing my new Cleveland Launcher and only one 3 putt on the day (par 3, and the pin was missing when we got to the tee. I was 50 feet out on my first putt... I blame rowdy teens).

I'm looking forward to this season. This could be the year I stop being a 100 stroke golfer. I've been stuck there for far too long. It's time to take it to the next level.

You played 5 holes in one under par. :wacko: You shot like a 42 then for the nine....considering you had a double...prolly a couple other doubles...and a bogey? Either way...great start.

Edited by TheShiznit

You played 5 holes in one under par. :wacko: You shot like a 42 then for the nine....considering you had a double...prolly a couple other doubles...and a bogey? Either way...great start.

Yep. that's my game.

I doubled a short par 3 after the bird by bouncing a 9 iron off the cart path next to the green. Next bounce was on a road into suburbia, and I lost the ball after the 8th bounce 3 times further from the green than I was. :D I'd call that a lost ball. Took my penalty and got in with the next 3 shots.

Yep. that's my game.

I doubled a short par 3 after the bird by bouncing a 9 iron off the cart path next to the green. Next bounce was on a road into suburbia, and I lost the ball after the 8th bounce 3 times further from the green than I was. :wacko: I'd call that a lost ball. Took my penalty and got in with the next 3 shots.

So, technically, you can claim 6 straight holes at 1 under par. Not too shabby. Golf is a very picky game. I have been playing for years...not so much anymore since I took up racquetball....and once, about ten years ago, was a three handicap. i found the game to be no fun then. Everything was about low numbers and I was 24...maybe that had something to do with it. But every year, my first time out I shoot like 75 to 81 for 18...then jump to 87 88 for the rest of my 5 rounds for the year. You lose your touch if you don't play much.

Guest Chappy

Good stuff AC. I just can't get into the game of golf at this point. I've done the 100 yard pitch and putt courses and they can be fun but to full out golf, it's not for me as of yet. Have fun and enjoy the good weather when you can this early on.

So, technically, you can claim 6 straight holes at 1 under par. Not too shabby.

Meh... I'm the guy that hit the ball onto the cart path. I try not to give myself any strokes, and I usually don't take mulligans. (First swing of the year where you top a 7 iron into a pond doesn't count apparently)

That which is measured, improves. That's what my boss says.

Hopefully the same doesn't happen for you, but generally, for whatever reason, one of my best rounds of the season is usually my first one - after not picking up a club for months. Then I suck for a awhile, then start hitting them good again mid-season, then generally kind of suck again into my last few rounds of the year.

We're still probably a good month away from being able to play here - maybe 2. I'm envious as hell that you're even playing - much less playing decent.

Went par, par, par, par, bird on the middle holes.

You must really implode on a couple holes not to break a 100 with holes like that. Keep that up and you'll easily break 100 and your scores will no longer look like the high end of a radio dial :wacko:

Yep. that's my game.

I doubled a short par 3 after the bird by bouncing a 9 iron off the cart path next to the green. Next bounce was on a road into suburbia, and I lost the ball after the 8th bounce 3 times further from the green than I was. :D I'd call that a lost ball. Took my penalty and got in with the next 3 shots.

PBFU Post Birdie Fu()ck up.

I had two services today, otherwise I may have gone to the driving range. They won't let us on the course hear until the end of the month. 60 here today and snow tonight, so same forcast. :wacko: Heres to the first real taste of spring.

I won't get out until this Friday when we head to South Carolina for a five day golf-a-thon. I am so dying to hit some balls but even my driving range has gone whacko and opened up as a ski zone for tubers or something like that.

I did just get back from the golf show that is here in Pittsburgh right now but I didn't buy myself anything. I did buy my boy a Cleveland HiBore fairway wood that I got for $89 as I hit the lucky spin of the wheel and got $50 off. :wacko:

What course did you play? Played The Broadlands in Broomfield yesterday and had a great time

That's a nice course.

We went to Eagle Trace in Broomfield. For some reason when all the other courses are booked, they usually still have openings. I don't know why... the course is well maintained and a good degree of difficulty. I prefer to play Heritage, Indian Peaks, Coal Creek... and I live right near the Omni Interlocken, but that really has to be a special occasion at it's price.

Yep. Now there is a blizzard. Several inches, and it's still pounding the house.

Golf season was short this time.

Atomic, I just picked up a set of Nickent Hybred irons. No 3 or 4 irons, the set starts at a 5 iron. There a 3 nd 4 fairway woods though. Plus the 5 iron has the same loft as a normal 3 iron and the set runs through a 10 iron. My game is much more stable through the irons now, I could never hit a 3 iron to save my life and the 4 iron was only used to punch the ball out from under trees. You may wnat to give something like this a consideration, they've certainly given my game a boost.

Atomic, I just picked up a set of Nickent Hybred irons. No 3 or 4 irons, the set starts at a 5 iron. There a 3 nd 4 fairway woods though. Plus the 5 iron has the same loft as a normal 3 iron and the set runs through a 10 iron. My game is much more stable through the irons now, I could never hit a 3 iron to save my life and the 4 iron was only used to punch the ball out from under trees. You may wnat to give something like this a consideration, they've certainly given my game a boost.

"It is a poor workman who quarrels with his tools." - Leviticus 12:4

"It is a poor workman who quarrels with his tools." - Leviticus 12:4

OK, I'll give you that. However, that does not mean that all tools are created equal.

OK, I'll give you that. However, that does not mean that all tools are created equal.

True. I have no complaints about my clubs. Judging by my good run... it is possible to hit them well. I actually like all of the clubs in my bag right now.

"I don't believe in utility clubs, I just believe in me" - John 8:12

Atomic's Tip for those very few golfers worse than me

This year I'm focused on improving my putting, and so here's what I'm doing. I got it from another hacker, so if you know what you're doing, please disregard this:

Line up your putt with the club face, then look at the ball and never look back at the hole again. When you swing, all you're thinking about is a smooth stroke with the clubface square, and speed. Follow through completely, staring at the spot the ball was. Trust me, you are not going to lose your ball.

Total hacker tip, but it's improved my putting by 100%. You're never going to change your line once the club is moving, and you shouldn't change it once you are addressing the ball. The fewer things you think about (square and speed), the more likely you are to do it right.

That's a nice course.

We went to Eagle Trace in Broomfield. For some reason when all the other courses are booked, they usually still have openings. I don't know why... the course is well maintained and a good degree of difficulty. I prefer to play Heritage, Indian Peaks, Coal Creek... and I live right near the Omni Interlocken, but that really has to be a special occasion at it's price.

I enjoyed playing at Coal Creek. I remember that the rough was treacherous.

Atomic - that really is not a bad tip about the putter at all. I also very much struggle with the putter and always have. I have tried many different things but I can three putt from six feet any time so I take no putt for granted.

I have tried a few things last year that have really seemed to help me turn a corner with the putter but a few of them are really just going to fit me so I will share two more things that might help you a little.

1. When you get ready to putt and get everything lined up the way you want with your line picked, try to find a spot about a foot in front of your ball that is in your line. Putt at that spot not at the hole. That is much like keeping your head down like you pointed out but that reference point being out there just about a foot really helps. At least it helps me.

2. If you are lag putting don't get so hung up on trying to hit the hole. Try to put it in the three foot barrel that circles the hole. I am not sure if this is just mental of what for me but that approach seems to relax me and I seem to snug a lot of those long putts right up there by the hole. In fact, I am at the point that I would almost rather have a 30 footer then and 8 footer.

Two small tips but tips that I really believe are helping me.