[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Whining Canadians????

Hugh 0ne

If I missed this topic somewhere, I apologize, but did you guys hear the Canucks whining and crying about the officiating? Believe me, I dislike the Wings as much as anyone, but I'll be rooting for them against the Canucks from here on out after that crap. What a homo. Who does he think he is? Wayne Gretzky? I'm tired of whining Canadians and Canadian clubs. Are all Canadians whiners? Does this have something to do with that whole Raptors-Pistons anthem booing thing?

mad.gifmad.gif F'N inferior, whining, unimportant Canadians. mad.gifmad.gif

Originally posted by crispirons:

how about that hit last night by mclaren on zednick. oh man, was that viscious. mclaren said it was a flying elbow. i hate when that happens to me when i'm golfing. but it usually means i spray a shot right, not nearly decapitate somebody.

Totally uncalled for.

I was watching that game. It was vicious, but McLaren was skating backwards toward Zednick and turned just as Zednick arrived. I'm sure he meant to hit him, but that was a bit much.

On the other hand, Zednick clearly started to move on his own, reaching up to feel his nose before he crumpled back down on the ice. I think it was a bit of gamesmanship by the Canadiens the way they acted as though his neck was broken. The Canadiens's coach was seen to be threatening Guerin and Thornton on the bench. Tune in Sunday at 1pm for the remake of Slapshot.

Originally posted by Czarina:

I was watching that game. It was vicious, but McLaren was skating backwards toward Zednick and turned just as Zednick arrived. I'm sure he meant to hit him, but that was a bit much.

On the other hand, Zednick clearly started to move on his own, reaching up to feel his nose before he crumpled back down on the ice. I think it was a bit of gamesmanship by the Canadiens the way they acted as though his neck was broken. The Canadiens's coach was seen to be threatening Guerin and Thornton on the bench. Tune in Sunday at 1pm for the remake of Slapshot.

Haven't you ever tried to get up and then realized "oh f*ck, this real hurts"?

Zednik has a broken nose and broken jaw and slammed his head pretty good against the ice, I doubt there was much "gamesmanship" going on there. I'm sure they just used the stretcher as a precaution.

Also, Zednik scored two goals that night, McLaren takes him out, intentionally or otherwise, now Zednick may be out for the remainder of the playoffs and all Boston will lose is McLaren for 10 games. That doesn't seem like a fair trade off to me on Montreal's end of things.

They were treating him as though his neck was broken, is what I'm saying. Now it's entirely possible that he did pass out afterwards, but he appeared to be talking to the first trainer that came out onto the ice. Couple minutes later, they tied his skates and his hands together and isolated him. Now, did he pass out or become incommunicative? It's possible. But isolating his head the way they did probably indicated to the crowd that his neck was broken.

I hope your fishing Czarina.

Neck injuries are very delicate. Stablizing the area is always a mandatory precaution, because of the damage that can be done if someone is improperly moved and has neck trauma. The "gamemanship" comment is absurd, but I guess you're a Bruins homer. Zednick got f'n cleaned, and your suggesting he faked it??? They stabilized his neck for the crowd??? Khloe, Kim and Kourtney Kardashian???

Alright I admit it, I can't stand the Canadiens, never could.

But it was very clear when it happened and in countless replays that the man was moving under his own power. He moved his hands. I don't think they thought his neck was broken, is what I'm saying.

That's what was confusing to me. I saw him move. He felt up to his face like he was checking for blood, etc. Then the trainer comes out and then he's apparently unconcsious.

Despite the fact I hate the Canadiens, I hate to see somebody get seriously injured in the course of a game. A broken nose and a broken cheekbone is no picnic. McLaren will very likely get a suspension out of it, and he probably deserves it.

[ 04-26-2002: Message edited by: Czarina ]

McLaren will very likely get a suspension out of it, and he probably deserves it.

There is no probably about it. Even if he didn't specifically mean to maime him it's McLaren's responsibility to have control of himself and his stick on the ice. Reguardless of whether or not he hasn't been known previously for any dirty hits is irrelevant. The Canadiens will be without a leading scorer probably for the remainder of the playoffs.

Originally posted by BratDaddy:

Totally uncalled for.

Maybe Zednik should keep his head up when he skates across the ice.

I'm not defending McLaren, but if he had kept his elbow down, he STILL would have flattened Zednik. Stupid move on McLaren's part, and it made what could have been a great, clean hit into a cheap shot.

And Czarina's dead on about the Slap Shot remake; according to this, Therrien has pretty much said that there's going to be "retaliation" in the next game. rolleyes.gif

And I'll go on record as a Bruins backer, that it was a very schizophrenic moment - when Zednik got leveled, I was jumping up and down on the couch with excitement; but when I saw he was perhaps seriously injured and that McLaren took a cheap shot instead of a clean hit, I was going "ah, sh*t, now I can't feel happy about it anymore."

But it was so perfect - guy skating across the ice and not looking just gets tattooed; I love that stuff (for a GOOD example, see Stevens/Lindros).

Michel Therrien beats his chest on ESPN.com:

Zednik was taken off the ice on a stretcher. Fights ensued and an irate Montreal coach Michel Therrien threatened retaliation against the Bruins' top players in Game 5 on Saturday in Boston.

"If they try to go after our best players, if that's part of (Boston coach Robbie) Ftorek's strategy, we have no choice -- we'll go after theirs," said Therrien, red-faced with anger after the game.

When asked if his threat will only escalate the violence, Therrien said: "I don't care. This is what they did and this is what we're going to do."

Guest Azazello13

On the other hand, Zednick clearly started to move on his own, reaching up to feel his nose before he crumpled back down on the ice. I think it was a bit of gamesmanship by the Canadiens the way they acted as though his neck was broken.

yeah, what a Rosie O'Donnell. he only had a severe concussion, was knocked unconscious, broken jaw, broken nose, bruised larynx. what a bunch of posuers to treat it like it was some kind of serious injury. rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by Chavez:

Michel Therrien beats his chest on ESPN.com:

Great, more whining f'n Canadians. mad.gif

Listen, emotion is part of the game. So are cheap shots and fighting and injuries. The Habs are in a great position, tied 2-2 with the heavily favored Bruins. If they turn this into a street brawl and let their emotions get the best of them, it will cost them with penalties and they'll lose the series. What better way to get back at Boston than to beat them?