[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Should the US suspend the Gas Tax?

MikesVikes

As Sens. John McCain and Hillary Rodham Clinton pressed Thursday for suspension of the federal gasoline tax, economists, environmentalists and others roundly denounced the plan as a political stunt that would favor the oil industry rather than consumers.

Economists are "as close to unanimous as you can get" in viewing the proposal as a "horrible idea," said Joseph J. Doyle Jr., a Massachusetts Institute of Technology economist who has studied gas tax "holidays."

link

Kudos to Obama. After struggling to keep his campaign on the right track after his minister has almost single handedly derailed it, he still doesn't take the easy way out on this issue. Vote for me now, pay later says Clinton and McCain.

Edited by MikesVikes

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People can pave their own roads and build their own bridges.

I'd be for all roads being toll roads as well, as long as there was some kind of universal tag where we didn't have to stop at booths all the time.

This would be the worst thing ever done. Our roads and bridges are in bad enough shape, taking money away from this would only make things worse. The cost of asphalt and concrete are rising right alone with everything else, so that road is going to also cost more to replace.

This would be the worst thing ever done. Our roads and bridges are in bad enough shape, taking money away from this would only make things worse. The cost of asphalt and concrete are rising right alone with everything else, so that road is going to also cost more to replace.

Yep. :wacko:

retarded pandering with no basis in economic reality. This would not help individuals or the country.

Supply and demand would mean that gas prices would probably rise to cover the decrease in tax.

With the federal defecit the way it is, pissing away 27 billion dollars of guaranteed income is stupid.

This would actually benefit the people who waste gas more than the people who conserve it.

This is why Hillary is not an attractive candidate to me. She will do whatever makes her the most popular in any given second without any thought of what it will mean next year. Kinda like the Iraq war. Oooh... mob mentality... better vote for this war! Nyuk Nyuk!

No. We should suspend the subsidies for the oil companies instead.

Not tax them but eliminate many of their tax breaks.

Has anyone ever pandered as much as Hillary? Next she's going to driving a big rig while holding a shotgun and drinking a beer. :wacko:

How many states is she from now?

Illinois

New York

Pennsylvania

Arkansas

Edited by Randall

Why not raise the road & privilege tax on auto tags to generate funds for roads? That way consumers would see a daily decrease in gas prices by allowing them to lower or do away with gas taxes & the money for roads would still be there.

Edited by rajncajn

No. We should suspend the subsidies for the oil companies instead.

Not tax them but eliminate many of their tax breaks.

That would be nice, but I would guess it would only cause them to raise gas prices more to make up the difference.

While I could sure use some financial help right now, this doesn't seem like a very good plan. If gas taxes are too high, then simply lower them... permanently. Think of how ticked off everyone would be once those same taxes kick in again after the Summer is over, and we have a huge jump in gas prices again.

Maybe we should stop spending our gas taxes on boondoggle light rail social engineering programs and actually use the funds to fix/expand our roads and bridges?

"Oil executives have already said they don’t need the tax breaks. In testimony before a joint hearing of the Senate Committees on Commerce, Science and Transportation and Energy and Natural Resources on Nov. 9, 2005, Oregon Sen. Ron Wyden asked executives from these same five oil companies:

“President [bush] said, and I quote: ‘With $55 oil, we do not need incentives to oil and gas companies to explore. There are plenty of incentives.’ Now, today the price of oil is above $55 per barrel [at the time, $59.65 to be exact]. Is the President wrong when he says we do not need incentives for oil and gas exploration? "

There is a lot of drilling on public land as well. What royalties are they paying for all this oil?

Since its inception, the Bush administration has been determined to give the energy industry the rights to drill for oil and gas in as many of America's public lands as it can, including our most beautiful, remote and sensitive lands. Now that the administration's end is in sight, federal officials across the West are redoubling their efforts to lease these areas for oil and gas development and to approve permits to drill them, virtually guaranteeing the industrialization of millions of acres of previously wild and open land. Already, almost 26 million acres of these lands have been leased and tens of thousands of wells have been drilled.

The difference between $3.30 gas and $3.50 gas to me is under $5/month.

Would this relief of 18 cents per gallon make any noticeable difference in your life, even if gas prices didn't go up to cover the difference?

No. Not at all.

It might not be a very popular opinion, but gas doesn't cost enough as it is. It is still far too cheap to consider any alternatives for getting around for most of America. Sure, if you live in a big city, that's one thing. Of course, finding a parking space is easily a bigger deterrent to using a car rather than train or public transit if that's the case.

My car is still the cheapest way for me to get to where I need to go and that doesn't even take into account the convenience of just hopping into it and going. Everyone makes a huge deal about gas prices but I honestly see absolutely no change in their habits. Everywhere I look, people are driving around by themselves.

I agree with Perch that we should start having toll roads, provided they're automated and don't require you to stop.

Edited by detlef

It might not be a very popular opinion, but gas doesn't cost enough as it is. It is still far too cheap to consider any alternatives for getting around for most of America. Sure, if you live in a big city, that's one thing. Of course, finding a parking space is easily a bigger deterrent to using a car rather than train or public transit if that's the case.

My car is still the cheapest way for me to get to where I need to go and that doesn't even take into account the convenience of just hopping into it and going. Everyone makes a huge deal about gas prices but I honestly see absolutely no change in their habits. Everywhere I look, people are driving around by themselves.

I agree with Perch that we should start having toll roads, provided they're automated and don't require you to stop.

I wouldn't mind suspending the oil company subsidies and increasing the gas tax if it gave subsidies to alternatives. Most people don't mind taxes if something good is done with that money.

In the 1970's things were done to get off mideast oil but then the 80's reversed those actions.

Adding-

Hw much is this mideast oil really costing us? We have to include this war's costs in the equation.

Edited by Randall