[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Should the US suspend the Gas Tax?

MikesVikes

Here's the problem though... the industry most affected here is the Freight Industry. Truckers are already up in arms over the cost of fuel. They have been demonstrating in Washington recently. Artifically raising gas prices as an incentive to develop alternatives will result in an immediate crippling of the Freight Industry, which trickles down to just about every other major domestic industry (we are VERY dependent upon our truckers). There would not be an immediate alternative energy source developed just because we price ourselves out of oil-based fuels. In fact there's no guarantee we will ever come up with something that is an efficient and cost-effective replacement for fossil fuels. And don't you just KNOW that any alternative that is eventually developed will either be protested by some Berkley born hippies, or killed off by politicians beholden to special interest money machines?

While I agree that artificially raising gas prices to affect change, I also have a problem with artificially lowering them to encourage people and businesses not to change.

If our transport industry is using too much fuel, maybe...

- Trucks could become more fuel efficient? :wacko: hybird? I have no idea.

- People would be encouraged to manufacture things more locally? 50 years ago there wasn't one huge factory that shipped all over the country.

- Venture Capitalists will start to take my business plan for the coast-to-coast underground electromagnetic supertrain more seriously.

- Darpa will stop dragging its feet on those anti-gravity shipping pallettes.

You know... my last joke answer makes it sound like I'm not serious about the underground train, but I am. LA to NYC in 3 hours on the non-stop. We take passengers or cargo. Warning: The bar car is incredibly overpriced. No smoking.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Maybe we should stop spending our gas taxes on boondoggle light rail social engineering programs and actually use the funds to fix/expand our roads and bridges?

:wacko:

Maybe we should stop spending our gas taxes on boondoggle light rail social engineering programs and actually use the funds to fix/expand our roads and bridges?

Actually, I'm dying for the light rail to make it up to my house here in Denver/Boulder. Maybe it's just because I grew up in the shadow of the Metro NY area, but trains are the bomb. New Haven line to my home, Hudson line to my school. Convenient, fast, cheap, and drunk as hell.

Edited by AtomicCEO

We live along I-70, so if they had a train that went from DIA into Boulder, we'd visit Boulder more often. And I'm still holding out hope for a train into the mountains... one that you can bring your snow/summer toys on :wacko:

That would be supa-sweet. The traffic on 70 from Eisenhower to Clear Creek Canyon is frigging stupid at 4pm on weekends.

Have you ever taken the ski train to Winter Park?

No way. Trucking companies are the the absolute worst subsidy targets. Using trucks to transport goods (other than in-town deliveries) is the ultimate in non-energy efficient transportation. Rail is far more efficient, and the only reason it isn't used more is because 20 years ago when "just in time" inventory management became the rage, having lots of truck shipments was cheaper than having one large rail shipment plus the associated inventory costs.

If truckers are hurting, it's their own fault. Raise prices. Pass along fuel costs. If your competition is able to do it for less than you are, that's not the fault of diesel price. Everyone in the industry pays for fuel.

Good point. I gues that's another :wacko: for free market - even though I think it mentality is overused.

If you drive 10 miles each way to work 6 days a week and get 20 MPG(@$3.50) and double that for 2 cars it's $2.10 a week.

Anyone making a big deal out of this is :wacko:

I don't really drive excessively. I have a fairly short and light commute. For my vehicle alone (which does get right about 20 mpg) I spend about $45 to fill up every 10 days or so. My wife does the same with her vehicle. That's about $250 to $300 per month for our family on gas. I don't know anyone that is only spending $2.10 a week on gas right now.

I don't really drive excessively. I have a fairly short and light commute. For my vehicle alone (which does get right about 20 mpg) I spend about $45 to fill up every 10 days or so. My wife does the same with her vehicle. That's about $250 to $300 per month for our family on gas. I don't know anyone that is only spending $2.10 a week on gas right now.

I think he was referring to the savings per week.