[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kitchen Cabinet Refacing.....

rocknrobn26

Our kitchen is rather small and 'U' shaped, so I can't really justify the extra expense of a complete tear out, being that the layout would be the same. We'll be getting new counter tops and appliances also, but I digress.

After talking to one installer, I did find out that he can change drawer and cabinet sizes/locations, accommodate slide outs, so that the newer styled appliances will fit properly

Has anyone ever done this?

What are the pitfalls?

Recommendations?

TIA

Our kitchen is rather small and 'U' shaped, so I can't really justify the extra expense of a complete tear out, being that the layout would be the same. We'll be getting new counter tops and appliances also, but I digress.

After talking to one installer, I did find out that he can change drawer and cabinet sizes/locations, accommodate slide outs, so that the newer styled appliances will fit properly

Has anyone ever done this?

What are the pitfalls?

Recommendations?

TIA

Had it done in my kitchen last spring. Very satisfied.

It can be done, and it can be nice. I would want a quote to see how much it is going to cost though, as more times than not it costs almost as much as starting over.

Solid wood replacement doors, like Cherry, are twice as much as a laminate. He said if we wanted to go w/ a door like that, we might as well do a total tear out, as the cost differential was nil, and it would actually take less time.

Solid wood replacement doors, like Cherry, are twice as much as a laminate. He said if we wanted to go w/ a door like that, we might as well do a total tear out, as the cost differential was nil, and it would actually take less time.

That's because the door/drawer faces are the most expensive parts of the cabinet. I'm sure perch knows more than I do, but the backs and drawers are typically a birch or maybe maple 3/4 plywood, and will be plenty good after 50 or even 100 years if they haven't been wet. Are you guys hard on the stuff? If not, the laminate would probably work fine. If it gets beat up (grandkids, dogs/cats, whatever) then go with the solids.

That's because the door/drawer faces are the most expensive parts of the cabinet. I'm sure perch knows more than I do, but the backs and drawers are typically a birch or maybe maple 3/4 plywood, and will be plenty good after 50 or even 100 years if they haven't been wet. Are you guys hard on the stuff? If not, the laminate would probably work fine. If it gets beat up (grandkids, dogs/cats, whatever) then go with the solids.

Thanks for your insight! :D

We are not hard on anything. Hell, for the most part we tidy up the smallest mess. But, what I like about a laminate front is you can clean it w/ anything, short abrasives! Our current wood doors have a grease deposit that never seems clean! They are sticky no matter what I use on them! :wacko:

Thanks for the info, especially because it didn't include an age bashing! :D:brew:

We are not hard on anything. Hell, for the most part we tidy up the smallest mess. But, what I like about a laminate front is you can clean it w/ anything, short abrasives! Our current wood doors have a grease deposit that never seems clean! They are sticky no matter what I use on them! :wacko:

Thanks for the info, especially because it didn't include an age bashing! :D:brew:

Hire a couple of Mexicans. Not only will you save some money but you'll have a couple around for some after work french kissing.

It can be done, and it can be nice. I would want a quote to see how much it is going to cost though, as more times than not it costs almost as much as starting over.

I recently did mine and checked into just new doors. The cost wasn't much less than the all new cabinets that i was able to modify to my configuration to allow for new appliances also.

We are not hard on anything. Hell, for the most part we tidy up the smallest mess. But, what I like about a laminate front is you can clean it w/ anything, short abrasives! Our current wood doors have a grease deposit that never seems clean! They are sticky no matter what I use on them! :D

Thanks for the info, especially because it didn't include an age bashing! :brew::D

You're old.

:wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

I think we found the right guy. He does it all, had great references, is a BBB certified/preferred contractor, in the biz for 10+ years. No signed contract yet, but we're hoping to do that within days.

We're going w/:

Solid wood doors (maple or cherry w/ a glaze, mitre or square corners all to be determined when he comes to measure)

Quartz counter, undermount SS sink.

The claim of 50% less than New cabs. is off, but it is at least 30% cheaper, plus I don't have to worry about the footprint of new matching the old, as I don't want to replace the floor or wait 3 weeks for the top to be installed.

I got 4 estimates, this guy was second cheapest but not by much (NO I don't necessarily agree w/ lowest bid, EXCEPT when comparisons are the same and I compare closely). Sears was 50%+ more than anyone! :wacko: Plus they only do laminate so the comparative price diff is actually more!. Screw them. I will say the 2 ladies they sent over were eye candy. :D One MILF and one very young cutie just out of college.

A couple of other questions:

The installer was trying to talk me out of the automatic ice maker and water dispenser due to it potentially rupturing and flooding the house. What do yall think about that? Who has them? Any problems? Is REALLY a worry?

Bottom freezer....good idea or not? Can't do/don't like French doors. Opinions?

Comments welcome! :D Any and all help appreciated.

I love the bottom freezer because that is the least opened door. With the fridge on top, you don't have to bend down to get anything...We have the french doors and we bought it on sale and could not beat the price otherwise I would have gotten a regular door. It was marked down 30% and then got another 20% off for buying three or more. My suggestion, if you have the time to look, wait until a good sale comes along. We looked for 2 months until we found a stainless steel set that we probably saved 30-40%. That only works if your not loyal to one brand and will to buy anywhere...

Good Luck!

ETA: we have the automatic ice maker that can make three sizes of cubes, filtered water. We had no problems and I don't see any way it can rupture or leak. We love it!!!

Edited by Outshined

I love the bottom freezer because that is the least opened door. With the fridge on top, you don't have to bend down to get anything...We have the french doors and we bought it on sale and could not beat the price otherwise I would have gotten a regular door. It was marked down 30% and then got another 20% off for buying three or more. My suggestion, if you have the time to look, wait until a good sale comes along. We looked for 2 months until we found a stainless steel set that we probably saved 30-40%. That only works if your not loyal to one brand and will to buy anywhere...

Good Luck!

ETA: we have the automatic ice maker that can make three sizes of cubes, filtered water. We had no problems and I don't see any way it can rupture or leak. We love it!!!

Great info! :wacko::D

I'm not locked into a brand, but size, to minimize cabinet cutting and clearance problems.

Anyone else?

Bottom freezers save energy, and I think they're more convenient like outshined already said.

I wouldn't sweat the icemaker issue. We've had numerous and the only issue was when a vinyl supply line split. Make sure your supply is copper, but I don't think it'd be a problem for you.

Never hand a problem with icemakers.

Do check consumer report on refrigerators since they are expensive to repair and replace.

Stay away from subzero. We have two subzeros and both have needed repairs within three years of purchase. I've heard they have issues, so not a fluke-we inherited ours with the house so have no choice but to own them.

Bottom freezers save energy, and I think they're more convenient like outshined already said.

I wouldn't sweat the icemaker issue. We've had numerous and the only issue was when a vinyl supply line split. Make sure your supply is copper, but I don't think it'd be a problem for you.

Double checked the install. No saddle valve, but a regular shutoff and copper.

TY,WV.

Never hand a problem with icemakers.

Do check consumer report on refrigerators since they are expensive to repair and replace.

Stay away from subzero. We have two subzeros and both have needed repairs within three years of purchase. I've heard they have issues, so not a fluke-we inherited ours with the house so have no choice but to own them.

We are not doing built-ins, and I am a firm believer of CR on somethings, especially repair records, as those are compiled by the readers in real life situations. What I did just buy is a Bosch Stove (drop-in), a Bosch MW w/ exhaust, and a new yet to be released GE bottom freezer (all SS) w/ the water in the door (single right hinge) and an ice maker, at the same price (it went up $150) as the old model. 2 things I've been wanting for years as the cube trays and water dispenser are always MT when I need them. GE has a good repair record, but Bosch is too new. We have a Bosch DW and love it. No heating element, very energy efficient, and super quiet. I took the 5 year extended warranty. It was only $249 (for all 3 appliances) for 5 years and you get half back if you don't use it! :wacko: Plus it has a "lemon policy". I think that was cost effective....opinions??

TY, Shug!

We also put a deposit down on the refacing/counter top. Decent price on Solid wood,Maple w/ miters, w/ a glaze and a quartz counter top. From the original estimate to the final the price changed +$200, mainly because (long story) he needs to do a new cab above the stove to mount the MW correctly. And that includes installing the MW, moving the electrical, et. al. That was worth about $135 savings on the install alone. As I said....long story. All in all we're happy.

BTW....Sears called back. Mind you they were ~$5,000 more than the guy we picked. The guy on the phone asked why we decided not to go w/ Sears. I said price and we didn't want a laminate. He said "How can I lower the price and get your business?". I said "What he F' am I doing.....buying a car???". :D What a sack of crap! Screw Sears!

Any other comments/advice is appreciated.

Ty, again! :D

Double checked the install. No saddle valve, but a regular shutoff and copper.

TY,WV.

We are not doing built-ins, and I am a firm believer of CR on somethings, especially repair records, as those are compiled by the readers in real life situations. What I did just buy is a Bosch Stove (drop-in), a Bosch MW w/ exhaust, and a new yet to be released GE bottom freezer (all SS) w/ the water in the door (single right hinge) and an ice maker, at the same price (it went up $150) as the old model. 2 things I've been wanting for years as the cube trays and water dispenser are always MT when I need them. GE has a good repair record, but Bosch is too new. We have a Bosch DW and love it. No heating element, very energy efficient, and super quiet. I took the 5 year extended warranty. It was only $249 (for all 3 appliances) for 5 years and you get half back if you don't use it! :wacko: Plus it has a "lemon policy". I think that was cost effective....opinions??

TY, Shug!

We also put a deposit down on the refacing/counter top. Decent price on Solid wood,Maple w/ miters, w/ a glaze and a quartz counter top. From the original estimate to the final the price changed +$200, mainly because (long story) he needs to do a new cab above the stove to mount the MW correctly. And that includes installing the MW, moving the electrical, et. al. That was worth about $135 savings on the install alone. As I said....long story. All in all we're happy.

BTW....Sears called back. Mind you they were ~$5,000 more than the guy we picked. The guy on the phone asked why we decided not to go w/ Sears. I said price and we didn't want a laminate. He said "How can I lower the price and get your business?". I said "What he F' am I doing.....buying a car???". :D What a sack of crap! Screw Sears!

Any other comments/advice is appreciated.

Ty, again! :brew:

:D you've found another area I know a little something about, rr. :D My company does not re-face cabinets, but we do sell counters.

Which brand of quartz are you going with?

It sounds like a good deal on the appliances and the re-facing. I love the bottom freezers and although the idea of the 'French door' models is nice, the fact that Jenn-Aire is the only company making them makes them expensive. Bottom freezer models should be more efficient (do to that whole cold air sinking thingy and all) and it is far more user friendly due to the fridge portion being at eye level.

Sounds like good choices all around. :D

:D you've found another area I know a little something about, rr. :D My company does not re-face cabinets, but we do sell counters.

Which brand of quartz are you going with?

It sounds like a good deal on the appliances and the re-facing. I love the bottom freezers and although the idea of the 'French door' models is nice, the fact that Jenn-Aire is the only company making them makes them expensive. Bottom freezer models should be more efficient (do to that whole cold air sinking thingy and all) and it is far more user friendly due to the fridge portion being at eye level.

Sounds like good choices all around. :wacko:

Going w/ LG Viatera, Palermo. It has a nice mix of colors and frankly we let the color rule our choice, not price or brand. We went for the single door. Easier to take things out and place on the counter, as our frig is in a corner.

Going w/ LG Viatera, Palermo. It has a nice mix of colors and frankly we let the color rule our choice, not price or brand. We went for the single door. Easier to take things out and place on the counter, as our frig is in a corner.

Nice product. Quartz is all essentially the same anyway. Some brands (Zodiaq, Caesarstone, Silestone) you'll pay more for, just for the name recognition really. LG (also Cambria, Technistone, etc) is one that usually prices out lower anyway, so you got the best of both worlds. :wacko: