[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best bass guitar line of all time?

cre8tiff

My name is Mud by Primus is by far the best bass song I have ever heard. Les Claypool rocks. He plays the bass as the lead guitar in Primus...six string fretless most of the time....and he just beats it to death...fun live.

I also hear that Oteel Burberidge(I am sure I mangled this) plays one hell of a bass....

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as judging the best rock bass line (popular) - I'd have to roll with the funky groove line in the middle of Led Zeppelin's 'Lemon Song' - it kicks in right around the 2:55 mark.

As far as theeee best bass line I've ever heard (judging technical and overall groove/feel) - there is only one: The last song on this live album by Donny Hathaway.. The song is called Voices Inside (everything is everything) and the bass player is Willie Weeks - Link to entire song. The bass solo kicks in around the 8:10 mark and lasts nearly 4 minutes. I recommend listening to the entire song but if you're impatient skip to 8:10. The whole album is worth the purchase, every song is fantastic.

E2A: This album truly is amazing, great renditions of Lennon's 'Jealous Guy' and Marvin Gaye's 'What's Goin On'.

Edited by Brentastic

I've always liked Mike Gordon's basslines. I was trying to think of a good song that I could name where you wouldn't have to dig 4 minutes in to hear the cool part... I've always liked his crazy slap in It's Ice.

:wacko: Oh, and I love

. Edited by AtomicCEO

and in the "what the ----" category, Yes's "Does it Really Happen" (from Drama).

Wow! That was the first song I thought of. Drama was not one of Yes' most noteable LPs. The bass lead at the end is incredible. Speaking of Chris Squire and Yes, The Fish is tremendous as well.

I'm a hugh Rush fan and YYZ has an awesome bass line. Geddy Lee can sure belt it out.

That is a good groove - how about 'If You Want Me to Saty' by Sly and the Family Stone?

Not ready to go THAT deep - the best I can do with Sly is "I Want to Take You Higher" but that's more of a full-band groove than a "bass" groove.

Off that topic, back in the day I was driving into Lansing MI and listening to The Edge (95-something I think - ask Egret) and they played the Spin Doctors' "Little Miss Can't Be Wrong"; on this listening, I realized "damn, that bass player is working for his dollar, good stuff" - a thought which promptly was crushed out of my skull by the following song, Primus doing "Wynonna's Big Brown Beaver."