[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

OSU vs USC

sacosud

Ahh yes the same Michigan team that ran wild on Florida for over 500 yards of offense JUST last year. Does that mean that Michigan simply had superior athletes and superior speed? Not IMO. Florida's team speed as you eloquently point out is ALWAYS fast. Michigan was simply the better team, because they executed. The best example of execution over speed, was the 1996 Fiesta Bowl when Nebraska played Florida. You are honestly going to tell me that Nebraska held such a superior speed advantage in that game and THAT was the reason they completely destroyed the Gators? Nebraska had excellent speed in that game, but no one can say that the Gators were slow. Not the way they rolled through the SEC that year. No, Nebraska simply executed their gameplan flawlessly. Florida stood no shot, because as athletic as they were, Nebraska was ALWAYS where they were supposed to be at all times. On every play all 11 guys have a role to play, and if they play that role perfectly every play, they will win. How in the world do you think Stanford could BEAT USC? Through raw athleticism? ARE YOU FREAKING SERIOUS?! How do you think a team like Appalachian State could beat Michigan? Through sheer speed? I'm not saying that speed and athleticism is irrelevant, you're absolutely correct, execution comes a lot easier when you have it. However, when you have two programs like Ohio State and Florida, BOTH who have NFL Talent on their teams, then yes my friend, it comes down to execution. You make it seem like Florida beat up on a bunch of jokers, and like I said, that is disrespecting what Florida did in that game. They beat up on a very good football team (A team everyone and their dog said they didnt have a hope in hell of beating).

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh yes the same Michigan team that ran wild on Florida for over 500 yards of offense JUST last year. Does that mean that Michigan simply had superior athletes and superior speed? Not IMO. Florida's team speed as you eloquently point out is ALWAYS fast. Michigan was simply the better team, because they executed. The best example of execution over speed, was the 1996 Fiesta Bowl when Nebraska played Florida. You are honestly going to tell me that Nebraska held such a superior speed advantage in that game and THAT was the reason they completely destroyed the Gators? Nebraska had excellent speed in that game, but no one can say that the Gators were slow. Not the way they rolled through the SEC that year. No, Nebraska simply executed their gameplan flawlessly. Florida stood no shot, because as athletic as they were, Nebraska was ALWAYS where they were supposed to be at all times. On every play all 11 guys have a role to play, and if they play that role perfectly every play, they will win. How in the world do you think Stanford could BEAT USC? Through raw athleticism? ARE YOU FREAKING SERIOUS?! How do you think a team like Appalachian State could beat Michigan? Through sheer speed? I'm not saying that speed and athleticism is irrelevant, you're absolutely correct, execution comes a lot easier when you have it. However, when you have two programs like Ohio State and Florida, BOTH who have NFL Talent on their teams, then yes my friend, it comes down to execution. You make it seem like Florida beat up on a bunch of jokers, and like I said, that is disrespecting what Florida did in that game. They beat up on a very good football team (A team everyone and their dog said they didnt have a hope in hell of beating).

man you Big 11 guys are really struggling and reaching............

OSU gets destroyed by a more talented FLA team, and gets beat by LSU- and I make the comment they were beaten by superior, more athletic teams........not much of a strectch IMO. FLA didn't beat up on a bunch of jokers- cmon man- OSU obivously ahs good players my point is just that vs. the elite nationally there is a gap - which we will see at the Coliseum tomorrow.

Brian yer now comparing BCS National Championship games to 2 of the biggest upsets in the history of college football???

big game for the Big 11?? :wacko:

man you Big 11 guys are really struggling and reaching............

OSU gets destroyed by a more talented FLA team, and gets beat by LSU- and I make the comment they were beaten by superior, more athletic teams........not much of a strectch IMO. FLA didn't beat up on a bunch of jokers- cmon man- OSU obivously ahs good players my point is just that vs. the elite nationally there is a gap - which we will see at the Coliseum tomorrow.

Brian yer now comparing BCS National Championship games to 2 of the biggest upsets in the history of college football???

big game for the Big 11?? :wacko:

I believe he was refering to your comment on the cemented Michigan squad, which became a head scratcher because Michigan put up huge numbers on Flordia in their home state.

that's right- the long layoff was the reason why FLA dummied OSU- my fault TOS

cute stat - I am sure Mich and ND are way up on that list as well- yer point? in fact Miami has the most as of 2008

as talented as OSU is with future NFL guys- sorry homie- USC is on another level

Another beating will put the Big 10 on par with the ACC and Big East

OSU is 8-1 in their last 9 games against the PAC 10 .

If we suck then....

wildcat, I'm not comparing 2 BCS Games to 2 upsets. I'm using 2 major upsets to illustrate that the only way a team like Stanford could ever beat a team like USC would be if they execute. I think we can all agree, they didn't beat USC because they are completely athletically superior. My point was to validate that execution trumps speed and athleticism every single time.

I was certain Beanie would be a go tonight. But it appears a decision has been made and Wells will not be healthy enough to go. Tough to get past playing the #1 without the best player in college football :wacko:

Tressel says he won't play Wells

Right foot injury will cause tailback to miss second straight game

Saturday, September 13, 2008 3:29 AM

By Ken Gordon

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

LOS ANGELES -- Running back Chris "Beanie" Wells trudged up the ramp from the field last night at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and boarded the team bus after Ohio State's walk-through.

That's as fast as Wells will move on this trip.

Coach Jim Tressel said he will hold Wells and his injured right foot out of a game tonight against top-ranked Southern California.

Tressel said Wells was not ruled out by the team's medical staff; he made the call.

"Typically, the doctors will (say), 'Here's my opinion,' but it's all on how you feel," Tressel said. "So I just think, as I listen to the doctors and as I think about the situation, I think a decision had to be made.

"I'm not sure (Wells) will ever speak to me again, but I think it's the right thing to do, so we won't have Beanie tomorrow."

Asked whether Wells fought him for the right to play, Tressel said, "I suppose if looks could kill, he fought me."

Continued........

Mad props to JT for looking at the future of Wells and not one game. I would have let him play and hope for the best, but I'm selfish

Hopefully the super freshman Heron along with the D can keep it close. It's all on Laurinaitis, Freeman and Jenkins now. Without Wells, our chances of winning just got squashed. I'd expect the line to move to 14 today.

Edited by theeohiostate

I was certain Beanie would be a go tonight. But it appears a decision has been made and Wells will not be healthy enough to go. Tough to get past playing the #1 without the best player in college football :wacko:

Mad props to JT for looking at the future of Wells and not one game. I would have let him play and hope for the best, but I'm selfish

Hopefully the super freshman Heron along with the D can keep it close. It's all on Laurinaitis, Freeman and Jenkins now. Without Wells, our chances of winning just got squashed. I'd expect the line to move to 14 today.

As I've said before, great teams can overcome a loss of a great running back. Does it lessen their chance of winning? Sure. But it can also have a positive affect on a team where it raises the level of the play of the rest of the team and gives them extra motivation to prove that their not a "one man team". Ohio State, like other great programs, has tremendous depth and the guy(s) waiting in the wings want to prove that they can have success and lead their team to victory. With Beanie, or without, the result will be the same.

I'm just hoping for a great, competitive game.

Edited by theprofessor

wildcat, I'm not comparing 2 BCS Games to 2 upsets. I'm using 2 major upsets to illustrate that the only way a team like Stanford could ever beat a team like USC would be if they execute. I think we can all agree, they didn't beat USC because they are completely athletically superior. My point was to validate that execution trumps speed and athleticism every single time.

Honestly, the ONLY reason that Stanford beat USC last year is because USC overlooked them and gave them no respect. USC deserved to lose that game.

As I've said before, great teams can overcome a loss of a great running back. Does it lessen their chance of winning? Sure. But it can also have a positive affect on a team where it raises the level of the play of the rest of the team and gives them extra motivation to prove that their not a "one man team". Ohio State, like other great programs, has tremendous depth and the guy(s) waiting in the wings want to prove that they can have success and lead their team to victory. With Beanie, or without, the result will be the same.

I'm just hoping for a great, competitive game.

What a foolish statement. How can you even defend such a ludicrous post ? College games each week since the dawn a man have been dominated by single players.

:wacko:

Honestly, the ONLY reason that Stanford beat USC last year is because USC overlooked them and gave them no respect. USC deserved to lose that game.

I agree... but Stanford DID have to go out there and make plays, and under wildcats theory, the team that has the best athletes always wins. I don't think anyone would argue that USC didn't have better athletes than Stanford. My argument is that execution trumps anything. The team that executes best ALWAYS wins.

Edited by GWPFFL BrianW

I agree... but Stanford DID have to go out there and make plays, and under wildcats theory, the team that has the best athletes always wins. I don't think anyone would argue that USC didn't have better athletes than Stanford. My argument is that execution trumps anything. The team that executes best ALWAYS wins.

ya ya - and the sky is blue and Mark Mangino is a fat ass.

I still fail to see how you are using one of the bigges upsets in NCAA history as some kind of comparison to OSU getting owned by better ballclubs :wacko:

ya ya - and the sky is blue and Mark Mangino is a fat ass.

I still fail to see how you are using one of the bigges upsets in NCAA history as some kind of comparison to OSU getting owned by better ballclubs :wacko:

I can only assume you didn't watch the LSU OSU game , as execution WAS the difference. OSU had 5 15 yard PF penalties , 2 of which came on 3rd down giving LSU a first of which they went to score of both.

To call the Stanford win the biggest in history shows your a fool. I wasn't shocked in the least. OSU going into USC and winning tonight without the best player in college football would be a MUCH bigger upset.

Edited by theeohiostate

I can only assume you didn't watch the LSU OSU game , as execution WAS the difference. OSU had 5 15 yard PF penalties , 2 of which came on 3rd down giving LSU a first of which they went to score of both.

To call the Stanford win the biggest in history shows your a fool. I wasn't shocked in the least. OSU going into USC and winning tonight without the best player in college football would be a MUCH bigger upset.

yer such a dipsh1t -

you never fail to remind me why yer the only huddler I have ever put on ignore -

FYI- USC was a wait for it.............41 point favorite, which gee whiz makes it the biggest upset in the history of college football.

Peeps can aruge other games, that is fine- but going by the numbers it is #1. And I am the fool?? id-yet

here we go, TOS backpeddling and getting the awe shucks excuses ready to go.......

yes, solid point TOS if yer Bucks win today it will go down as the biggest upset - do you really have that little faith in yer team??

OSU should be proud to have you as a fan

Edited by wildcat2334

yer such a dipsh1t -

you never fail to remind me why yer the only huddler I have ever put on ignore -

FYI- USC was a wait for it.............41 point favorite, which gee whiz makes it the biggest upset in the history of college football.

Peeps can aruge other games, that is fine- but going by the numbers it is #1. And I am the fool?? id-yet

here we go, TOS backpeddling and getting the awe shucks excuses ready to go.......

yes, solid point TOS if yer Bucks win today it will go down as the biggest upset - do you really have that little faith in yer team??

I always find you entertaining wildcat. You hunch on to whatever Pac10 team is doing well during the season, dismiss your own school. Call every conference weak, even though the Pac 10 has looked awful in out of conference games this year.

To top it off, when your newly elected self proclaimed Pac 10 flavor of the week loses, you say they didn't come to play. When the Bucks lose a game in Florida with a 50 day layoff, where they already had figured they won the National Title by beating Michigan, somehow that constitutes as being outclassed

Nice one-sided, blind conference homerism buddy :wacko: Like anyone around here would listen to anything you have to say about teams not in you flavor of the week club in the Pac 10

What a foolish statement. How can you even defend such a ludicrous post ? College games each week since the dawn a man have been dominated by single players.

:D

Foolish? There are examples every F'n weekend where a teams TOP running back is out with an injury and the team finds a way to win. Come on .... you claim to be a college football fan :wacko:

You're so intent on making a statement about Beanie's injury that I'm starting to think your doing a little preliminary excuse building :D

Foolish? There are examples every F'n weekend where a teams TOP running back is out with an injury and the team finds a way to win. Come on .... you claim to be a college football fan :wacko:

You're so intent on making a statement about Beanie's injury that I'm starting to think your doing a little preliminary excuse building :D

Appologize Texas would have been the same without Young. OSU would have been the same without Troy Smith.

Yep, I'm a fool :D

LT makes little difference in San Diego too. :D

Appologize Texas would have been the same without Young. OSU would have been the same without Troy Smith.

Yep, I'm a fool :wacko:

LT makes little difference in San Diego too. :D

Haven't we done this before? Pay attention. Young and Smith are QUARTERBACKS!!

You'll never get it! :D Move on ............

Can't we just enjoy this match up for a few posts???? Look at the talent on both these teams and how many players are going to be in the NFL. Sanchez, Cushing, Malaluga, McKnight, Little Animal, Beanie(not playing) M. Jenkins, A. Boone, M.Freeman and T.Pryor. The home opener at USC at night!!!!! The stars are out for the game. The enviroment is crazy. 610 is reporting OSU fans traveled well once again with over 10,000 strong (How would they know)

I have been listening to 610 wtvn Columbus and they are talking about OSU using the spread to get the USC d-backs away from blitzing Boeckman and out of the tackle box. Coach Conley and Art Schlichter feel this is a crucial point to keep Boeckman off his back, they also feel short nickel and dime passes is what OSU will do.

I disagree totally....I think USC expects that and really I feel it plays in their hands to do so. We need to shorten the game and control the tempo. My feeling is the spread also creates lanes for the blitz and that has been shown in the last 2 Natinonal Championship games. We need to come out and use the Tight Ends with some dump passes and establish some type of running game. This game is all up to the OSU Offensive line and Defensive Line in my opinion.

I would use the power football game and tighten up the formation to protect Boeckman and look for mismatches to exploit, however that's easier said than done. OSU plays conservative football and field position. (Tressel ball) then looks for a home run here and there. I would say this match up is very similar to the 2002 Miami game. OSU was I think 14.5 point underdog and rested the game on it's defense and controling the tempo. I expect a very similar approach tonight.

If OSU gets down by 10 then look for the all out spread offense. Texas 2006 is a good example of that. We went down 10 and then Smith came in too almost pull it off. Superman Young came into the game and saved the game for the Longhorns.

I trust in Tress GO BUCKEYES.

wildcat, read my post. I said if your theory is correct, then why did Stanford beat USC. Clearly they were NOT the most athletic team on the field (or maybe they were in your warped mind?) Same with why was Michigan, slow slow poor big ten Michigan, able to put up 500+ yards on SEC fast Florida? Was it because they were more athletic and faster? Or was it because they executed? Which one is it?

They are much prouder then the USC fan base seeing you piggy back them :wacko:

When you decide to post something about your own school I'll send out a bulk email to inform everyone. It'll never happen, so please keep piggy backing whatever teams suits your fancy for the week.