[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Inflation is a muthah

The Irish Doggy

Bought some Kraft Parmesan the other day with suggested retail price printed on the container of $3.99. Looked at the old stuff in the fridge, and the retail price was $2.99. We bought the 2.99 stuff just 3 months ago! :wacko:

Milk is killing us. Our kids drink a ton of milk each day (which is great) but the cost is going through the roof.

Yup, had to buy a gallon at the store the other night @ $3.99 for a name brand. The cost normally doesn't bug me 'cause we pay a local dairy to deliver it among other stuff so I never see the "milk only" cost.

I've noticed bread is going up - so are pastas.

You want a real shock, Usually when I go shopping I will stock up on things like ground beef, roasts and chicken breasts and freeze them. Well, during the 4th I forgot to thaw out a whole chicken for the smoker so I went to the store to pick up two fresh ones. I was shocked at the price, they were $7 for a 4 lb chicken, while the ones in my freezer, same weight, roughly, were $4 and change. So I went tot he store the other day and started looking at per LB pricing on other things to compare...

Ground beef - Up about 30%

Boston Butt - Up about 40%

Steaks - I didn't have any frozen, but it appears that they are up about 30%

Pork Chops (Boneless) - up about 30%

It is f'n unreal....

You want a real shock, Usually when I go shopping I will stock up on things like ground beef, roasts and chicken breasts and freeze them. Well, during the 4th I forgot to thaw out a whole chicken for the smoker so I went to the store to pick up two fresh ones. I was shocked at the price, they were $7 for a 4 lb chicken, while the ones in my freezer, same weight, roughly, were $4 and change. So I went tot he store the other day and started looking at per LB pricing on other things to compare...

Ground beef - Up about 30%

Boston Butt - Up about 40%

Steaks - I didn't have any frozen, but it appears that they are up about 30%

Pork Chops (Boneless) - up about 30%

It is f'n unreal....

I haven't seen any increase in beef costs. I'm guessing it is probably due to there being a couple of meat packing companies in town, so the shipping cost is minimal.

I grow a very large garden in the burbs and my father has over 130 head of cattle and it's a lot of work with the garden and helping him, but its well worth the cost. Nothing like spending 99 cents on some seeds and yielding tons of frozen or canned goods out of that $1.

I haven't seen any increase in beef costs. I'm guessing it is probably due to there being a couple of meat packing companies in town, so the shipping cost is minimal.

I hope we are talking about the same type of meat.

Around me, wheat and milk products have been spiking.

Preach on. Grocery prices rising make gas prices look like nothing. These farmers are making out better than the oil companies.

Fertilizer is has tripled in the last two years.

Round up for no-till farming has tripled in the last two years.

Diesel fuel has double in the last year.

The cost of farming is going up. Part of that boils down to a weak dollar. The other part is global demand on oil and commodities.

Farmers are not making out better than the oil companies. To stay efficient the farmers that I help bought two new combines this year. Well over $400,000 a piece, John Deere does not over produce, and these were ordered last fall. They take over 300 gallons of diesel while harvesting wheat. This year they don't have any wheat because mother nature harvested 7000 acres of their wheat in June with a hail storm. They will be lucky to cover their costs. Be happy bread and milk aren't higher than they are.

Edited by Rebellab

The cost of farming is going up. Part of that boils down to a weak dollar. The other part is global demand on oil and commodities.

Farmers are not making out better than the oil companies. To stay efficient the farmers that I help bought two new combines this year. Well over $400,000 a piece, John Deere does not over produce, and these were ordered last fall. They take over 300 gallons of diesel while harvesting wheat. This year they don't have any wheat because mother nature harvested 7000 acres of their wheat in June with a hail storm. They will be lucky to cover their costs. Be happy bread and milk are higher than they are.

:wacko:

Farmers are not making out better than the oil companies. To stay efficient the farmers that I help bought two new combines this year. Well over $400,000 a piece, John Deere does not over produce, and these were ordered last fall. They take over 300 gallons of diesel while harvesting wheat. This year they don't have any wheat because mother nature harvested 7000 acres of their wheat in June with a hail storm. They will be lucky to cover their costs. Be happy bread and milk are higher than they are.

Some make out better than others...

Cargill Inc., the largest agricultural company in the U.S. and a major player internationally, has announced a massive jump in their second-quarter profits of 34 percent on the back of gains in shipping, trading and processing grains and oilseeds. Net income in the three months to November 30 was up to $662 million compared to $495 for the same quarter the year before, boosted by record demand for corn-based ethanol, and soybean-based biodiesel. Corn prices have reached levels not seen for decades and soybean prices rose 23 percent in just three months.

Wayzata, Minn. — (AP) - Agribusiness giant Cargill said on Monday that second-quarter profits jumped 44 percent as it continued to benefit from strong demand for food commodities.

Cargill said it earned $954 million during the second quarter, up from $662 million during the same period last year. That brings its first-half earnings to $1.87 billion, up 61 percent from the first half of its prior year.

Those evil farmers are causing a spike in the price of gasoline also....

Edited by SEC=UGA

Some make out better than others...

Cargill Inc., the largest agricultural company in the U.S. and a major player internationally, has announced a massive jump in their second-quarter profits of 34 percent on the back of gains in shipping, trading and processing grains and oilseeds. Net income in the three months to November 30 was up to $662 million compared to $495 for the same quarter the year before, boosted by record demand for corn-based ethanol, and soybean-based biodiesel. Corn prices have reached levels not seen for decades and soybean prices rose 23 percent in just three months.

Those evil farmers are causing a spike in the price of gasoline also....

It sounds like price gouging to me. We need to throw a windfall tax on them now!

It sounds like price gouging to me. We need to throw a windfall tax on them now!

$494 mil in 2006 to $954 mil in 2008...... WOW!!!!! :D:wacko:

And some more:

Monsanto last month reported that its net income for the three months up to the end of February this year had more than doubled over the same period in 2007, from $543m (£275m) to $1.12bn. Its profits increased from $1.44bn to $2.22bn.

Cargill's net earnings soared by 86 per cent from $553m to $1.030bn over the same three months. And Archer Daniels Midland, one of the world's largest agricultural processors of soy, corn and wheat, increased its net earnings by 42 per cent in the first three months of this year from $363m to $517m. The operating profit of its grains merchandising and handling operations jumped 16-fold from $21m to $341m.

The prices of wheat, corn and rice have soared over the past year driving the world's poor – who already spend about 80 per cent of their income on food – into hunger and destitution.

The World Bank says that 100 million more people are facing severe hunger. Yet some of the world's richest food companies are making record profits.

And people think the petrol companies are evil!?!?!?!?!? People can live without petrol...

And even worse, we are subsidizing these guys, artificially increasing the price of these goods.

Edited by SEC=UGA

And some more:

Monsanto last month reported that its net income for the three months up to the end of February this year had more than doubled over the same period in 2007, from $543m (£275m) to $1.12bn. Its profits increased from $1.44bn to $2.22bn.

Cargill's net earnings soared by 86 per cent from $553m to $1.030bn over the same three months. And Archer Daniels Midland, one of the world's largest agricultural processors of soy, corn and wheat, increased its net earnings by 42 per cent in the first three months of this year from $363m to $517m. The operating profit of its grains merchandising and handling operations jumped 16-fold from $21m to $341m.

The prices of wheat, corn and rice have soared over the past year driving the world's poor – who already spend about 80 per cent of their income on food – into hunger and destitution.

The World Bank says that 100 million more people are facing severe hunger. Yet some of the world's richest food companies are making record profits.

And people think the petrol companies are evil!?!?!?!?!? People can live without petrol...

And even worse, we are subsidizing these guys, artificially increasing the price of these goods.

These companies are the processors of the commodities and the creators of the fertilizer and chemicals used in farming. The farmers are paying the high prices that you and I are paying. The commodity prices are higher, but they are no where near what the increase in input costs per acre are.

These companies are the processors of the commodities and the creators of the fertilizer and chemicals used in farming. The farmers are paying the high prices that you and I are paying. The commodity prices are higher, but they are no where near what the increase in input costs per acre are.

They're still evil and driving up the price of agri products, hit them with a windfall profits tax!!!!!!

And some more:

Not a double standard.....all the subsidies should vanish.