[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

my kid flushed a toy down the toilet--advice

wiegie

So, apparently my wife was flushing a kleenex down the toilet and my one year-old threw a toy into the toilet and it went down before my wife could stop it. The toy is sort of like a little plastic cup (it's a bathtub toy) about 2 inches in diameter and about two inches or so deep. My wife flushed the toilet a few times to see if it was clogged and it seemed not to be, but now I can see that it is definitely clogged. So my question is, what should I do? (The toy doesn't seem to be accessible from the bowl.)

Is taking the toilet off and trying to get the toy out that way my best option? Or should I just call a plumber?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Try using a plunger to see if that will clear it.

It that doesn't do it then try a toilet auger. It's a plumbing snake inside a protective tube that has a bent end. You pull the snake back into the tube as far as it will go then insert the end of the pipe in the large hole in the bowl. Next, turn the handle while pushing firmly on the snake. Don't use a regular snake in a toilet bowl. A regular snake will scratch and damage the bowl.

If that doesn't work...call a plumber and open your wallet.

Two bolts hold the toilet down. Turn off the water (you can see the handle on the wall), unscrew the two bolts on the side, and remove the toilet. I wouldn't try and plunge it, because you don't want the toy down the piples. I hope you find the toy. Go to Home Depot and buy a new wax ring (about $3). Replace the old wax ring and re-install the toilet. I hope you have two toilets in the house.

Try using a plunger to see if that will clear it.

It that doesn't do it then try a toilet auger. It's a plumbing snake inside a protective tube that has a bent end. You pull the snake back into the tube as far as it will go then insert the end of the pipe in the large hole in the bowl. Next, turn the handle while pushing firmly on the snake. Don't use a regular snake in a toilet bowl. A regular snake will scratch and damage the bowl.

If that doesn't work...call a plumber and open your wallet.

That's about the best advice you're going to get with out dissembling the toilet and goin' fishing.

Two bolts hold the toilet down. Turn off the water (you can see the handle on the wall), unscrew the two bolts on the side, and remove the toilet. I wouldn't try and plunge it, because you don't want the toy down the piples. I hope you find the toy. Go to Home Depot and buy a new wax ring (about $3). Replace the old wax ring and re-install the toilet. I hope you have two toilets in the house.

It's probably stuck in the S in the toilet or just below. In addition to this, after you turn the water off, disconnect the water line to the toilet. Then you can totally remove it and turn it on it's side to have a look see.

If you can't get it re-installed then a plumber will be the order of the day but it isnt that hard with a new wax ring (make sure you get the right size by measuring the hole after you remove the toilet).

dude, you could have been screwed. Glad you caught that before it started backing up on you, slightly flushing, backing up, etc.... Luckily there should be no crap in there.

I've done this twice now (damn kids). You'll most likely have to take the toilet off as others have mentioned and go fishing, basically sticking your arm in the toilet or most likely from the bottom up, it may not be easy though.

Good Luck. And no you may not have to change the wax ring, bolts, etc.. if they are all in good condition.

Have fun.

This happened to us about 17 yrs ago. My wife flushed and my 1 yr old son threw his WOODEN toy hammer in. By the time I got home the hammer and swelled. I removed the commode and took it outside. It took 3 days for that hammer to dry out enough for me to get it out.

I think the best thing for you to do is to remove the commode. As mentioned you do not want the toy to move down into the pipes where it could lodge somewhere else. I do a lot of plumbing repairs in my business so thats why I recommend this. Also as mentioned installing a commode can be trivally easy. However, some people just cannot do anything around the house. I have people that pay me to install a flush lever (handle) or hang a smoke detector because they are not handy. I like those people. :wacko:

Edited by Footballjoe