[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

StreamTVnow.tv. it's up and it rocks

LooGie

Alot of you will remember our StreamTV thread a few years back where we got nervous about even talking about them and chose to not refer anyone else.

www.streamtvnow.tv

Well I got permission, providing it's a small, tight group, such as us here at the Huddle. I strongly recommend this service.

They stream almost all sports, from 3 continents, including NFL, Soccer, Baseball, Boxing and even PPV events...probably a gray area that I shouldn't get into here. You can bet though, if it's an event worth watching, it'll be there. MMA, Boxing, etc.

anyway, every NFL game is covered, streamed to your PC realtime. They have 30 channels, and even stream some select TV shows like HBO and Showtimes ones. There's some easy instructions to set it up, but the jist is you use winamp to watch the streams.

I watched the SD/CAR game yesterday, (since for some reason I only get Dallas and NE games in Las Vegas :wacko: ) as well as SNF, and am watching MNF at work right now, since I couldn't leave early.

I wanted to make sure the servers could handle the NFL opening weekend before I threw it out there, and so far, so good

If you sign up, mention LooGie, because they have a referral program, but I dont really care. I got the 4 months for $20 plan... but i plan on keeping the service well past the NFL season for the MMA aspect..plus Dexter starts soon :D

Thanks LooGie. I had it a couple years ago then forgot what it was called.

:wacko:

hows the quality? is it legal? lol

I'd like to say yes...and no?..

it's a gray area. dont shout it from the rooftops. you're paying for forum access and the ability to access their private forums, which just happen to have the streams in them. that's all. the site is maintained "as a hobby" by the admins to let their users get their programming no matter where in the world they are.

alot of companies actually request that streamtv streams their programs...i'm sure hbo pay per view have different feelings...

and to answer about the quality, it's really rather good. many streams are better quality than anything i've found on youtube or another vid site. some are a bit choppy.

i had really choppy quality using vlc, but on winamp, no issues at all.

ty loogie i will try it out

no prob. just trying to share, although the free month when you say i referred you is nice too :wacko:

i know that i'm beyond frustrated when Carolina actually has a good matchup, but instead they play the mighty NE Patriots because Tom Brady has a super model girlfriend or whatever the hell. Las Vegas dont have a team, so we get whatever the powers that be want to forcefeed us...

and I refuse to support direct tv just becuase the NFL has a new policy about signing exclusive contracts with companies (Sirius, EA Games, DirectTV etc) , as Cox Cable is a superior service

Are college football games on it?

lemme cut and paste what i see in the calendar (note: i didn't copy the days, cuz there's other stuff too and it's too long, but this looks like the college schedule for this thur, fri and sat. i'm sure i missed some)

also, if you dont see something scheduled you can request it, and i've never had them deny a request. even for regular tv shows and such. i requested some off the wall show about the panthers a few years back and i got it.

04:30 PM - 07:30 PM Collage Football: Rutgers v North Carolina [5/22]

05:00 PM - 08:00 PM College Football: Kansas vs South Florida [5]

05:00 PM - 08:00 PM College Football: Kansas vs South Florida [5]

12:30 PM - 03:30 PM College Football: Arkansas vs Texas [5]

12:30 PM - 04:00 PM College Football: Michigan vs. Notre Dame [TBA]

12:30 PM - 04:00 PM College Football: #2 Georgia vs. South Carolina [TBA]

12:30 PM - 04:00 PM College Football: Arkansas vs. #10 Texas [5]

12:30 PM - 04:00 PM College Football: #19 Penn State at Syracuse [TBA]

04:00 PM - 07:00 PM Colleg Football: College Football: Jackson State vs. Tennessee State [24]

04:00 PM - 07:30 PM College Football: #9 Auburn at Mississippi State [6]

04:45 PM - 08:00 PM College Football: #4 Oklahoma at Washington [3]

05:00 PM - 08:00 PM MLB: LA Dodgers v Colorado [22]

05:00 PM - 08:30 PM College Football: #3 Ohio State at #1 USC [5]

07:00 PM - 10:00 PM Boxing: Nate Campbell v Joan Guzman [21] 07:30 PM - 10:30 PM

some mlb and boxing i didn't cut out too, cuz i'm lazy.

edit: yah, i went back and see some more that i missed, but you get the idea. i guess i coulda just said "yah" oh well

Edited by LooGie

it's a gray area. dont shout it from the rooftops. you're paying for forum access and the ability to access their private forums, which just happen to have the streams in them. that's all. the site is maintained "as a hobby" by the admins to let their users get their programming no matter where in the world they are.
Just because the site is ran as a hobby or you are paying for forum access rather then the broadcast doesn't make it legal. That holds as much water as "backing up" your Netflix rentals or having a video game image for 24 hours to "try it out".

It's not really a gray area. We've all heard the voice over during the games "...you may not retransmit the game without the permission of the National Football League...". If you have to ask if it's legal, you already probably know the answer.

I'm not trying to pass moral judgment or preach to you that what you are doing is wrong/right/justified/etc. That's your call and I don't care one way or another. I know I've used sites similar to this one for access to game video or audio mainly when I'm around a computer but not a TV.

Just because the site is ran as a hobby or you are paying for forum access rather then the broadcast doesn't make it legal. That holds as much water as "backing up" your Netflix rentals or having a video game image for 24 hours to "try it out".

It's not really a gray area. We've all heard the voice over during the games "...you may not retransmit the game without the permission of the National Football League...". If you have to ask if it's legal, you already probably know the answer.

I'm not trying to pass moral judgment or preach to you that what you are doing is wrong/right/justified/etc. That's your call and I don't care one way or another. I know I've used sites similar to this one for access to game video or audio mainly when I'm around a computer but not a TV.

If you have done it on a computer whats the difference on TV?

Wrong is wrong if your going to preach.

backing up your netflix rentals is not legal and i doubt anyone would try to say that. backing up your own movies is of course legal.

tivo'ing the game is of course legal, but only because it's a gray area. it really is ILLEGAL based on what that over voice says. Especially if you then let your friends watch it later, and fast forward through the commercials, or if you require your friends to bring beer or snacks to watch the game. You are then profiting from the NFL without their consent.

So dont pretend there are no gray areas, because there most certainly are.

And while I didn't say it was legal, i did say it was done as a hobby to provide content to "friends" they usually woudln't get otherwise. Same goes for having you come to my house to watch a PPV Boxing event that I paid for and you didn't. And like I said, dont bring cheetohs, because I am then profiting.

I dont think he was preaching, i think he was attempting to make a point that we shouldn't candy coat it. He feels it's illegal and he's done it too. That's all. No biggie

edit: and he wasn't saying he wouldn't do it on a tv, just that he's used these sites before because he didn't have access to a tv.

Edited by LooGie

I know wrong is wrong. I'm not preaching to you to try to make you feel bad or to make you repent. I could care less what you do. If you aren't going to pay DirecTV for NFL:ST anyways, then DirecTV/the local station isn't losing money when you don't watch through them. Same argument as that of people who have pirated music or movies. And while they may be right, it doesn't make it legal.

tivo'ing the game is of course legal, but only because it's a gray area. it really is ILLEGAL based on what that over voice says. Especially if you then let your friends watch it later, and fast forward through the commercials, or if you require your friends to bring beer or snacks to watch the game. You are then profiting from the NFL without their consent.
No it's not illegal to Tivo it. The SCOTUS upheld time shifting as fair use in Sony v Universal. That case revolved around tape recording content but the same applies to DVR. Place shifting, transmitting a broadcast from one location to another has yet to be officially ruled on by any courts. Placeshifting use similar to spaceshifting (like saving a MP3 to a iPod) to a single device owned by you likely is legal as it's still within personal fair use guidelines. However placeshifting has the potential for many more people to view a broadcast. This use likely is not covered under fair and would be deemed illegal.

Charging admission to friends makes you a commercial establishment which is a different ball game as to what your rights are with regard to fair use and viewing the game. The last several years there have been stories here about churches or other organizations that have had Superbowl parties/fundraisers canceled because they charge admission and/or they invite the public to watch the game. If the organizations were to not charge admission and limit it to a smaller group of individuals instead of the public, they likely would not have an issue.

Likewise, you having a group of friends over and having them bring a dish of food is not you profiting. It's purely a private social gathering and is permissible. Section 110 of the copyright law actually says that it's permissible, even for a public viewing (even for a church) as long as there isn't a direct or indirect admission charge.

So dont pretend there are no gray areas, because there most certainly are.
There are gray areas in that is place shifting legal. It's never been ruled on by a court and the concept of space shifting wasn't yet a reality back in '84 when Universal v. Sony was decided so it's not explicitly covered by that decision. There is no doubt that as site like this is retransmitting content to multiple individuals , something that is explicitly not allowed both by current fair use and copyright laws without permission. The operators pleading ignorance in saying "Well I didn't know more then one person was watching the feed" probably isn't going to cut it, especially with them charging a membership fee for access to the forums.

And while I didn't say it was legal, i did say it was done as a hobby to provide content to "friends" they usually woudln't get otherwise. Same goes for having you come to my house to watch a PPV Boxing event that I paid for and you didn't. And like I said, dont bring cheetohs, because I am then profiting.
Having friends over for a PPV boxing event is legal. They just can't charge admission. Cheetos is not an admission. You aren't going to be able to turn around and sell the Cheetos for a financial or commercial gain. The same applies to hot wings, beer, or most any other party type foods. The food is for the social gathering which just happens to be centered around a football game or boxing match.

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. If the file is on another computer, verify that you are connected to the network. If you typed a path, verify that it is correct. If the problem persists, the server might not be available.

I keep getting this error. Any ideas?

TIA

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. If the file is on another computer, verify that you are connected to the network. If you typed a path, verify that it is correct. If the problem persists, the server might not be available.

I keep getting this error. Any ideas?

TIA

you can't use Windows Media Center to play the feeds. you need to use Winamp. If you're already signed up for the service follow this thread for easy install instructions. This goes for anyone that is signed up actually.

http://streamtvnow.tv/board/showthread.php?t=26218

if you have any other issues, send me a PM.

No it's not illegal to Tivo it. The SCOTUS upheld time shifting as fair use in Sony v Universal. That case revolved around tape recording content but the same applies to DVR. Place shifting, transmitting a broadcast from one location to another has yet to be officially ruled on by any courts. Placeshifting use similar to spaceshifting (like saving a MP3 to a iPod) to a single device owned by you likely is legal as it's still within personal fair use guidelines. However placeshifting has the potential for many more people to view a broadcast. This use likely is not covered under fair and would be deemed illegal.

<snip>

well you pretty much just schooled me. however i disagree with your point about bringing food as an admission

Just because I can't turn around and sell your cheetos, doens't mean i didn't profit. Also, why couldn't i sell your cheetos? I easily could sell them, but my point is, if i say "you gotta bring something or you can't come" i'm basically charging an admission. an admission that helps me to profit by not needing to supply the snacks throughout the event.

however, you took my ass to school on the law cases and whatnot. i applaud you for being informed.

the point of my post though, was to argue that there are gray areas here. and while some shows and episodes and events are going to be blatant in their non-legal ways, others are in that gray area, due to rights or even whoever owns them.

one more thought. follow THIS link to setup the programs you need

http://rapidshare.com/files/35294739/Strea...w_Installer.zip

click "free user" when downloading that link you dont have to pay for anything.

you can use that linkto setup the programs and try their test streams also, to see if you like it or not.

Edited by LooGie