[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

#2 Rated conference ?

theeohiostate

I'm not a believer !

Baylor destroys Washington St

Maryland manhandles Cal

TCU kills Stanford

Hawaii up on Oregon St 7-0

BYU up on UCLA 35-0

Purdue is showing up Oregon 20-3

It's no wonder USC is the favorite to make a NC bid. They won't be tested the entire season after today.

Not bashing here, but I'd like a Pac 10 homer to defend this week. Not a good sign. I'm sure they'll be ready for conference play so they can start getting some W's.

Truly a tough week for the Pac-10. But there's been a few changes since your post. You still can't change the fact that the only teams in the COUNTRY that beats USC is the teams in the Pac-10.

This whole conference vs. conference thing is tired.

I've been trying to stay out of the college football debates in this forum for a while, but I have to admit... this is one of the first things that I've read in a while that makes any sense at all. All of premiere conferences are made up of teams who, for the most part, have top-notch athletes. USC, OSU, LSU, OU.... It doesn't matter who you're talking about. They ALL get great players/athletes. Execution makes the difference. I'm not going to say that execution will beat talent every time, because that's not necessarily true, either. But, I think it is certainly more of a deciding factor when these top-10 teams face off than talent is. To say that one team is simply faster than another, when you're talking about two teams playing for a national championship, is ridiculous. They're all fast. They're all good. They were all the best of the best in high school. Does anybody really think that there are just better/faster football players in one part of the country than another? Give me a break.

Bottom line... Any given Saturday, any of the top conferences can make one of the other conferences look pretty bad. This week, it's the Pac-10. Next week, who knows. I will agree with two things:

- The Big 10 is down somewhat, compared to a few years ago, as a whole. By the end of this year, however, who knows? That's why they play the games.

- The SEC is clearly the best conference in the country, top to bottom. Other than that, it's a crap-shoot every week.

And, Oregon and Purdue are now tied in OT, so anybody who thinks that either of these conferences is clearly superior to the other needs to take off the homer glasses. :wacko:

I've been trying to stay out of the college football debates in this forum for a while, but I have to admit... this is one of the first things that I've read in a while that makes any sense at all. All of premiere conferences are made up of teams who, for the most part, have top-notch athletes. USC, OSU, LSU, OU.... It doesn't matter who you're talking about. They ALL get great players/athletes. Execution makes the difference. I'm not going to say that execution will beat talent every time, because that's not necessarily true, either. But, I think it is certainly more of a deciding factor when these top-10 teams face off than talent is. To say that one team is simply faster than another, when you're talking about two teams playing for a national championship, is ridiculous. They're all fast. They're all good. They were all the best of the best in high school. Does anybody really think that there are just better/faster football players in one part of the country than another? Give me a break.

Bottom line... Any given Saturday, any of the top conferences can make one of the other conferences look pretty bad. This week, it's the Pac-10. Next week, who knows. I will agree with two things:

- The Big 10 is down somewhat, compared to a few years ago, as a whole. By the end of this year, however, who knows? That's why they play the games.

- The SEC is clearly the best conference in the country, top to bottom. Other than that, it's a crap-shoot every week.

And, Oregon and Purdue are now tied in OT, so anybody who thinks that either of these conferences is clearly superior to the other needs to take off the homer glasses. :wacko:

Pretty much on the money with this post. Let's not overlook the Big 12. Look at what they did last year and if you compare them to the SEC this year one could say that they're the Top conference in college football. I personally think Oklahoma and Missouri could both beat the Top 2 SEC teams. Unless of course you give Stoops 3-4 weeks to prepare :D

Pac 10 has only 1 team that could beat the top 5 Big 10 schools . Pac 10 is USC and done.

Pac 10 slides to #4 in my rankings.

Please...

UNLV beats Arizona St

TCU over Stanford

New Mexico over Arizona

Baylor over Washington St

Maryland over Cal

BYU over UCLA

Michigan gives these teams a game, that is pretty sad considering...

Pac 10 has only 1 team that could beat the top 5 Big 10 schools . Pac 10 is USC and done.

Please...

UNLV beats Arizona St

TCU over Stanford

New Mexico over Arizona

Maryland over Cal

BYU over UCLA

m-o-r-a-n

yer best just got absolutely destroyed by our best and you have the ba11s to saw the Big 11 is better? pure comedy

one wknd doochh - you do realize the Pac 10 is 3-1 vs yer weak conference right? I am sure that doesn't figure in to yer simple mind.

now watch as USC breezed thru the non conference, and will have their HANDS FULL when they battle Oregon, ASU and CAL - who are all gonna battle USC tougher and give USC a better game than OSU did............

one point that speaks volumes about the OSU and the Big 11 is that OSU could now run the table, only have the USC loss,

take the Big 11 title AND THEY STILL WILL NOT MAKE THE BCS TITLE GAME.........sorry

Edited by wildcat2334

Please...

UNLV beats Arizona St

TCU over Stanford

New Mexico over Arizona

Maryland over Cal

BYU over UCLA

This boy is in desperate need of some Therapy. :D

Oregon would beat any of the Top 5 in the Big 10 and Cal and Arizona St would definately hold their own. But you hold on to that :wacko: if that makes you feel better about the A$$ woopin your boys took yesterday :D

Oregon was lucky to beat Purdue, who is a borderline top-five Big 10 team. Personally, I think Oregon is the better team than Purdue... they got off to a really bad start, and were able to battle back and win in OT. My guess is Oregon beats Purdue seven times out of 10 on a neutral field. BUT, like I said, Purdue is probably #5 in their conference at best. To say Oregon would beat anyone in the Big 10 is a pretty big stretch.

As a Minnesota fan, but not necessarily a Big 10 fan or apologist, my honest opinion is that USC is clearly the best team in either conference. I don't necessarily think that they beat OSU by five TD's each time if they play 10 times, especially on a neutral field, but they're definitely better. The reason I say that is that I think OSU IS better than last night's score indicates. They had no problem moving the ball early. Mistakes killed them, not the refs. But, if both teams were to play "mistake-free" football, if there is such a thing, I see USC winning that game by 10-14 points. Neutral field, maybe a little less... probably 7-10. No way to tell, however, if they're the best in the country. And, with the current post-season format, there is no way to even make that assessment at season's end, necessarily. But, we should have a much better idea.

Throw USC and OSU out of the equation, and these two conferences are pretty equal....

ASU/Oregon/Cal = PSU/Wisc/Illinois

UCLA :wacko: and Michigan are both down, obviously. Or maybe UCLA never made it back "up"... I'm not sure which.

The rest of both conferences are mediocre to poor teams, for the most part. That's what separates the SEC from either of these conferences, in my opinion. A "crap" South Carolina team, as someone put it, challenges the best team in the SEC yesterday well into the 4th quarter. Not because Georgia sucks, but because the conference is REALLY DEEP. Neither the Pac 10 or Big 10 go deeper than 3-4 legitimate bowl teams. There may be a couple more from each conference that actually make bowls, but it's not because they're good. It's because they win 6-7 games that they SHOULD win, beating nobody that's any good. Believe me, I know this formula all too well... Minnesota has used it for years, winning 6 or 7 games a year with a very good running game, a weak passing game, and no defense.

This boy is in desperate need of some Therapy. :D

Oregon would beat any of the Top 5 in the Big 10 and Cal and Arizona St would definately hold their own. But you hold on to that :wacko: if that makes you feel better about the A$$ woopin your boys took yesterday :D

:D

Oregon needed alot of luck to beat a bottom feeder Big 10 team. Now you think they could be OSU/PSU/Wisc/Illinois

Keep dreaming.

Pac 10 < Big 10 ...................and it isn't even close this season.

Pac 10 is USC and a bunch of scrubs. Big 10 would wipe the floor with every team in that conference seed to seed.

Oregon was lucky to beat Purdue, who is a borderline top-five Big 10 team. Personally, I think Oregon is the better team than Purdue... they got off to a really bad start, and were able to battle back and win in OT. My guess is Oregon beats Purdue seven times out of 10 on a neutral field. BUT, like I said, Purdue is probably #5 in their conference at best. To say Oregon would beat anyone in the Big 10 is a pretty big stretch.

As a Minnesota fan, but not necessarily a Big 10 fan or apologist, my honest opinion is that USC is clearly the best team in either conference. I don't necessarily think that they beat OSU by five TD's each time if they play 10 times, especially on a neutral field, but they're definitely better. The reason I say that is that I think OSU IS better than last night's score indicates. They had no problem moving the ball early. Mistakes killed them, not the refs. But, if both teams were to play "mistake-free" football, if there is such a thing, I see USC winning that game by 10-14 points. Neutral field, maybe a little less... probably 7-10. No way to tell, however, if they're the best in the country. And, with the current post-season format, there is no way to even make that assessment at season's end, necessarily. But, we should have a much better idea.

Throw USC and OSU out of the equation, and these two conferences are pretty equal....

ASU/Oregon/Cal = PSU/Wisc/Illinois

UCLA :wacko: and Michigan are both down, obviously. Or maybe UCLA never made it back "up"... I'm not sure which.

The rest of both conferences are mediocre to poor teams, for the most part. That's what separates the SEC from either of these conferences, in my opinion. A "crap" South Carolina team, as someone put it, challenges the best team in the SEC yesterday well into the 4th quarter. Not because Georgia sucks, but because the conference is REALLY DEEP. Neither the Pac 10 or Big 10 go deeper than 3-4 legitimate bowl teams. There may be a couple more from each conference that actually make bowls, but it's not because they're good. It's because they win 6-7 games that they SHOULD win, beating nobody that's any good. Believe me, I know this formula all too well... Minnesota has used it for years, winning 6 or 7 games a year with a very good running game, a weak passing game, and no defense.

whooaaa - could not disagree more - did you watch the Purdue game? yes they came out flat- but they shot themselves in the foot over and over in that ballgame - Purdue was lucky OU wasn't scoring. OU played a flat game, but most days they destroy that Purdue team

you want to talkl ucky. Wisky was very very fortunae that the Fresno kicker missed 3 FG - wasn't impressed by Wisky at all

Illinois is not good

USC

ORE - better than any team in the Big 11

CAL/ASU - will rebound and have nice seasons

listen - the Pac 10 had a bad wknd- agreed. BUT the BIG 11 is a J -O-K-E and an effing punchline across the country -

there is no knowledgeable football fan in the country that thinks the Big 11 is better than the Pac 10

how does it feel to have ZERO chance at the BCS title game in early September? stay hot Big 11

I agree tho - the SEC and Big 12 are both strong, and deep and 1-2 right now

whooaaa - could not disagree more - did you watch the Purdue game? yes they came out flat- but they shot themselves in the foot over and over in that ballgame - Purdue was lucky OU wasn't scoring. OU played a flat game, but most days they destroy that Purdue team

you want to talkl ucky. Wisky was very very fortunae that the Fresno kicker missed 3 FG - wasn't impressed by Wisky at all

Illinois is not good

USC

listen - the Pac 10 had a bad wknd- agreed. BUT the BIG 11 is a J -O-K-E and an effing punchline across the country -

there is no knowledgeable football fan in the country that thinks the Big 11 is better than the Pac 10

how does it feel to have ZERO chance at the BCS title game in early September? stay hot Big 11

Well if you want to armchair QB the Purdue-Oregon game, then you need to look no further than the 3rd quarter where Purdue had the lead, and gave Oregon more chances than they should've gotten to get back in the game with extremely poor time management and stupid play calling, combined with very poor QB play all game long by Curtis Painter. Not to mention Purdue and there major special teams miscue. Some of the poorest coverage ever. When the ball is in the air and while its in the air, you position your coverage team so that the only person that can POSSIBLY make the play is the kicker, then you have some major problems.

As for Wisconsin... they travelled to Fresno State, played a good football team, something NO ONE in the Pac 10 has any balls to do, and the commentators were joking about that all game long. Give Wisconsin credit for taking a gig with absolutely no upside to it at all, and coming away with the W. Do I think that makes the Badgers a good football team? No, but they were much more impressive in a place where no Pac 10 team wants to play than anyone in the Pac 10 outside of USC was all day long. No other non BCS team besides Utah has more wins over BCS opponents than does Fresno State, so it wasn't an easy test at all. It was a tougher test than the Maryland and UNLV teams that beat Arizona State and Cal. Maryland barely snuck by Delaware.

Illinois is not good

USC

Read my post. I said that I believe Oregon is the better team. Call it lucky, call it fortunate... whatever. Oregon is very relieved today to have come out of the Midwest with a W yesterday. Yeah, they should have scored early. No chit. But, they DIDN"T and they GOT DOWN BIG EARLY. Any team that gets down by 20 and then wins is lucky/fortunate that they were able to dig themselves out of the hole that they put themselves in.

As far as the rest of your post, you clearly have a huge Pac 10 bias that is distorting your judgement, but everyone who reads your posts already knew that. :D

Oregon better than any team in the Big 10... :wacko: It's no wonder you're just a message board lurker. I would hate to see how much cash you would lose if you took your knowledge to the other side of these boards and joined some legit leagues...

Edited by Gopher

Read my post. I said that I believe Oregon is the better team. Call it lucky, call it fortunate... whatever. Oregon is very relieved today to have come out of the Midwest with a W yesterday. Yeah, they should have scored early. No chit. But, they DIDN"T and they GOT DOWN BIG EARLY. Any team that gets down by 20 and then wins is lucky/fortunate that they were able to dig themselves out of the hole that they put themselves in.

As far as the rest of your post, you clearly have a huge Pac 10 bias that is distorting your judgement, but everyone who reads your posts already knew that. :D

Oregon better than any team in the Big 10... :wacko: It's no wonder you're just a message board lurker. I would hate to see how much cash you would lose if you took your knowledge to the other side of these boards and joined some legit leagues...

lurker?? funn chit cash? take a look at pics yesterday dumba$$ - in a BOTH league and college pick em which are chump change to be honest

listen, I am a Pac 10 guy 100%, but I have a good over all feel, and knowledge of the college game - and it is laughable to me that any of you Big 11 homers can POP OFF about yer conference AT ALL- just go hunker down for the winter - get fat eating brats and give it a go in 2009 b/c the Big 11 is a joke nation-wide.

and yes - Oregon would beat anyone you guys rolled out -

Pac 10 had a bad weekend, I think listing it behind the SEC and Big 12 is about right.

lurker?? funn chit cash? take a look at pics yesterday dumba$$ - in a BOTH league and college pick em which are chump change to be honest

listen, I am a Pac 10 guy 100%, but I have a good over all feel, and knowledge of the college game - and it is laughable to me that any of you Big 11 homers can POP OFF about yer conference AT ALL- just go hunker down for the winter - get fat eating brats and give it a go in 2009 b/c the Big 11 is a joke nation-wide.

and yes - Oregon would beat anyone you guys rolled out -

Pac 10 had a bad weekend, I think listing it behind the SEC and Big 12 is about right.

Classic... I rest my case.

I don't really find the ranking outrageous. Not because the Pac 10 is all that, but because nobody else is. Maybe the Big 12 has something to say about this but really nobody else. ACC and Big East? Please. Big 11? Really? Wisconson looks to be leading the charge and they essentially upset unranked Fresno St. this weekend. I say that because all the talking heads were calling Fresno to "upset" Wisconson and agreed that means it really wouldn't be an upset if they did.

So, if any Big 12 homers want to claim disrespect, I'm all ears. However, TOSser needs to lay off the sour grapes.

It also must be noted again detlef, that Fresno State was playing this game like it was their super bowl. Every year they schedule tougher than any of the Non-BCS schools, and they FINALLY got a BCS school to come into their place for a game. This is ridiculous when you consider the Pac 10 should send a team to there place once in awhile and the announcers were sh|tting all over the Pac 10. So the fact that Wisconsin stepped up and took the gig with WAC officials, in a game with no upside at all for them. I say that, because you're making my point with your post. They had no upside. You thought they weren't all that great to begin with, and look, they barely beat Fresno State, a non bcs school, they are overrated. But if you look at everything that went into that game, and the fact that Fresno State has a pretty good team, you get a close game.

1. Spelled Wisconsin.

2. Fresno State was ranked #21.

1 my bad

2 must have been unranked in at least one poll. I was actually at a weekend long charity bike ride but when I saw the box score in the paper or where ever I saw the score, Wisc had a ranking in paranthesis but FSU did not.

It also must be noted again detlef, that Fresno State was playing this game like it was their super bowl. Every year they schedule tougher than any of the Non-BCS schools, and they FINALLY got a BCS school to come into their place for a game. This is ridiculous when you consider the Pac 10 should send a team to there place once in awhile and the announcers were sh|tting all over the Pac 10. So the fact that Wisconsin stepped up and took the gig with WAC officials, in a game with no upside at all for them. I say that, because you're making my point with your post. They had no upside. You thought they weren't all that great to begin with, and look, they barely beat Fresno State, a non bcs school, they are overrated. But if you look at everything that went into that game, and the fact that Fresno State has a pretty good team, you get a close game.

I think you're reading too much into what I'm saying. I'm not saying FSU is a nobody. None the less. In a weekend where the two most storied teams in your conference got soundly beaten, that the best thing that happened was that Wisc gutted out a narrow victory over a small conference team sort of says that the Big 10 isn't really all that.

Honestly, this shouldn't come as a huge surprise and I really don't want to get into a pissing match with you or any of the non-myopic Big 10 fans. I wouldn't have even bothered chiming in on this were it not for the fact that TOSser was the guy who started this thread. Something about glass houses and rocks...

Just think about it for a moment. You're the Big 10 and you're looking for propers because one of your top teams went to Fresno St. and pulled out a gutty win. So, I guess we're both making each others points.

teams NOT wanting to go to Fresno, is not just a Pac 10 thing, cmon- it is nationwide. They are in Pac 10 country, yes, but let's be real here- one thing the Pac 10 does year in and year out is they go play good teams on the road out of conference - that is not really debatable.

since 2002 - here is a list of BCS schools that have played @Fresno

Oregon State

UCLA

UVA

KState - who supposedly vowed to never return

Oregon

Wisky -

there are many rumors about teams backing out- should the Pac 10 go there more often? probly - should the Big 11, 12 and SEC sack up once in a while yes- will they? doubt it.

Wisky was fortnuate to get out with a W - there was a really bad reversal that went Fresn's way, and the Fresno kicker missed 2 late FG - but hey, they survived.